Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 06-15-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Mark's Long Haulin 65 Belair

THIRD TIME IS THE CHARM.

In recent years, Mark “BIGKARZ” Webster (Gorilla) has been searching for his perfect car, employing the trial and error method. The first candidate was extremely fast but lacking in show quality appearance. Classic number two was his well known 1965 L-78 Biscayne. Arvid Svendson penned a three page article on this beauty in the Fall 2003 issue of “Muscle Car Review”. From day one of ownership, this appeared to be Mark’s perfect dream car. Factory documentation, numbers matching, almost every component properly date coded, a true Chevy/Vette Fest contender. As time progressed, however, disappointment set in. Two very significant problems were painfully evident: First, Mark was hesitant to drive the car in his usual aggressive manner, fearing the destruction of a valuable original component, or damage to the original body and paintwork. Second, this relegated him to attendance at car shows. If you know Mark, he is not a car show guy! The rarity of the big block, full size cars is not appreciated at many of these events. Spectators had a habit of passing his Biscayne to gaze at the rows of Chevelles and Camaros. Often Mark would sit impatiently, waiting for the show to end so he could drive the car home. He finally realized exactly the type of classic car he would be happy with. He wanted a correct appearing, show quality, ground pounder. A correct recreation of a rare vehicle. A Chevy he could drive as hard and as often as he desired, one that he could obtain replacement parts for. A show worthy cruiser.

Good news! Mark has finally purchased the car that he has been searching for. 1965 Bel Air L-78 Tribute Vehicle. Mark is driving the wheels off of this Street Machine. Already a veteran of one Hot Rod Power Tour, at the time of this article the Bel Air was receiving the necessary “tweaks” for Tour number two. He no longer worries. Any road damage can be handled by his friend, Brent Jarvis of Performance Restorations in Mundelein, IL. As a former Crew Chief and Tuner, Mark himself performs all the mechanical work. Correct parts are readily available, and he is frequently seen in his garage tinkering.

This string-straight, all steel body features a mirror finish Madeira Maroon color application. Correct, nearly flawless Fawn interior. Rumbling under the hood is a correctly date coded 396- 425 HP L-78 engine. Here is where the fun begins! Upgrades to the engine read like a “Who’s Who” in the performance industry. GM aluminum heads, Arias pistons, C&A rods, Comp Cams valve train, Weiand aluminum intake, Hooker Headers, Holley carb, ARP studs and fasteners, the list is almost endless. Two key modifications to guarantee street-worthiness are a Richmond Five Speed transmission and Richmond 3.08 gears.

Keep your eyes and ears open for this gorgeous 1965 Bel Air. You may see it anywhere, in Illinois or across the nation! You will recognize Mark immediately- he’ll be strapped in the driver’s seat with a big grin on his face. When searching for the ultimate vehicle, it may take a few tries to get it right. As you can see, for Mark Webster, the third time is the charm.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Mark's Long Haulin 65 Belair

AWESOME!!!! Love those pictures from the strip...
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 AM

I liked posting this one...not only is it a big car but he is a buddy of mine and many others. He's the go to guy when you get stumped by something you're working on. He's also about 9 ft tall and about 700 pounds and eats hubcaps for breakfast ! A better guy you couldn't find. He's been into big blocks for as long as I've known him. Met him thru my cousin...walked outside his garage one day and there was something blocking the sun...it was Mark...or as I know him by..."Gorilla". He is probably winding down from his second year of long hauling it on the Hot Rod Power Tour...he loves this car and drives it everywhere with his wife Barb...about a hundred years ago he had a 396-350 horse 69 or 70 Nova and I had my 61 Impala with a 409 in it...we pulled out on Lake Cook Rd and had at it....I looked over and we were side by side and there was this giant dude banging away at the 4 speed in that little Nova and here I am pounding away in my giant Impala....I was laughing so hard I was crying...what a blast...but I kept a fender on his ass !!!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Very cool car &amp; story.
I think I met him at Vettefest?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:08 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

That car is "friggin' cool" as those "chicago-ites" say!
Looks like he's driving it like the parts are free!

I love those 427 Turbo Jet flags on big cars...

Thanks for posting the pics, Bob!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:10 AM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

If I had known he was a buddy of yours I would have given him more crap on Power Tour. They had a couple very nice cars. I heard something about adding AC though....
Old 06-15-2005, 07:17 AM

That thing is wild! What a true SLEEPER!
Is it as loud as I can imagine?
AWESOME first picture!
Glad a good car goes with a good guy!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:39 AM

Now that I think about it...I went to look at this car quite a few years ago and first met the owner..Sixtiesmuscle !! Seems like a long time ago...small world...
Old 06-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Left valve cover sez "SIZE DOES MATTER." Yes!

Gotta' love the poverty-capped big-motor cars! x 100
Old 06-15-2005, 05:25 PM

Cool.