Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default Undervalued cars

Guys are always asking me what the "next" collector car is going to be. Of course, no one knows for sure, other than the ones that come out as "collectors edition" or are promoted as such when new probably will not make it. Remember the 76 Eldo convertables selling for double sticker because it was the last american convertable? Can't give away one of those boats now.

So, got to thinking and here is my list in no particular order. Some old, some newer and some in between. Just think that they are underappreciated and therefore undervalued.

69 Corvette, esp 350 horse 350, which you could even get with factory a/c.

91-94 ZR1, especially a Lingenfelter.

06 GTO with the LS2. Never accepted by the traditional Goat crowd, but an amazing car that can be bought today with a 6 speed for around 16k. Conservative styling that doesn't seem to push anyone's buttons, but I think will stand the test of time.

02-03 BMW M Roadster with the S54 engine (especially with just a few bolt on mods (i.e. chip, air box and lower gears) which of course could be put back to bone stock at any time). My wife drives an earlier version with the S52, and I am having a hard time figuring out how you get an ADDITIONAL 80 horsed to hook up. I keep hanging the rear out on hers (don't tell) with hardly any effort, but it stays under control anyway. Amazingly well balanced.

Cadillac CTS-V. Maybe a long shot but a lot of fun anyway.

So... give me a list of your 5.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Undervalued cars

A 1970 Dart Swinger which was a Mopar National champ and 4 speed and Plum Crazy color. Sold for $29,500.
I seen this car in person and said to myself that these Swingers are an undervalued muscle car by far.
Another good example of a great car you can buy for low prices.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM

I mostly agree with Lynn, especially on the 2006 GTO.

BMW Z3? I don't think so... fat, ugly and lame (except the M Roadster with the S54 engine).

We also shouldn't forget about the 2002 Camaro SS, or the 1970 to 1976 Plymouth Duster.

Also most Mercedes-Benz AMG's are undervalued imo, especially the W201, W/S202 and W/S/C124.

www.estrada-armory.com
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM

BMW Z3? I don't think so... fat, ugly and lame (except the M Roadster with the S54 engine).

I agree. <span style="font-weight: bold">Not</span> the Z3. That is why I spedifed only the M roadster, and only the one with the s54 engine. Although the fun factor is definitely there with the s52 engine, it is huge with the s54/
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. <span style="font-weight: bold">Not</span> the Z3. That is why I spedifed only the M roadster, and only the one with the s54 engine. Although the fun factor is definitely there with the s52 engine, it is huge with the s54/ </div></div>

Yes, the M3 engine is not bad. But I think - regarding BMW - we sould put more focus on Z1 Roadster, 8 series as well as M1. They are really rare and their values will only go up...

Just like the value of original Hemi Cudas... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]

www.estrada-armory.com
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 AM

2002 to 2004 ZO6 Vette's are a great buy these days 25k buys a low mile car, they are animals!.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: budnate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2002 to 2004 ZO6 Vette's are a great buy these days 25k buys a low mile car, they are animals!.</div></div>

I love my 03. It even makes a great touring car.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM

Hope you are right on the 8 series. My son has an 850. But... have you ever tried maintaining one the V12? Valve cover gaskets is about an 8 to 10 hour job.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 AM

A lot of what got the musclecar craze going in the '80s and '90s was the fact that these cars were only built basically from 1964 to 1970. High insurance and emissions standards effectively killed performance until the mid '80s when it slowly started to come back. There wasn't anything from the factory with performance during that time so the old Musclecars were it and the demand took off. Today, as in the '60s performance increases every year. Nostalgia won't set in until the factories end the hp race or some unforeseen event does it for them. Who's interested in yesterday's car when tomorrows car is even better. If the old cycle repeats itself, it will be the top dogs demanding the top prices just like the first time around.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope you are right on the 8 series. My son has an 850. But... have you ever tried maintaining one the V12? Valve cover gaskets is about an 8 to 10 hour job. </div></div>

Yes, BMW's are a pain. But keep it as original as possible and let only BMW do the services/repairs.
I'm sure the 8 series will become v e r y valuable. To me, it was with one of the best looking/performing BMW.

www.estrada-armory.com