Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 04-27-2017, 01:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 5,961 Times in 2,907 Posts

Calipers are exactly the same.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

It's an RS with the Z/28 RPO added. The P/O used all correct NOS Z/28 parts when he converted it back in the 80's. I probably have the GM receipts for the brake upgrades and will either look them up or will get you the caliper numbers with some pictures of the mods when I pull the front wheels to do the brakes in the next few days.

I'll measure the backspace as well for you but think it has 7's on the front and 8's on the rear. Again, I'll confirm in a couple days when I'm finished installing the new motor for it. Been thrashing on it for 5/6 days now and tomorrow the engine and transmission are finally going back in.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
It's an RS with the Z/28 RPO added. The P/O used all correct NOS Z/28 parts when he converted it back in the 80's. I probably have the GM receipts for the brake upgrades and will either look them up or will get you the caliper numbers with some pictures of the mods when I pull the front wheels to do the brakes in the next few days.

I'll measure the backspace as well for you but think it has 7's on the front and 8's on the rear. Again, I'll confirm in a couple days when I'm finished installing the new motor for it. Been thrashing on it for 5/6 days now and tomorrow the engine and transmission are finally going back in.
Very much appreciate your trouble - mine is in storage for another couple of months until the weather gets decent so no rush obviously - but again Thanks for your offer of further info..
Randy
Old 04-28-2017, 10:19 PM

Not Americans but International Dragmasters from the 1960"s. [With ET center caps...]

These fit disc brakes without issue....
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ferron For This Useful Post:
NorCam (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 01:26 AM

Those are cool looking wheels Jim.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzed View Post
Very much appreciate your trouble - mine is in storage for another couple of months until the weather gets decent so no rush obviously - but again Thanks for your offer of further info..
Randy
Haven't forgotten about you on this, but not finished buttoning up some new mods here yet. I sent the rad out to be re-cored yesterday and should have it back and running in a couple days. I'll get to doing the brakes when it's running again and will get you some numbers. I did however look at the rims on the 68 car and it appears they are 15" x 7's all around and look to have 3.75 backspacing. It's hard to get an accurate measurement with the wheels still on the car so don't take that verbatim until I get around to pulling them later this week.

Cheers

Last edited by NorCam; 05-03-2017 at 01:24 AM. Reason: verified wheel sizes
Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Haven't forgotten about you on this, but not finished buttoning up some new mods here yet. I sent the rad out to be re-cored yesterday and should have it back and running in a couple days. I'll get to doing the brakes when it's running again and will get you some numbers. I did however look at the rims on the 68 car and it appears they are 15" x 8's all around and look to have 4.25 backspacing. It's hard to get an accurate measurement with the wheels still on the car so don't take that verbatim until I get around to pulling them later this week.

Cheers
Again I very much appreciate your trouble - but don't worry about any timeline on the info. My car has endured the stock rally-look for almost 50 years now and over 25 since I became the owner - a week, a month, or even a season works well for me.
Do it only as you get the opportunity and remember - but don't go to any extra trouble.. it is very thoughtful of you!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 AM

Part I - Rear Brakes & American TT Wheels

OK, found some time to check things out today as I was installing new shocks and trac bars and started pulling wheels to go through the brakes. So here are the details on the rear brakes and wheels. Rears are stock original drums #3841177 and no spacers were added using 15" x 7" wheels with 3.750 BS

Stock rear drums. No spacers required.

These American TT wheels fit great and look totally at home on a 68.

Wheels are 15" x 7" with 3.75" Backspacing.

Good inside clearance to shocks whether on stock shock plates or aftermarket trac bar applications.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:15 AM

Part II - Front Brakes & Wheels

I only checked one front caliper on passenger side and this car has Delco Morraine 4 piston caliper #5455946 which was an over the counter part to replace the original? I believe these were used on 67 & 68 Chevelle, GTO, Firebirds and differ only in part number from the 67 & 68 Camaro #5455530 & 5455533. There were no spacers on the fronts either. The front caliper/s had one embossed surface buzzed down slightly for the wheels to clear the caliper without the need for a spacer. I suppose you could use aluminum spacers but I've never been a fan of using wheel spacers myself. Mike at Western Corvette mounted these wheels for the P/O many years ago and this was commonly done on these cars to gain clearance for aftermarket wheels on 4 piston calipers. Pretty simple trick to mounting these wheels up. Front wheels match the rear and are also 15" x 7" with 3.750 BS

You can see the raised embossed area was ground slightly to allow the spokes to clear the calipers.

Close up showing the smooth part which has been ground slightly.

Here I am pointing to the area that was buzzed down with a rolox disc to gain clearance

Same wheels used front and rear. 15" x 7" TT with 3.750 backspacing

Last edited by NorCam; 05-03-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:18 AM

For those who like the stance on my 68, here are the tire sizes used. Front are BFG 215/65/R15 and the rears are BFG 255/60/R15 (all on 15x7 wheels as stated above)

I like original wheels too, but these work just great on these cars and they are cheap in comparison of costs or labour required to restore the often pitted originals. Use originals, repops, and use a 1/4" spacer up front if you like. Fact is they look right at home on these cars. Cheers

Last edited by NorCam; 05-03-2017 at 01:27 AM.