Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default F70 vs G70 poly's???

Hello,

I am about to purshase some Goodyear Polyglas tires for my 70 Chevelle SS. I was going to order the F70's because that is of course what came on the car. But I noticed some folks are putting G70's on their cars. They seem to fill the wheel well a little better and look a little more aggressive. Anyway, has anyone had experiance with both of these tires in order to say if one is any better than the other?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 AM

Default Re: F70 vs G70 poly's???

I can't help you relative to a 70 Anthony, but here is a comparison on my 69. The G70's were on it when I purchased the car and then I switched to the F70's. Hopefully you can recognize the slight difference. The G's definitely fill the wheelwells a little better. Whether they are more aggressive or not is a matter of personal taste I guess. First pic is with G's. Hope these help a bit.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Don,
Your 69 looks incredible by the way!
It looks so good with both types of tires. I should probably stick to what came on it I guess.
Could you tell a difference in the 2 the way it drove?

Whoops I just noticed I should have put this posting a different section....
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 AM

Seeing The "Blue Beast" never gets old! She will look even better soon with the correct exhaust and smog going back on!

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 AM

f70s on a BB (even an LS6 [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] ) '70 Chevelle was laughable (way undersized series-wise and wheel size-wise) particularly when u consider what the competition at the time was shodding their cars with. Hemi cars got the G60-15s, even Olds had the G70s on their 455 cars. I suppose Chev. figured their customers would replace tires/wheels anyway for their Chevelle SSs so they saved money on tires to keep their prices more competitive.

The answer to your question depends. Are you going for correctness, better performance, personal likes, looks, driveability, etc. If you are not going for correctness....do what floats-your-boat!! There is nothing to say that an owner back in the day would not have upgraded his tire series to improve performance. It probably happened once or twice. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif[/img]

P.S. I like Don's BLUE BEAST too!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]

Old 02-05-2011, 02:19 AM

If you are spending the extra $$$ for the polyglas tires I would go with the correct size. If you are concerned with drivability, handling etc... and like the looks of a larger tire... I would go with a modern radial. JMO
Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 AM

Why not put the G series size from Firestone Wide-Ovals as they do not show the size in white letters.
I know a lot of 70 chevelle owners that used the firestone and it looks great too,plus they are cheaper than the goodyear's.

Also i vote not to use the modern Radial tires as they look terrible compared to the stock tires.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 AM

Not Poly's, or a 70, or a Chevelle for that matter, but it's got the G70-14's.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Damn that looks good Bill! It needs to be at MCACN [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]

Don's Chevelle as well!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">f70s on a BB (even an LS6 [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] ) '70 Chevelle was laughable (way undersized series-wise and wheel size-wise) particularly when u consider what the competition at the time was shodding their cars with. Hemi cars got the G60-15s, even Olds had the G70s on their 455 cars. I suppose Chev. figured their customers would replace tires/wheels anyway for their Chevelle SSs so they saved money on tires to keep their prices more competitive.

The answer to your question depends. Are you going for correctness, better performance, personal likes, looks, driveability, etc. If you are not going for correctness....do what floats-your-boat!! There is nothing to say that an owner back in the day would not have upgraded his tire series to improve performance. It probably happened once or twice. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif[/img]

P.S. I like Don's BLUE BEAST too!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img] </div></div>

Sam,
I think we are thinking along the same lines here. My car s far from a trailer queen but it is a nice #'s matching and correct with an exception of headers and a few odds and ends that I am trying to correct. I drive this thing almost every weekend depending on the weather. I would like better drivability and performance while staying period correct. So it sounds like you are saying that the G70's may make the car drive a bit better over all compared to the F70s.
Hmmm, I am still caught in the middle somewhat. Another thought....I am running the factory original 3.31 gears and would prefer not to lose too much gear with a taller tire. But its not a deal breaker, just a thought.
I have Eagle ST 225/70/14 radials on the car now that were put on by the previous owner back in 1994 LOL! Needless to say I can not wait to restore my wheels ASAP and get the correct style tires installed. http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...1526-small.jpg

I like the Firestones, but they do not look quite as good as the Goodyear's IMOP. I know, just a personal preference...

Don, heard your sound clip from your exhaust. OMG, that thing sounds amazing!!!!

That is one killer El Camino!!!WOW!!!

Thanks for the help!!!!