Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Some want even MORE ethanol.

I know the site is apolitical. But, as classic car enthusiasts, I think we can all agree these cars won't run worth a crap on E30 or worse.

Write your congressperson.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...ign=2019-08-15

Last edited by Lynn; 08-15-2019 at 11:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
HawkX66 (08-16-2019)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-15-2019, 11:18 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

My car won't run on 10%.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,593 Posts

----Here in waterland (Saint Clair river MI.) I am blessed to have many sources for marine fuel (91 octane). Use it in all my old rides with a spike of 110 and good to go. A little pricey but I don't put enough miles on the cars to really matter......Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
L78M22Rag (08-21-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:33 PM

The heartland responsible for growing our fuels has a lot of ugly attached. Cancer rates extremely high, dead water, but a lot of folks turning a blind eye in favor of the amount of wealth....Americana baby!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Thanked 1,711 Times in 732 Posts

The gas/convenience store chain Casey's has been opening a ton of new stores around here lately and all the new ones carry 91 octane alcohol free fuel...…..it's only $0.05/gallon more than the E10 91 octane. Great news for the boats/lawn equipment/old cars.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 08-16-2019, 08:24 PM

That's the only thing I run in my car. Casey's has been here for just a few years.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----Here in waterland (Saint Clair river MI.) I am blessed to have many sources for marine fuel (91 octane). Use it in all my old rides with a spike of 110 and good to go. A little pricey but I don't put enough miles on the cars to really matter......Bill S
I second that. Here in Massachusetts there’s a gas station Haffners in Haverhill. They have a Cam2 pump with 110 leaded at 9.04 cash per gallon 9.14 credit. I run it 100% . I use about 50 gallons a season.
1970 Z28 Citrus green CW 3:73 1970 Ls6 Cy 3:31 14K miles 1968 Biscayne L72 M22 952 actual miles. 1966 Biscayne L72 3:73 1966 Chevelle L78 M22 4:56
Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 AM

The local Sunoco has 110 leaded on the pump at 9.89/gal - I have been running it at about 70% mix with ZERO ethanol pump and figured if I had to I could just buy a 55 gal drum/season as well.

Is the current ZERO ethanol gasoline the same as pre 1993 gasoline?
If I am not mistaken 1993 is when the BTU's of gasoline was lowered from 126,000 - to 120,000 - due to the first mixing of ethanol.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 08-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L72Biscayne View Post
I second that. Here in Massachusetts there’s a gas station Haffners in Haverhill. They have a Cam2 pump with 110 leaded at 9.04 cash per gallon 9.14 credit. I run it 100% . I use about 50 gallons a season.
That's because it's one of the direct routes to New England Dragway. "Haffners. It kicks!" Lol... There are several in the area that have it for that reason.
Ethanol is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the American people. Even honest farmers that make a killing from it will tell you. You can thank guys like this for ethanol in fuel. He told everyone at the epa that he was also working for the CIA. Real winner... Ethanol being added to fuel should stop immediately IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Beale

EPA work[edit]

In 1987, Beale began working as a part-time consultant for the EPA, becoming full-time in 1988.[4] In 1989, Mr. Beale was hired as a full-time EPA employee in the position of Senior Policy Advisor, at a pay grade of GS-15.[6] He was brought on with the EPA primarily through his relationship with Robert Brenner, who was then deputy director of the Office of Air and Radiation at the EPA. Brenner and Beale were classmates together at Princeton.[3] Previously, Beale had no experience dealing with environmental issues,[4] but was seen as a good negotiator and had some experience dealing with Congress from his internship during college.[3] He also expressed that he "always had an interest in environmental issues."[4]

Beale worked on amendments to the Clean Air Act,[7] and was widely lauded for his efforts. In 1989, Beale was a member of a 24-person team[8] that was awarded the EPA Gold Medal for Exceptional Service, its highest honor, "In recognition of outstanding contributions to the development of the 1989 Clean Air Act Amendments."[3][8] Twenty-year veteran of the EPA Aron Anthony Golberg noted that Beale was "one of the most capable people whom [he] knew during [his] career".[3] In 1991 and again in 2000,[6] Beale was given a retention bonus, consisting of 25% of his annual salary.[2][3] (Although the retention bonus is an award to be paid out for no more than three years, in Beale's case the awards were paid for a total of 12 years.[6]) In 2005, Mr. Beale also received a Meritorious Executive Rank Award, a category of the Presidential Rank Award, which carried a $28,201 payment.[6]

Prior to his arrest, he was assigned to the Office of Air and Radiation, the division responsible for the development of national programs, policies and regulations designed to control air pollution and radiation exposure.[2]

Fraud[edit]

The headquarters for the CIA in Langley, Virginia, where Beale reported to spend time.
Given Beale's degree of travel in his work for the EPA, there were rumors that he was a "secret agent".[9] Beginning in 2000, Beale began skipping work on occasional Wednesdays with "D.O. Oversight" noted on his calendar on nine days throughout 2000, and continuing many times until his retirement in 2011.[3] In his 2013 deposition, Beale recalled the first time speaking with someone about these skipped days. Beale said that he told Jeffrey Holmstead, then assistant administrator at the Office of Air and Radiation, that he was working for the CIA, and that these days were spent working for the CIA’s Directorate of Operations (now the National Clandestine Service). Beale would later admit that during these days he was at home reading or exercising.[3][4][10] In 2002, Beale was given a subsidized parking space because he had led his coworkers to believe that he had contracted malaria during the Vietnam War. Beale held the space until June 2005, costing a total of $8,000. He in fact never had malaria, and did not serve in Vietnam.[10] Beale was familiar with the symptoms of the disease from his time as a medic in the army, treating soldiers in the United States.[2][3] From 2005 to 2007, Beale claimed to be working on an EPA research project and drew $57,235 in travel expenses to Los Angeles, where he was in fact visiting family in nearby Bakersfield. The travel expenses covered first-class flights and stays in high-end hotels.[2][11] For a period of six months in 2008, Beale did not report to work for the EPA under the guise of his CIA work, but continued to draw his salary from the EPA.[2]

In 2011 Beale told his colleagues that he was retiring from the EPA, throwing a boat party on the Potomac River in September that was attended by his boss, Gina McCarthy, who later became the administrator of the EPA. Despite the purported retirement, Beale continued to draw his salary, and the temporary bonus that was supposed to cease in 2003 continued to be paid through 2013.[2][12] By the time of his retirement, Beale was the highest paid employee in the EPA, making more than administrator McCarthy.[10][12]

Discovery and conviction[edit]

In November 2012, an EPA HR employee discovered that Beale was still drawing his salary and temporary bonus following his retirement, and brought the issue to the attention of Gina McCarthy. McCarthy exchanged several emails with Beale about the issue, to which he responded that he was still engaged in work with the CIA. In late December 2012, a Homeland Security employee that worked as the liaison for the EPA to the intelligence community made contact with Beale, saying that they had no record of Beale ever having worked for the CIA.[3][4] On January 7, 2013, McCarthy met with Beale at her office, detailing that the EPA would require documentation of Beale's work with the CIA. Beale reported that he would work on it, but a month later reported that the CIA would not acknowledge his work with them. McCarthy responded "that puts you in a really bad position, doesn’t it?"[3]

Mark Kaminsky, an investigator for the Office of the Inspector General, began to look into the case in February 2013. Beale initially refused to answer questions, and his colleagues at the EPA only had glowing reviews of his work there. Kaminsky noted that Beale was atypical in that "he lied across all aspects of his life," even finding emails with his wife that kept up the lie.[3] Kaminsky ultimately proved that Beale was lying by showing that at times he reported to be overseas engaged in CIA operations, he was in fact making domestic cell phone calls. He was also able to confirm with the CIA that Beale never did any work there. In a subsequent meeting, Beale admitted to his crimes. Kaminsky and Beale counted up a total of nearly two and a half years of work that he had missed under the ruse of working for the CIA.[3] He entered a guilty plea on September 27, 2013 to felony theft of government property, and submitted a check to the court for $886,186. The amount included $437,901 in fraudulent retention bonuses and $58,127 for the "D.O. Oversight" days, among other fraudulent earnings.[3] Beale also agreed to a punitive criminal forfeiture of $507,207 for a total payment of $1,393,393.[13] On December 18, 2013, Beale was sentenced to 32 months in prison,[14] two years of supervised release, and 100 hours of community service for each of those two years.[11][15]

Many of Beale's former colleagues at the EPA were incredulous regarding the revelations of his falsehoods. Some colleagues even asserted that he was "taking one for the team" so as not to reveal the nature of his supposed CIA work.[3] During his December 2013 deposition, Beale said that his relationship with his wife had been "profoundly affected" following the revelations.[4]

Beale was incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Institution, Cumberland and was released on June 1, 2016.[16][17]

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66

Last edited by HawkX66; 08-21-2019 at 12:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HawkX66 For This Useful Post:
L_e_e (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM

My problem is when I drive my car a good distance from home and have to buy gas. I usually can't be sure of what I'm getting. The last time I drove it 4 hours to Somerset I got gas that had alcohol in it and less than 2 miles later I was sitting on the side of the road because the engine shut off.