Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Baldwin/Motion Phase III GT Corvettes

I am pretty sure that he did most of the bigger jobs. Gary did most of the extra special custom paint work. I have heard that he was not yet doing anything for Joel back in the eary days.
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 01-06-2005, 09:23 AM

I had contacted Gary about the PhaseIII GT Vettes--He said he did alot of them ,but not all of them----Custom Enterprises/Corvette Enterprises did the early ones---Thanks Gary--
Old 01-24-2005, 08:34 AM

My car was last documented as a Phase III on April 6,1970 with Motion in house service records. It was purchased from Motion on June 16,1970 as a Phase III GT.
I have pictures of the car, after the wreck, still as a Phase III with gold stripe and Torque Thrust wheels. The damage was limited mostly to the fiberglass tail light panel. The original 427 blew about a month after the wreck damage was repaired. Approx. May of 1970. This gives a window of 1-6 weeks to be converted to a GT. Maybe two months.
As far as Joel Rosen is concerned, my car is a real original documented Phase III GT, and his is the only opinion that matters to me. My thought is that it was owned, built and sold by Motion as a Phase III GT.
The car mentioned that burnt was actually parked next to another car that caught fire and the fire spread to the GT. This happened before the car was delivered to the customer so a duplicate car was built to fulfill the order. This is the same highly optioned yellow and black car Joel bought from Warner Brothers and restored a few years back.
My tail lights have six individual pieces of red plastic bonded to the rear panel and has the stock Corvette tail light housings crudely mounted to the frame about 4-5 inchs behind the plastic.
I wasn't old enough to drive when these cars were built and never lived in the northeast so everything I know about these cars is through research. I'm still not sure about the figure of 10 cars, and would not automaticly discount a car just because it turns up as number 11. I wasn't fortunate enough to be at the reunion when Joel was there so if he said definately 10.. then ten it is.
Hope this helps!
Darryl
Old 01-24-2005, 06:07 PM

What Joel says one time may not jive with another time or reality... I talked with him on the phone once and wrote down things as he said them... he told me things that I've since found to not be true... for example he said that Ray's Manta Ray was the only one he built, when we know that he built 3 of them. He also said that he built 3 Maco's, when there is evidence of 6.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:45 AM

Darrel,

Great to hear from you. I have always wondered about your car. There are just a few pic of the car that I have seen and I have to say I love the colors.

I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions about your car.

Was it always blue? So you are saying it came from Joel blue with a Gold stripe?

Your discription of the taillights sounds a great deal like my '70 that came from Joel. If they would have been a little brighter perhaps then you may not have gotten hit from behind. I know mine are not too easy to see when they are lit up.

I love the 200-S wheels you put on it. I have a set just like them that I used to run on my car way back when.

Please email me sometime so I can have a way to get in touch with you. I would love to chat on the phone sometime about the cars if you don't mind.

Pantera
Attached Images

73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 01-25-2005, 08:34 PM

Pantera,

The 200S rims were on the car when I purchased it in 1988. I'm pretty sure they were put on it in 1970 by Motion when it was converted to a GT.

The original color is Lemans Blue and the Gold stripe was added to that when it was a Phase III. From the pictures it looks like it had Inglewood tires with the T.T. rims.

When I bought the car in 1988 it had just been repainted about a year or two before, but it was repainted faithfully to the way it was. So when it was converted to a GT it was changed from Blue/Gold to Blue/white. The shade of Blue is the only thing I'm not sure of.

By the way I need a set of mint original 200s center caps if anybody has some.

Pantera check your P.M.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 PM

Blue and gold sound kinda neat together to me. I have to say that I sure do like the blue and white better.

Of course your color of Blue is one of my fav colors.

I remember when the 200S wheels first came out in 69 so that would be about right if they came on your car. I remember ordering them for a '68 Blue 400 hp cpe that I had at that time. I never heard of Motion until the Aug of 69 article came out on the newstand. I must have read it at least 3 time s right there in the store. I remember that they made me buy the magazine instead of letting me read it all afternoon. Man am I glad that I did. I would never have thought I would someday own the car on the cover though.

I think there is a chance that another one may pop up one of these days. I only hope that I get to live long enough to see all of them restored and together at a show someday.

Thanks for the PM. Talk to you tomorrow.

Pantera
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 01-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

[ QUOTE ]
The original color is Lemans Blue and the Gold stripe was added to that when it was a Phase III. From the pictures it looks like it had Inglewood tires with the T.T. rims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Darryl. Glad you're here. The only thing we knew about your car was from the story on the monthly feature page. Does your car have the stock rear window or the GT slanted window? Thats been the biggest question since there isn't any real definitive pics of the rear top view of your car anywhere I can find online.. Can you post the old pics of it you have? I'd love to see how it used to look
Old 01-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Ed

It has the slanted GT window. In fact it has the complete GT body package, including the GT gas filler which you might not be able to see in the pics. The old pics of it were graciously sent to me by the original owner. All four as it was in 1969 as a Phase III. Two before the wreck and two of the wreck. Let me just clarify here, the wreck was when the car was sitting at a red light and someone didn't stop and hit it in the rear. Maybe 30-40 mph. The car was still drivable and it was mostly cosmetic damage. I'll have to get help posting them. If I can get it done I will.

Darryl
Old 01-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Darryl: if ya need to, email them to us and I'll post 'em for ya...