Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Dick Harrell

Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Re: RogerD's 1969 Dick Harrell Chevelle

Valerie received the notarized "Certified true copies" on the documentation on my 1969 DHPC Chevelle this morning (Aug 20, 2009).
I am hopeful to learn more about the 'confirmation' on my car from the DHPC Organization soon!

Last edited by RogerD; 03-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has very good points here and nothing was set in stone,but among other things,this would be the first Monaco/Hugger Orange colored 427 COPO Chevelle,(not to mention a Kansas-Leeds assembly),that most know of that has 72 72 on it's cowl tag.
Others 427 COPO's,(Baltimore assembly),have - - as were considered/assembled as a Malibu.
All Monaco/Hugger Orange 69 Chevelle Super Sports I've seen have 72 72,as dictated by Chevrolet.

Can anyone lead this topic to a <u>documented</u> 1969 Monaco/Hugger Orange Chevelle Super Sport with - - on its cowl tag,or a 427 COPO w/72 72 on it's cowl tag?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a Monaco Orange COPO in the database that is "blank" in the paint code area...no 72, no -, nothing...simply blank. So, I don't think it's quite exact for (at this time) for us to let the paint code dictate the build...rule of thumb, maybe, but it's not an exact science...

Also, I have 2 Kansas cars listed that are exactly *opposite* of the rule, with an SS showing "- -" and a COPO showing "72 72"...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:47 AM

Cool... So that basically means the paint code on the trim tag doesn't really rule out nor confirm anything. Was that 72-72 COPO at an SCR by chance? I'm almost sure I recall seeing one somewhere. Without a buildsheet or original drivetrain, what other clues on a 69 COPO Chevelle can this guy look for? Surely theres still something that can prove this car is what I believe it is.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM

I´m not that sure on Chevelle-facts but wouldn´t certain emblemholes or lack of these in the original fenders, combined with the original SS-hood tell us something ? Or did all 1969 Chevelles have identical fenders (with certain holes) regardless of what engine it was equipped with at the factory ?
Also, the original tailpanel on an SS-car has the SS-trim attached in elongated holes, so a COPO with SS trim would have drilled round holes in the tailpanel. Even if the elongated holes have been welded, I think it would be possible to make something out of it.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

"Also, I have 2 Kansas cars listed that are exactly *opposite* of the rule, with an SS showing "- -" and a COPO showing "72 72"..."

Nice Rob
But are you saying these two cars are showing this on their cowl tag or paper work?
Also,is that COPO a Kansas-Leeds assembled 427 COPO Chevelle?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I´m not that sure on Chevelle-facts but wouldn´t certain emblem holes or lack of these in the original fenders, combined with the original SS-hood tell us something ? Or did all 1969 Chevelles have identical fenders (with certain holes) regardless of what engine it was equipped with at the factory ?
Also, the original tailpanel on an SS-car has the SS-trim attached in elongated holes, so a COPO with SS trim would have drilled round holes in the tail panel. Even if the elongated holes have been welded, I think it would be possible to make something out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rear trim is the same on a COPO/vs. SS with the exception of the SS emblem, but the problem is, this car was likely dressed up as an SS by a previous owner (based on the large "SS" painted on the glass in the OP's first pic) so even if it has holes for SS emblems today, that doesn't convince me they were they were from day 1. Now with that said, if there's no evidence the rear tail panel ever had an SS emblem/holes in the center, I'd say that's a very telling sign. Roger, did the car ever have any emblem of any sort in the center of the tail panel when you bought it new, or just the Chevelle/DH emblems on the deck lid?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool... So that basically means the paint code on the trim tag doesn't really rule out nor confirm anything. Was that 72-72 COPO at an SCR by chance? I'm almost sure I recall seeing one somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yessir...I would be hesitant to say yea/nay based on the paint code alone...as with any statistic, there's always those outlier numbers. I'll have to check my notes about any 72-72 car @ SCR, but they're at the other office, and I may not make it there today...I'm thinking I'll drop by the auto mechanics class this morning at the local high school with some "eye candy"...

[ QUOTE ]
But are you saying these two cars are showing this on their cowl tag or paper work?
Also,is that COPO a Kansas-Leeds assembled 427 COPO Chevelle?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cowl tags on both, build sheet on one (haven't seen it personally yet, though)...and yes, Leeds cars.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

What does Mark Hassett's orange COPO have on the trim tag? I saw the car mentioned here but don't recall reading anything about his trim tag.
James
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

There were NO SS emblems outside (except the wheel caps) or inside the car & no decals on the engine or air cleaner.

Black stripes on the hood, hood locks, large crossed flags on the front fenders, black tail panel as depicted in the photo shopped picture and a single "Dick Harrell" emblem on the deck lid . . .

Last edited by RogerD; 01-12-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:11 AM

More documents to Val today . . .

There were no SS emblems in the center of the rear panel - no, nada, nothing . . .

One of the previous owners stuck an SS emblem on the grill in front and also an SS 396 emblem in the center of the rear panel - they are now gone ...

I've related an incident to certain DHPC folks that occurred during the first 12K miles - while the car was at Bill Allen Chevrolet for warranty work, they banged up the hood, top and rear deck lid (without telling me). They repaired them, repainted with a coat of primer + a coat of orange + black hood stripes (without telling me). I noticed the stripes on the hood were flat black when I picked it up but it didn't register - just thought they gave it a good wash and took all of the wax (I waxed it almost every weekend) off and now it was fresh. About two weeks later, I noticed the black stripes were cracking and the orange on the hood, top and deck lid was doing the same. Took it back, asked the service writer about it - he says "we didn't do that" - I escalated to the shop manager and he says "we had an accident - the hood was laying on the top and slid off - had to repaint it, the top and deck lid"! I was furious but to no avail - they offered to clean it off, furnish me a 'free' rent car and repaint it - I had no choice but to accept.

Tonight, I sanded through the cross piece in front of the hood and bingo - multiple layers of paint . . .

More confirmation, like the barrel I clipped in Nov 69 and put a flat spot on the LF fender . . .
Attached Images

Last edited by RogerD; 10-26-2020 at 08:56 PM.