Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: DANGER BE Careful Using Parts Washers

Here are some of the alternatives out there that, unlike some of the others mentioned, have been government tested and approved. Hope this helps.

Link to Products Page: http://www.hurrisafe.com/products.htm

Link to Home Page: http://www.hurrisafe.com/
Old 01-02-2007, 06:24 AM

Hello Joe,
I am saden to read the bad news of your health. Your message has told us of what will happen over time of using these chemicals.
Thank you,
Drew Papsun
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'm 35 and restore classics so my exposure has been limited so far... I'm off to ebay now to find some gloves!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM

Joe, I wish you all the best, thanks for sharing this. The young guys in my camaro club laugh at my gloves - young &amp; foolish.

I fill my little parts washer iwth water &amp; zep orange.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 AM

Joe, I also wish you the very best.During my working life
I was also a Health &amp; safety Rep. for 20 years, and was very aware of the dangers of chemical absorption through the skin.
Your hands will absorb chemicals that will end up in your liver.
That also applies to household cleaning chemicals like Javex
commonly used at home. You should also avoid exposure to engine and transmision oils .Treating all chemicals as potential Hazards will serve you well. take time to read the hazard warnings on the container and if you need to work with these substances then personal proper protection
is a must.
PJ
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 AM

Thanks PJ the more I talk to people the more cases I hear of us young gearheads battling rare forms of cancer.The thing that shocked me in all of this was the fact the chemicals we thought we were using were safe but more important was our discovery that they do not come out of your clothing with a normal machine wash plus if you use the family washer they are being spread to other clothing.I have had clothing tested in a lab and this holds true. Seems the detergent manufacturers changed the formulations over the past 20 years and removed tri sodium phosphate which did wonders on toxins.Today there is nothing in the mix to do the same. They will tell you zeolite takes care of metals but what they are not saying is that it is size A or P which has pores too small to do anything and serves as nothing but a water softener.
getting it in the skin is one thing keeping it off your clothes is equally important.
Take care Joe
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 AM

Joe you are asolutely correct, the family is also affected by the chemicals you bring home.
Inhalation is another way chemicals enter your body.
When I was a safety rep for our workplace I noticed a patern of industial disease occuring in in our workers at the plant.In one paricular case a worker related to me one day that while working on kevlar in the plastic shop he developed a onset of temporary blindness,and was not able to drive home. This scared the H---ll out of me. So the next morning I handed out a survey asking for examples of
symptoms arizing out of working with chemicals. When the responses came back I knew we had a serious problem.
So we hired a independent clinic to do an assesment of our workers and report their findings.The report that came back
confirmed our suspicions. The company was hiding the incidents of industrial disease from the workers and the workers Compensation Board.
The s--it hit the fan, we had 300 employees that refused to work on the grounds that the chemicals they were working with were ijureing them and they had no knowledge on how to protect themselves. Well we ended up fixing the problem
as the company agreed to train each employee and provide the plant with material safety data sheets, provide proper safety equipment and install fresh air syatems in the plant.
This was in 1985. this action on safey prompted the provinial goverment of the day to legislate safety for the workers and the right to know what they were working with.
It took the efforts of many to rectify this serious problem."Felt real good"
PJ
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Being a service tech I work with several other guys and we have discussed this issue several times, I have bean on the glove program for many years now, but some guys will never learn, i saw a guy at work a month ago spraying carb cleaner up and down his arms, he said he had poison ivy and that the carb cleaner dries it out and will make it go away, this guy had alot of open sores from it and i thought, (what a GOON) go get a prescription from your doctor, UNBELIEVABLE

raiv 69 judge, ra3 70 judge, 71 judge,74 SD trans am,71 cudas, 67 189 Corvette roadster, Quicksilver 68 HURST
z-10 396 camaro, 69 HEMIBEE
Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 AM

Joe mentioned that they have taken tri sodium phosphate (TSP) our of laundry detergents. You can buy TSP in cartons and add it to your washing machine when doing your garage clothes. Might just save a few people. You can't count on big business to do anything positive unless a law is passed. It's sad that so few companies have any morals or principals.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,140 Posts

For obvious reasons I've been hesitant to bring this up..
I haven't heard from our friend Joe or had any response to my emails to him for months now also see he hasn't posted here since April...anyone know anything?.

~ Pete

--------------------
I like real cars best...the REAL real ones!