Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Sponsors > Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals

Old 05-12-2020, 06:54 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts
Default Premier Level Judging for the MCACN Show

The MCACN team is currently researching a higher level of Judging that will be offered on a very limited basis. Our friends from MASCAR Classics, who you all know are huge supporters of what we do, have stepped up to be the Official Sponsors of this new venture.

The basic difference between this and our Concours judging is that this judging would not allow reproduction parts or "over" restoration. Each and every part number would be inspected and the cars would be placed on a lift for undercarriage inspection. Replication of factory build techniques would be encouraged, and full documentation would be required in advance of acceptance. Unlike Vintage Certification, this is strictly for restored cars.

Of course, we realize there are very few cars that would qualify for this type of judging. We also realize that since our inception, we have had cars that indeed DO meet this criteria, and we feel we are overdue in separating these cars, allowing them to truly rise above.

With our access to many of the most knowledgeable and respected members of the Muscle Car community, we have been getting input on how to roll out this program properly. We are still working out details, and of course, we welcome your input.

This would certainly not be for the faint of heart, and will be extremely limited.

Stay Tuned....

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bashton For This Useful Post:
flyingn (05-13-2020), hurstL78 (05-14-2020), olredalert (05-12-2020), RST (05-17-2020), SS427 (05-12-2020), wthirty1 (05-18-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_3146.JPG IMG_3145.jpg FullSizeRender.jpeg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Always something new at MCACN!!!

I can think of very few cars that could enter this class but a couple come to mind.

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan1969Chevelle For This Useful Post:
RST (05-17-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:16 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Bob, awesome to hear...The MASCAR group are amazing folks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
RST (05-17-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:34 PM

Well done Scott & Kenny. You guys are awesome. It's about time indeed!
The Following User Says Thank You to 69Z28Freak For This Useful Post:
RST (05-17-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:54 AM

Thanked 1,293 Times in 501 Posts

Long overdue....No way a roundy round car that has ZERO originality should compete with restored cars. I can think of 3 cars that were way more deserving last year and had the pedigree/originality to set them apart from a car that had an all white interior, engine compartment, and undercarriage. Hopefully going forward you won’t compare apples to oranges. Just my .02 cent opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copo_Cartel For This Useful Post:
Mr. Chevy (05-14-2020), RST (05-17-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copo_Cartel View Post
Long overdue....No way a roundy round car that has ZERO originality should compete with restored cars. I can think of 3 cars that were way more deserving last year and had the pedigree/originality to set them apart from a car that had an all white interior, engine compartment, and undercarriage. Hopefully going forward you won’t compare apples to oranges. Just my .02 cent opinion.
Point taken; however....

We will be separating period correct but modified cars from the factory stock cars for consideration of the Platinum Pick and Emerald awards effective immediately, as it is indeed trying to compare apples to oranges.

This category is specific to ONLY factory stock cars.

So with that being said, perhaps you did not take a close look at the "roundy round" car that took top honors. It was indeed restored with period correct parts throughout to the absolute highest standards. Consider trying to find a set of period correct tires, hoses, clamps, wheels, etc etc for a car that was campaigned by an independent as a modified race car back in 1969, duplicating the way it was built for the track.

Sorry you feel that way Doug, as your car is certainly among the finest restored Yenko's in existence, but in this case we stand by the call.

This is one of the reasons I do not like the concept of 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc, as there is far too much that is subjective. Bottom line is that either car, and as you stated several others, were deserving of the award, but only one can rise to the top.

Perhaps you would like to apply to participate in this new format? As with our other categories, (Concours, Concours Day 2, Super Street) it does not pit car vs car, but will be judged for each individual car on its on merit.

Thanks;

Bashton
www.mcacn.com

Last edited by bashton; 05-14-2020 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bashton For This Useful Post:
RST (05-17-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:59 PM

I know we are splitting hairs ...but it is great idea to have different levels of judging to ensure fairness to both styles of cars because the Trans AM was a purpose built race car after it sold new and modified 100%...I did take a look at the final assembly/restoration...I commend the shop who did all of the extensive quality sheet metal work because all they started with was a roof and rockers ...from what I see on the internet photos the hidden vin down by the blower motor is gone and the sheet metal is all Japanese based on the photos. Kuddos to their team for resurrecting the dead. But I stand by my opinion because all of the Japanese sheet metal in its own right cannot be best GM .
The Following User Says Thank You to Copo_Cartel For This Useful Post:
Mr. Chevy (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:59 PM

I feel “premier level of judging” is black and white. There is a lot of gray in a “roundy round race car”.
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggerSS For This Useful Post:
Copo_Cartel (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerSS View Post
I feel “premier level of judging” is black and white. There is a lot of gray in a “roundy round race car”.
Very true . With a race car...you build with your own discretion and no one can dispute it....and if you go off photos ...they are at a distance without intricate detail. JMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to Copo_Cartel For This Useful Post:
RST (05-17-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerSS View Post
The new Premier Level is reserved strictly for factory stock restored cars, so any race car would not be eligible.

In fact, a 1967 or 1968 Yenko modified car would also not be eligible, due to the engine transformation.

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
The Following User Says Thank You to bashton For This Useful Post:
RST (05-17-2020)