Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I just noticed we got an added bonus: it turns out the car came has a set of 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 rear, Black Edition, 5 spoke mags off the 6th gen Camaro SS. That is why it has mongo rubber on the car: 275/40ZR20 fronts and 315/35ZR20 rears!

The car originally had the plain aluminum 18" wheels. At least this explains the lack of TPMS sensors in these wheels. They must have left them in the old 18" wheels when they took them off the car.
Those are definitely not the stock size tires for those wheels on a 6th gen. It should have 275/35/20 rear, 245/40/20 front. 315 is way too wide for a stock 9.5" wide rear wheel. Check to see if they have the GM tm and part numbers on them. They could be wider aftermarket replicas. There are a couple of companies that offer wider replicas.

fwiw, the stock ZL1 and SS 1LE rear wheel is a 20x11 and comes with a 305 tire.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:05 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I will measure them later today. It does look cool and handles great with those monster tires on it.

Finding this car has kindled my interest in the 5th gen Camaros. I’d love to find an unmolested 2012-2015 ZL1 but it seems they are like 4th gen F bodies - everybody started modifying/abusing them as soon as they drove home from the dealership. There don’t seem to be any nice untouched ones around.

Last edited by njsteve; 07-16-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:24 PM

Steve,
In June of 2009 I rented a brand new Camaro on a trip. First drive in the first one I ever saw in the wilds.

For fun at the time, I wrote up this auto journalist style road test impression report for my buddies and family. Forgot all about it until now so I dug it up. Thought you and your son might get a kick out of it.

Thanks,

Bill

2010 Camaro 2 Day Test Drive

On my latest trip, I decided to rent a new Camaro to thoroughly check it out. Picked a black one (of course) with a 300 hp V6 and 6 speed automatic. That was the only power option they had. First impression was as I have seen in passing and in photos, there are great viewing angles, and some angles the appear out of proportion. I love the aggressiveness from the front, even with the slight under-bite look. Overall it is just a bit too cartoonish to be right on, but it is I guess a nice interpretation of the 69. The one I had was rolling on standard 18" BF Goodrich Radial TAs. The 20" in my opinion make it look too much like a Hot Wheels car.

Once inside, the view out was fantastic. Compared to a Lamborghini. Compared to just about anything else, it was hard to see out of. The windshield pillar is so fat, and the outside mirrors are so big there is about a foot wide blind spot. After a few miles behind the wheel however, it became quite acceptable, and I quickly became comfortable with where the corners were, and remembered to hit turns at a good right angle, rather than having to do the merge type looking around. Seating was good, ergonomics good, climate control excellent, new XM radio controls and display convenient. Seat belts great compared to new Mustangs. The problem with the interior is the vast use of plastic. This car was a cloth seat version, so it never smelled like a new car. It smelled like a toy factory on a hot day. You would need optional interiors. There is enough plastic on the dash and door panels alone to build a whole subcompact car. The good side of that, surprisingly, was that there was zero glare off the dash when driving into the sun. Not sure how they did that, but it was very nice. Closing the door causes the window to slide up about an inch, so it seals up super tight. There was no wind noise at all on the highway. Very quiet and solid ride on the inside. Most new cars also can't be rode in comfortably with the window down due to wind buffeting, but this was just like an old car, you could put down the window and ride with your arm out. That was pretty nice in the evening.

Steering, Awesome. It had a direct responsive feel, not too heavy parking and not too light on the road. Not sure of the ratio, but it was quick enough. Wheel was a good size, but needed softer rim material. You may get that with an optional interior, at least I would hope.

Brakes. Excellent.

Transmission. In auto mode, uninspiring, as would be expected from a 6. There are so many gears, you never feel it change. Once I got the Manual Sport Mode all figured out, the fun began. The car changed completely when you could rev it into the torque band and control the shifts. The paddles need to be bigger so you can be flicking them in all wheel positions. They must not think people will be using them much, so the controls are like an afterthought. So if you were turning, and wanted to grab a different gear, you have to go search for it back at 9 and 3. I got ok at that, but the target is small.

Engine. Sweet. Torquey. I wish I knew what it looked like, but there is too much plastic shrouding under the hood to even get a glimpse. Rolling in first gear at 4000 rpm, mash the gas and it will spin these huge rear tires. A 6 cylinder! It sounds good too in the upper ranges. (Thus destroying my fuel mileage) The 300 hp in sport mode trans moves the car around very well. A V8 has to be a blast, but the lighter weight of this one made the curvy roads VERY pleasant to run. I expect the best scenario will be the 6 speed real manual trans. I asked for one and they looked at me like I was from outer space. Why would someone want a clutch in a rental car?!?

Presence. Fantastic. This car up staged everything on the road. Of course, it's probably the first one most people have seen, but you sure can't sneak around in it! EVERBODY waved, gave thumbs up, came over to talk about it. Hotel manager left the business to hang out in the parking lot. Cops waved and smiled. People would punch their friends and point so they would turn around and see it. It was cool to see so many people excited about a new American car. That will last probably until there are 20 of them in every neighborhood, but for now, it sure breeds excitement.

Back to the winding roads. I took it up to the park where they run the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. The only US sanctioned Grand Prix on real public roads anymore, and after a couple passes to check out traffic and safety, I put it in manual and unleashed it on a particularly nice section or two. WOW, they really got the handling, brakes, steering and roll control down pat. This was the best driving car I've been in for a long time under those conditions. Very impressive for a new US car. I was all smiles after that, then headed out for a nice dinner. Where it attracted another crowd.

So after 2 days, I had to drop it off. Averaged 21 mpg. It says capable of 29. Getting back in my Impala after the flight, I realized how much more I could now see, but it felt like a canoe on stilts. Get the interior plushed up a little, and I could fall for the new Camaro. Of course for $25k, you could have a real nice 1969, and have some $ left over to be fixing it all the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by SMS; 07-16-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:00 PM

Default My 2015

I have a 2015 6cylinder. I bought it a couple of years ago only had 8 thousand miles for 15 thousand just like a brand new car i love it
Attached Images

Last edited by jl8z28; 07-16-2021 at 08:05 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jl8z28 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (07-19-2021), markinnaples (07-27-2021), Xplantdad (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Those are definitely not the stock size tires for those wheels on a 6th gen. It should have 275/35/20 rear, 245/40/20 front. 315 is way too wide for a stock 9.5" wide rear wheel. Check to see if they have the GM tm and part numbers on them. They could be wider aftermarket replicas. There are a couple of companies that offer wider replicas.

fwiw, the stock ZL1 and SS 1LE rear wheel is a 20x11 and comes with a 305 tire.
I got out the camera and got some backside photos of the spokes and both the front and rear rims are 20" x 8-1/2" wide and part number 23434146.

I dont know why they put the cheapo (Zenna rear and Joyroad in the front) China-manufactured, monster size tires on these narrow rims, but they seem to fit and are flat across the tread with even wear all across. They are around 28-1/2" tall. When it comes time to replace them, we will be getting sizes closer to what should be on the 20" rim. Maybe 255/35x20s (27" tall) all around so they can be rotated? Or the stock size 245/40x20 which is 27-3/4" tall?
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 07-16-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I got out the camera and got some backside photos of the spokes and both the front and rear rims are 20" x 8-1/2" wide and part number 23434146.

I dont know why they put the cheapo (Zenna rear and Joyroad in the front) China-manufactured, monster size tires on these narrow rims, but they seem to fit and are flat across the tread with even wear all across. They are around 28-1/2" tall. When it comes time to replace them, we will be getting sizes closer to what should be on the 20" rim. Maybe 255/35x20s (27" tall) all around so they can be rotated? Or the stock size 245/40x20 which is 27-3/4" tall?

Ok so it has a set of squared I4/V6 6th gen 20" wheels on it. SS would have had wider rear wheels on it. Check the RPO codes to see what wheels/tires the car was ordered new with. It would be an 18", 19", 20" or even 21" wheel/tire. It doesn't appear to be an RS so it likely had 18" or 19" when new.

245/45/20 or 275/40/20 are the sizes that will match the oem tire height of the 18 and 19 that it would have come with. 245/45/20 is really what will fit that width of wheel the best but the 275 will work. The 315 tires are almost 3" wider than what should be on that width of wheel.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:21 PM

The RPO code sticker in the trunk says it came with 18" aluminum wheels originally. We drove the car another 250 miles yesterday to visit my Dad in CT. The car sure cruises nicely and got 27.5 MPG on regular.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,035 Times in 341 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will measure them later today. It does look cool and handles great with those monster tires on it.

Finding this car has kindled my interest in the 5th gen Camaros. I’d love to find an unmolested 2012-2015 ZL1 but it seems they are like 4th gen F bodies - everybody started modifying/abusing them as soon as they drove home from the dealership. There don’t seem to be any nice untouched ones around.
They are out there, takes some looking. A stock one will run 12s and respond nicely to mods. If you like limited edition cars, there is a Hot Wheels edition 5th gen Camaro SS, has badging and came in a nice blue color.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:07 PM

The boy and I attended the local cruise night on Saturday. He brought his Camaro and was quite proud of it. (me too). :-)
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
dykstra (08-03-2021), GearheadSS (08-02-2021), scuncio (08-02-2021)