Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Default importing antique car parts from US to Canada vis-à-vis import duty / tariff charges

Hi sYc Friends, I trust everyone's safe & well.

When I restored my car in the mid 90s there was a Canada Customs & Excise Duty exemption (code) for antique car parts that I took advantage of - parts had to be 25 years old / for cars that old and my '69 just recently qualified when I started working on it, so I used that code and typically the front line border inspectors were unaware of it, but once I got past secondary and spoke to a supervisor at the counter, they were usually able to look it up / confirm it and then it was just GST & PST (ON) and no duty. I took a copy of the registration to prove I actually owned that type of car that was that old and proof (AIM) of the part number / application / that it fit it. Wasn't always necessary but I had it in case, most of these agents have bigger things on their radar and if the part looked old (rusty / dirty) and the value was not crazy they'd acquiesce.

So, I did a quick check just now and it still seems to exist in some form; if I was in the same position today, I'd use this code when importing parts either via shipping or in personal importation at the border when they reopen:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...15-20-eng.html "articles" = "parts"

Print it out and take copies with you is my advice. Of course, to argue this in person at the border would likely be more successful, if they chose to ignore it at the border with something that is shipped to you, that's another thing. I've just paid duty in the past then argued it over the phone later with the receipt and I've gotten them to reimburse me. Just depends what your time is worth... me, I didn't have better things to do back then...

Now, I'm not a lawyer or giving any kind of legal / moral advice here - this post is just a link to the (an) official Canadian Government www that anyone could find in 5 minutes of searching; I'm just pointing you here to take a look and inform yourselves.

Be well everyone!
Anthony
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AnthonyS For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (05-20-2020), dustinm (05-22-2020), HawkX66 (05-22-2020), PeteLeathersac (05-20-2020), SS427 (05-19-2020)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I have found there is seldom an issue regarding duty, but they do charge tax on the purchase by converting the amount into CDN dollars then multiplying by the Provincial rate, then there is the GST on top of that.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing Anthony!