Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Default Motion Nova ???????

Hello all, I am a newbie here but a car guy for the last 40 years....I have owned about everything you can imagine and have personally restored hundreds of car for myself and other people... enough about me, but I wanted to at least introduce myself before touching on this very controversial subject...

Recently my cell phone rang and it was a person that I have know for a while, he offered up for sale to me a car that was well know to a lot of you guys and has been all over the internet car blogs for over 10 years... I will tell you all out front it was more about helping a person in desperate need than buying the car.... I had no interest in the car and recently sold off my last muscle car and was taking a break from them...

After a lot of drama and poor weather the vehicle showed up at my shop, keep in mind like all of you I had never seen pictures of the 1968 Nova or any of the paperwork. Well I have it now and have had some time to go thru the research and paperwork and the car...I have talked to several people who are thought to be associated with the car over the years. in my opinion it is still a maybe car...here's why!!!!!

THE LETTER dated 2003 is definitely a maybe letter, the person who signed the letter(from my recent conversation) is an exceptionally nice person that loves to discuss his life and his hobbies and careers, he will not discuss this car or the person that was associated with the car for all those years. It seems that story is pretty intense and one that is best not discussed...As a matter of fact he is the person that recommended this site to me...

THE PEOPLE that were associated with this car in its prior years are older gentlemen and they have memories of the car but some of these memories are definitely clouded by the 45 years that has come and gone since this car was built...

THE RESEARCH that was done is detailed but not put together very well and some is very confusing at best...

THE CAR is a body with some of the accessories that were said to be associated with the cars that were converted and or built by Motion Performance in that time frame, there are key pieces of it missing, the engine and transmission are not present now...There is among some of the paperwork an original build sheet that does confirm the cars original as built by GM configuration...

The FUTURE of the car for now is a trip to the eBay site with a reasonable reserve on the car so I may accomplish my goals:

1. Get my original investment back on the car.

2. Put the car in someone's hands to complete the research & restore it, and once and for all put the subject to rest, it is a very time consuming process that I just don't have the time to complete since I have a business to run that takes a considerable amount of my time up...

My intent is not to open old wounds and or bring up people or sore subjects that may offend anyone....but after doing some quick internet searches I ran into the original string on this site and a lot of you in my opinion were left hanging with no closure, I don't know that I have offered up any closure, but more the next chapter of a story in a car drama that may never be solved for sure....

Mike

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 37848.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Motion Nova ???????

Sorry, I'm not following... You bought a car with a story, and plan to resell it, so posted this pic in the hopes of....?? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] Not sure I remember this particular car, maybe give us a little more info or a link to a prior thread?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM

The discussion of this car was on this site and many other sites and there was a lot of conversation about it... &quot;motion nova ????&quot; was the post here, the pervious owner had a lot of ties to this site and others that talked about the first 1968 nova done by motion performance, it was thought by many people to be this car. The maybe letter was to my knowledge the first and only one every done on a motion car....

I am not in any way advertising this car for sale or offering it up for sale, I am just passing along the updated version of the story that so many people took a strong interest in, if that makes any sense... I for one read all the post after obtaining the car and thought there were a lot of people that were left hanging and never heard anything more on the car... the car was found and the post were started as far back as 2000..

My only purpose here is to offer up the next chapter of this car up to anyone that may be interested in hearing about it.
Mike
Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM

I understand now, thanks for the pic!
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 PM

Is that dan's car?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luzl78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that dan's car? </div></div>

That was my first thought
Old 02-07-2014, 10:47 PM

It was the car that Dan P. owned, now I own it. Mike
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 PM

Dan's car that the motion either mechanic or painter, I cant remember which, supposedly remembered? I think many people wanted to see what that person gave to Dan but that never happened.

What type of info did you get about/from Dan on that subject?

I'd like to see more.

Rich
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 PM

There is a lot of history in that car!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 PM

Hi Rich,

I was given a lot of research material including the original letter that was written by Joel, I wont post it, since it is more unflattering to Dan, but it is definitely a maybe letter about the car...keep in mind when the letter was done in 2003 there wasn't much if any real research done on the car prior to requesting the car be certified...and the person requesting the information can be a little to passionate about things !!!

I was given a hand written letter from a Herby White of Whites Sunoco, undated and not well put together, who knows when it was done, I was told there is a picture from when he signed it at his nursing home but I don't have it...

I was given contact information on the Painter, I personally talked to the painter great guy with a strong memory of the car and he remembers all the details of doing the paint work, including color change, replacement of vinyl top and who dyed the interior and most importantly who owned the car and who it was done for....

I was given the contact information on the mechanics from motion, I didn't not talk to either of them....

I was given the contact information of the best friend of the original owner, who remembered the car and the owner, but seemed to be distant and later it was confirmed that the original owner may have had a sketchy past since, how does an 18 year old buy and new car and send it straight to a shop and spend several thousand dollars more on the car...

Keep in mind they are not young people and to say the least there memory from 45 years ago were taxed, but by the discussion we had, there was a car and this maybe it... only the true title history from NJ and a confirmation letter from Motion would make it &quot;a for sure car !!!!!!!&quot;

I didn't push any of these people I listened to there stories, I have no dog in the fight the car is what it is, a maybe car, I haven't spent 14 years of my life trying to prove it and wont... on a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the least important thing in my life this car ranks 115... Not trying to be mean but there wasn't a ton of money involved in the deal and I was more interested in helping a person in need out... and Dan is surely in a bad place right now...

I neither have the time or the desire to chase down the people and to restore this car at this point in my life...

As for the car, it has some really neat cool stuff what I would call &quot;day 2&quot; items on it, it does have the build sheet and is a well optioned SS car originally...That need a whole lot of love to bring it back to it s former glory, whatever that glory was!!!!

Mike