Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,597 Posts
Default Re: ZL 1 #36

------The first $50,000 resto on a subframe. I cant imagine how many hours of restoration went into just that front subframe assembly.......Bill S
Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 AM

any refunds for the steering arm bolt?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 AM

What is judged as far as correctness at this level at VF..? I find it interesting that the judging is in question on this particular car.....I don't know what it scored or won....Just what I personally saw spending two days at VF..

Steve
Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 AM

Thanked 2,130 Times in 666 Posts

Really not a restoration-think it looked like that when new?

Totally overdone.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 AM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Bob...I'm guessing you are getting heat because apparently the ZL1 in this thread got a silver ? I know there has been crap between two web sites and the folks that restored this car are usually associated with the other web site and there always seems to be two sides picking each others cars apart. You can throw out my comments on this car if you wish but here are a couple and I'm trying to be unbiased, especially since the car is not from the so called Yenko.net camp. I saw the car in person and saw the resto book on display. In addition to the steering arm bolts being in backwards there were several other obvious errors on the car that even a non judge like me saw. I think the cowl induction air cleaner seal was inside out at Vettefest but in the pic on this thread it is now correct. The yellow paint marks on all the bolts I have never seen on a first gen Camaro and I have probably owned more than most. All 69 Camaros with Hurst shifted 4 speeds had the trans tunnel hole cut with a torch and the were a rough rectangle but this car had a little perfectly round non torch cut hole. If I had my car restored to the top level I would be pissed if that was the hole they did instead of the correct torch cut one. It might seem trivial to you but to a 69 Camaro guy that is a big mistake from a expert shop. If I recall it had Polyglas tires on it and I have never seen a 69 Camaro with Polyglas tires from the factory. The PCV hose in the pic appears to be straight with a sag instead of having a 90 degree bend like it should. The bolts in the pics posted holding the diff to the leaf springs appear to be two different length's. One doesn't appear to even come all the way thru the nut. This is not big stuff but it is wrong stuff. If I'm not judging this car and I saw this stuff I would imagine a judge would find more. Maybe none of this matters at Vettefest judging and I am way off but that was my worthless two cents.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:46 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Really not a restoration-think it looked like that when new?

Totally overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what one looked like "new"...after all it only has a few miles on it!

I think the cars look good side by side though

Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ZL1 #36 going up for auction at Mecum Jan 25-27, 2007. Looking to find out info. about this car. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW...I don't feel anyone is picking apart this car or taking sides...Just answering the question posted above.How do you do it without sounding harsh? This is a car aparently going to auction and no doubt looking to demand a fairly high price tag..That said...Who would like to spend $ on something that may be incorrect? Already issues have been pointed out about #36 from what was viewed at VF...maybe they have been corrected maybe not.We all live and learn....Should we be careful about what questions we ask? .....Or just the answers we respond with?

Steve
Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 AM

Some people take offense to people pointing out things that they think are wrong with a restoration but
this is how we all learn how it should be. This car may have a few small details that need attention but I
must admit; They put a lot of time and effort into this car; Suck it up and get the facts straight on how it
should be; Fix the few problems and you have yourself a really Nice Car that anyone would be happy to park
in their garage.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 AM

Here is my .02 cents,
How about getting a shot at the body plugs being placed in upside down, the rear trunk drop offs not having the holes in them and those swaybar brackets don't look right to me....and aleast you could place AD stickers on the backing plates correctly. I can only imagine what else could be wrong. If I know the restorer right, I bet the tire hold down stud could hold down 2 rims and tires. Just my thoughts.....
The "MOF"
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 AM

No Brian, he got the tire hold down hook right on this one, but there was plenty of other things wrong.... Some restorers insist on doing things "their way" instead of the way that GM built the car. Alot of people like their cars done this way. It's totally up to them, but don't bring them to an event like this, where the cars are supposed to be done as they were at the factory, and expect to do well. It is my understanding, that the cars are judged for factory correctness, not what someone imagines them to look like. Maybe the owner of this car should have done his homework before placing this car in a shop for restoration, if he was after a factory correct restoration.