Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Events > Other Events

Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default Re: BJ 2006

No offense,but this has nothing to do with how good a guy Alan or his jokes are.
You as a Car dealer/owner/broker have to relate to this. With the amount of money being paid on these cars today as well as the all important production & quality details,either as the seller or possible bidder,I for one don't want to hear his studdering cander,long pauses or apologies while a vehicle he doesn't know anything about is currently on the block.
He should do at least a lil general research homework,or else politely dismiss himself from that certain vehicle on the block and admit he knows nothing about it.I think the majority of the viewers can see him acting like a deer in the headlights,and would appreciate him more if he acknowledged this.
I know I would.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:12 PM

I understand what you're saying Rick, but,I think we need to remember that the coverage on Speed is just entertainment. Hey, "it's T.V." If anybody is using Alan's coverage as a basis for bidding, they deserve what they get. I never got the impression that he was presenting his analysis as the ultimate evaluation of a particular muscle car. In fact, I recall him mentioning that muscle cars were not his area of expertise. Now, if you want to talk about Brock Yates....... LOL
Old 10-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

Let's start a seperate Brock Yates thread.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:28 PM

One thing that sticks in my mind about alan is his opinion. The remark about the 69 gr/gr copo camaro, "GE telephone company car". I agree with mike, no one is going to buy a car based on there comments. Roger
Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 PM

I don't see what the big deal is about, speed channel would be hard pressed to find someone that was an expert on all the cars that come across the block and i think they did a pretty good job. Alain at least tried and did admit on many occasions that he did'nt know much about some of the cars going through and did the best he could. Granted that the muscle car coverage is not up to par they could stand to have someone added to the show with more muscle car knowledge.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:18 PM

Just show less of Reggie J., that's all I ask...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Steve Magante was a absolute Ace on the Musclecar coverage...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 PM

Rick,
That is my point - we may or may not appreciate his knowledge (or lack thereof with muscle cars) or sense of humor (GE company car jokes for example), BUT, in this day and age where people attack one another for various reasons based on perception alone I did not think the remark was warranted. That, IMHO, was a personal attack and it seemed as if everybody was more than willing to jump on the bandwagon.

All I am saying that I know the guy, and he is a good guy and means well. They did not hire him for his knowledge, they hired him because he is a racing legend, well spoken, funny, and is a good "color" guy. BJ is a spectacle, and Speed wants their broadcast to carry that into people's homes. Even you have to admidt that DeCadenet is sometimes entertaining and see how he could get non-car people to watch = ratings!

What I find appaling is the real "color" guy for most auctions, the guy who reads off details of the car and history, ie, color guy intros the car, auctioneer takes over, bidding slows, color guy stirs up the crowd again "One Of FIFTY ladies and gentlemen!" , then back to the auctioneer. IMHO, there is only one guy who ever did that job justice, Ed Lucas. He is a car guy, was at BJ for years and was dismissed maybe 2 years ago. I think it does the cars a huge disservice to have a color guy fumble around and give bad info and screw up descriptions to the BIDDERS who are physically at the auction to buy a particular car.

Another point I tried to make was nobody knows everything about all cars. Your area of expertise would not include pre-war cars or European sports cars, I would guess. The announcers for Speed, Keith Martin, DeCadenet, Yates, Varsha, etc., are there to try to cover a wide spectrum of cars. They are close most of the time. Except Yates, who should be put out of his misery. LOL.

Hey, enjoy BJ for what it is - reality TV at its best. If DeCadenet ticks you off, hit Mute. You know more about muscle cars than he does, it is not as if you are watching for educational purposes! Or, take it with a grain of salt and realize the bidders can not hear the broadcast.

I think you know what I was getting at... we all need to be a little less harsh on people we don't agree with or don't even know. Like Charley. I thought he was a jackass before I met him, but never said it. Now that I know him, I feel justified in saying "Charley is a jackass". The thing hit me the wrong way, sorry.

Colin
Old 10-24-2005, 09:00 PM

I'm with Colin. Decadenet is a great and funny true car guy. I had a long and very off color conversation with him ( his divorce ramblings) and was impressed with him as a person and his car/racing knowledge. He is there as an expert, but not on American muscle. They leave that to Brock Yates to completely butcher.
Alain is learning and truly appreciates what we do.
Steve was definately better........ they need someone who knows not only the cars, but the market, the hobby and it's people.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:10 AM

Amanda DeCadenet, does'nt she go out with Keanu Reeves?