Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default 1949 Chevrolet 3100 - V8 Prototype

Well, maybe not really. But that's my vision on this little pick'em up truck build I'm doing. I like the AD trucks and always thought it would be neat to build one that would replicate something more along the lines of a factory style conversion version versus a chromed out, slammed, Mustang II'ed, Speedway Motors catalog on wheels type of build. We've all seen the hotrods, but what about a factory look? So, I picked up pen and paper (actually, plasma cutter and 5lb. sledge) and set to work. I started with this 1949 3100 I bought off ebay for a mere $7K. It ran and drove, next to no rust, had an upgraded 235 over the 'bolt 216, and patina that would make any self respecting 50's pin-up model quiver. Down side? It smoked worse than a set of Hoosiers stuffed under a prostreet Chevelle, and I think you could tell exactly what the inside of the lower colon of a cackle (or is a pod...maybe a flock?) of rats smells like right at the moment of decomposition where the food actually turns into a solid again after going through the liquid and gaseous stages of digestion. So, stage one was to drive around the neighborhood with Kelly on the running board and then off to the old shop for a few mods.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Default Re: 1949 Chevrolet 3100 - V8 Prototype

Out to the shop it goes, and the 235 comes out and a 350/700R4 combo goes in. Since I'm doing this, the rear axle has to be swapped out as well. Here's the conversion package: 350/700R4 combo, CPP V8 swap package (x-members, mounts), a 1955 Truck Axle, and CPPs axle swap for AD trucks (moves the axle back 1&quot; and includes new perches/bolts). Also, you'll have to make up a driveshaft but that's not that hard really. I found that gum and rubber bands really work well. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] The last picture shows the driver's side steering box won't clear the exhaust manifold once it's installed. I welded up a bracket and moved the steering box over 3&quot; to clear the manifold. More on this later...

Old 07-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

So, more on the steering. I found a set of early 70s SBC manifolds and the driver's side is curved right around the steering box perfectly! Just like I envisioned it and keeping with the factory appearance. This offset move the box out 3&quot; from center, and as a result the intermediate drag link is not going to line up. I had a new one fabricated up with the original balljoint ends and the look is pretty convincing. Geometry stays the same too. The column will connect with u-joints. BUt we're getting ahead of ourself! One post at a time... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, and that &quot;75&quot;? That's a large factory marking. I have a few other pics from others who have the same thing on their truck. Of course I'll replicate that, but in paint. That's actually bare metal (etched)!!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Of course I'm deleting all the small detail stuff, but I had some trimming of the inner fender to do as well as a bunch of other small stuff. I did decide to add one thing on the upgrade list and that was a dual bowl Corvette style master cylinder and disk brakes from CPP as well. I'm staying with manual, just because I enjoy not being able to stop a 3900lb rolling stamped steel icon of American made pride and watch the reactions of the bystanders as they view the impending disaster that is about to unfold before them. They look away, but morbid curiosity draws them back! So next was the ever popular torque-tubeious-removous. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Crap! Time to go fly. More tomorrow. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 07-30-2015, 05:28 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

Brilliant writing, and a cool project. Looking forward to more progress reports. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
John 10:30
Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Very cool truck Dave, and it looks solid too. Tell your better half the old geezer said hi.

Mike
Old 07-31-2015, 01:08 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanks Guys! It's been fun so far. Mike, Kelly says Hi!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] OK, so onto the rear axle removal. The donor axle internals were in pretty rough shape, and the 49's were in surprisingly good shape. So, I swapped out gears and such and was able to make a single rear out of two. I measured about eleven times before tack welding the perches in. Then, knowing me, and knowing I always need that one little extra check, I measured again and everything seemed to line up. Hey, what's the worse that can happen? Severe drivetrain vibration? Offset wheels in the well? A skewed axle resulting in an unsafe truck? Well, sure? But seriously, what's the worse that can happen?!!?!? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] After that was done, I mounted up the disk brake kit from CPP. I also added tube shocks all around and ditched the lever style actuators.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

And since I'm 1/1000th Italian, I figured a spaghetti nightmare was just what the doctor ordered for wiring. But actually, it's a 12 circuit universal kit and is all this little buggy needs. The column is a Speedway Motors tilt (meaning, a cheaper Ididit) and the wheel is a repro 1940 Ford. I wanted a tilt function but didn't want something too shiney and nice. This will get painted with the interior, and the wheel is a period correct, factory look. To make the column appear like it still has the three-on-the-tree look, I'll reuse the stock style shift lever. I know! So many worthless ideas. And now into the engine bay. All 6cyl Chevy motors in the trucks were Grey. I think the only ones Blue were the power glide models according to VCCA site. So, I figured a grey motor to mimic the 6cyl ones was the way to go! More detailing on that later. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Interior all wired up and ready to go! And I thought about the spare and came across a pattern to use for the fender mounted spare. My fenders are reallly solidw with no rust. So I'll fix that and take the plasma cutter to it!

Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Once I zapped out the pattern, I flipped the piece over and tack welded it in place. Voila! Instant recessed fender. I'm pretty sure this is how the factory did it. If I calculate correctly, they'd at least get one fender done every day and a half, so that's not bad considering everything that has to be considered.
I had the radiator shop recore the stock radfiator to a 3-row and add V8 necks, so when you look in the engine bay you see an old Harrison radiator up front. A quick turn of the key, she fired up, and now I knew it was time to disassemble and start the finish work. My co-worker helped me get the body off. He's a good dude. Kind of quiet. Doesn't say much, and I don't pay him anything.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]