Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Pinewood Derby Anyone?

I have very fond memories of running some fast Pinewood Derby Cars in Cub Scouts. Through the years, my dad was a "Go-To-Guy" for of his friends when it cam time to build cars for their kids. It is that time of year again, and were are helping some of my friends out this evening. Who else is working on something?

Here is a pic of me back in the day. I think this was at the Willow Grove Mall. It was actually just a track set-up and Cub Scouts from different areas would gtg and have informal races. Kinda like a street race for Cub Scouts. I think I enjoyed it more than the competition within the pack cause I got to race so much more. I probably sent my car down that track 200 times that day!

I clearly remember being frustrated because I was able to beat most cars that day, but there was one in particular that I could't catch and it belonged to an adult. At the end of the day when I was leaving, the fellow said to me he was glad there were no scales around here, with a smile. I wonder to this day if he was just trying to make a kid feel good about being beat or if he really was heavy. Either way, the memory brings a smile to my face every time.

Anyone else want to share stories, old pics or even some newer ones?
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Pinewood Derby Anyone?

Apparently, my little guy Danny needs to build his first Pine Car - all new to me! So, if you have any tips/tricks, I'm all ears. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:20 AM

Well, this is a pic of a pic from earlier tonight. We've got an Outlaw Track in one section of the basement. Got plenty of tips. Why don't you come down for a SuperTune?!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 AM

Default Drinking and Driving Nights

Old 01-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Drinking and Driving Nights

My cars are ready to go, built in &quot;Day Two&quot; trim circa 78 complete with competition ribbon. Who'd a thunk it, only on the sYc !!!

BIG [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Thanked 1,711 Times in 732 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So, if you have any tips/tricks, I'm all ears. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] </div></div>

Took 4 years of trying to finally get 1st place but my son did back in 2011, his final year. It's all about the kids learning and having fun (not Dad building the car for them) but the secret to going fast is in the wheels/axles and getting the weight right at 5 ounces (the weight limit).

Jake

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM

Agree. Wheel and axle prep is key. There is also an advantage to have the wheels up the ramp as high as possible and placing the weight as far back without loosing stability- most potential energy. I get a kick out of seeing a well preped car accelerate in the flat section of the track.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LIBoomer

We're putting the finishing touches on two cars for this years race. My oldest boy has moved onto Boy Scouts. The attached photo is of my three boys after each of them had won 1st Place this past year. The red car set both ends of the track record. Good luck to all the scouts (old and new)out there.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Wowww.. what memories... I was lucky that my Mom was den leader and my Dad was pack leader, so I had access to training sessions using the track !!! The pinewood derby cars were supposed to be a cub scout father/son project..in my case my Dad was a machinist, so he took the axles..(basically were similar to roofing nails) and the plastic wheels and he machined then perfectly round on a lathe. The other important factor is to place the axles square in the car. So my Pop scrapped the two small blocks of pine wood that the axles slide into and he machined new blocks out of a harder/denser wood so the axles would be and stay very square in the car. He aslo machined holes underneath and add weight in different areas for testing to see what worked best.

He also used a bridgeport and made the car look like a small indy car..with a wing and all. My part of the project was to help sand the car and help paint it Ferrari red !! We went to the pack meeting that year and I won first place by a mile. Then we were invited to another pack's meeting to challenge thier winner and I beat him also. That little car only lost one time ever and that is when my Dad made a new car the following year for my younger brother !!!

I believe the cars may still be around at my Pop's house. I remember them forvever being in his top dresser drawer. Ill have to ask and post a few pics if I can find them... Thanks for the memories !!!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM

Looking at the rules now, it seems maybe we cheated by changing the wood on the axles.. but maybe the rules were not the same back then??? ooppssss.. !!