Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 10-27-2003, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Jim Kirby's 1968 Harrell Funny Car for Sale!

396L35,
Who in the heck is trying to charge money? They are basically holding history hostage! Porterfield went way out of his way to restore the ZL-1 to be the Harrell car, now history has to stop for the next generations so they cant experience it? If Dick were with us I am sure he would want nothing more then to see his life's work and ambitions respected and paid tribute to by having his name out there for everyone to see and enjoy to this day. He wouldnt want a few bucks in his pocket, he would want to hear his name over the loudspeaker at the drags! I would give anything possible to have that funny car, I would put Dick's name back on the car and let the attorneys try and catch me to try and take it off. The current owner didnt give me a ball park figure, so I dont know if this is something feasible for me to alter my life to go after or not. This car needs to be put back as it was to preserve history! A new owner could always get a legal name change to Dick Harrell then put it on the car!
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 05:33 AM

I'm glad you feel the same way as I do. I have been part of this cars history bringing back from the dead out of Kirbys garage and it has been fun. The person is Harrells daughter, she is the one that caused the sell of the car to be put on halt. She feels that she owns the rights to her fathers name and wants to be paid for the name where ever it may appear, even on a race car that was helping her father put food on the table for her when she was younger. Jim Kirby used his money to buy the car and Harrell came to him and asked him to race under his flag. I feel this car should have that name with it without paying the royalties from some greedy person. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 05:39 AM

Find out what the bottom line is with your friend if I give my word to run the Dick Harrell name on the car. Let me know.
Thanks,
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 05:48 AM

I think if you go down to see him and look at the car you can get your your answer from him. It's only a five hour drive from Chi-Town. I don't know what he wants for the car nor do I know what he gave for it that was between him and Jim and I didn't want to know. He probably would be willing to trade for the car but like I said its not mine to say. I know he was going to reword it and put it back on ebay, but if you want to see it I will tell him to hold off. I dont think the car needs to be redone. It is kinda cool to see the faint letters in the gold leaf and Dicks daughter cant take that away. Mark [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a once in a life time opprotunity to own an <font color="red">all origional Dick Harrell 1968 Camaro funny car </font> .How many of these cars do you think are still around?Much less one that has never been wrecked,repainted,or stripped of it's original parts.You will not have to go looking for anything to enjoy this car right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the one that wrote up the ebay add caused most of the confusion with that statement.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:36 PM

Get me a number and an address I would be interested in speaking with the owner about purchacing this car. I am local here in St. Louis.
Thanks Doug Herzog
www.herzogracingengines.com
Old 10-27-2003, 03:21 PM

Maurice, I think your right about the ad that was on Ebay, it is confusing but what he was trying to say is that it was sponsored by Harrell and the car is still in the Harrell paint. As for the daughter of Dick Harrell I wanted to say that I was sorry for being so harsh towards you because I recieved a phone call this morning telling me the reasons for the money to advertise your fathers name. If anybody should get money from his name it should be the family first. Thanks, Mark [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Mark, nice post. Glad you, the owner and the family were able to work things out. A really neat car, where ever it ends up, and with whatever paint scheme. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
I would put Dick's name back on the car and let the attorneys try and catch me to try and take it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, the very reason folks assoicated with supercar families at times seem cold and/or hard to deal with. Often times they feel used and abused, simply over a few $$$. Following Vettefset last year, the Gibb family was drawn into a mud slinging affair over a "proposed" Gibb funnycar. Just recently Mr. Motion had to resort to legal actions to try and clear up a matter he was drawn into, and now the Harrell family. At least get both sides of the story (speak with Valerie), as Mark did, before going off on one of your rants. IMO, these familes deserve our respect, not our bashing.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:59 PM

Tom just so theres no missunderstanding the "proposed" 1969 Gibb funnycar was for sale at Vettefest for what I considered a fair price of $25,000.There was no name attached to that car whatsoever and being that price i was not taking advantage of anybodys name.What transpired at the show is over and done with.I get along with the Gibb family and respect them as great people.Just clarifying.I do agree with Tom in one aspect Hope Yenko deserves respect for not charging to put the Yenko name on the Yenko cars.