Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-05-2022, 05:35 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
That promo was written long before they even cast an 3970010 block which didn't show up until the last part of April, 1969. "Tougher" could just be referring to a design change where some part of the block was beefed up.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, so it really doesn't matter one way or another to me.

Phil, are you saying there is credible evidence that "The best blocks have both tin and nickel, and show two numbers: 010 and 020, which means the block has 10% tin and 20% nickel."???

I don't believe anyone disputes there were a lot of design changes. If you have some GM documentation on the percentage of tin and nickel, I would be interested in seeing it. Just post it.
Yes showing respect is uncomfortable.

Right now Nobody wants to take a position because they are hedging that I could be holding back.

Ball is in your court guys. You watched a member here openly mock me which is the normal progression of things as the flame war that started nearly 10 years ago continues.

Lynn you are a Lawyer. When one side makes a motion you are rule bound to reply.

You do not get to question me further on my submittal because absent a credible argument the other reply is “gee Phil we jumped to conclusions and we are sorry”.

A non reply on the other hand admits my position as the fact
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
lbnaz (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,992 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post

You do not get to question me further on my submittal because absent a credible argument the other reply is “gee Phil we jumped to conclusions and we are sorry”.

A non reply on the other hand admits my position as the fact

OBJECTION !!! Badgering the witness, PHIL
NO ONE is going to reply because we are all sick and tired of your bullying, badgering insistence on being right.
It has become PAINFULLY obvious that you will not quit until others do and you can feel self justified that you WIN...
Silence is not winning, it's just the rest being tired of your tactics.

Are you holding back ????????????

If so, the cards are on the table and now it's YOUR turn to show your hand of aces. If you have credible, documented PROOF to back up all your conjecture and smoke, we're ALL waiting to see it.

If not, then it's well past time for you to agree to disagree and stop the badgering to get your way.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 12-05-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
OBJECTION !!! Badgering the witness, PHIL
NO ONE is going to reply because we are all sick and tired of your bullying, badgering insistence on being right.
It has become PAINFULLY obvious that you will not quit until others do and you can feel self justified that you WIN...
Silence is not winning, it's just the rest being tired of your tactics.

Are you holding back ????????????

If so, the cards are on the table and now it's YOUR turn to show your hand of aces. If you have credible, documented PROOF to back up all your conjecture and smoke, we're ALL waiting to see it.

If not, then it's well past time for you to agree to disagree and stop the badgering to get your way.
Mitch,

Calm down and look through the thread. Where is the information that I posted that is wrong or incorrect ?

Your reply looks like an attempt to get the thread locked or entirely deleted.

Not good.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:32 PM

I have no idea about the original question and no dog in the fight. But it is very obvious to me that pictures of casting differences between a 1973 and a 1969 block don't have one single thing to do with what the metal content of either of those blocks is or is not. For example, 1965-66 396 blocks (both 961 and 962) carry the same casting numbers and part numbers across both years, but there are numerous significant casting differences between early 65 396 blocks and 66 396 blocks. That does not mean the metal content was any different. Maybe after 4 years the content was different, maybe it wasn't. But casting differences have nothing to do with that question.

And if I was going to weigh evidence and render a judgment (continuing the courtroom theme started earlier), I would find it very easy to believe the guy who is "a metallurgist and was superintendent of the melt department at the Tonawanda metal casting plant." Is anyone else posting in this thread a metallurgist? Is anyone else posting in this thread a former SUPERINTENDENT of the melt department at the Tonawanda metal casting plant (not just a low level laborer, but a SUPERINTENDENT)?

This is not the same as the silliness of an assembly line worker claiming he remembers what head marking was on a screw he installed on a certain Wednesday in between punching the clock to get his paycheck 50+ years ago. I find it hard to conceive of anyone who would be any more likely to know what the metal content of a casting was than the person who was "a metallurgist and superintendent of the melt department at the metal casting plant" at the time in question.

So what am I missing here ??
66 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffschevelle For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (12-06-2022), billj (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:37 PM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 332 Posts

Phil - Don Quixote has nothing on you!

That's a lot of research to prove that:

- there were 12 stations at the oil sand oven where front and rear housings cores were produced. 6 International machines for front housings and 6 International machines for rear housings. So, that means 6 DIFFERENT core boxes for each housing (plus the spare core boxes up in the pattern storage area on the second floor. Not every core box was identical due to repairs and cosmetic changes made over the years. this same explanation applies to changes in the filter bowl set core area (only there were 24 individual inserts plus spares). Ditto for the cope and drag patterns where there were 3 of each (plus spares).

The flow off scar on the top rail is an addition to the patterns that I HAD MADE. There was a problem with gas accumulating at the top of the rail during mold fill. We added those pins to help the gas escape better.

anyone who thinks we added 10-20% nickel to gray cast iron isn't just silly.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bergy For This Useful Post:
169indy (12-07-2022), 1967Z28 (12-06-2022), billj (12-05-2022), jer (12-06-2022), Steve Shauger (12-06-2022), William (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
The Story as we know it:

Nickel was used to harden the bore surfaces so the ring seal is better. Tin was used to make the block heat and cool more evenly. Tin and Nickel are shown as percentages in numbers cast into the block under the timing chain cover.

A "high nickel" block will have either "010" or "020", which indicates 10% and 20% nickel, accordingly.

The best blocks have both tin and nickel, and show two numbers: 010 and 020, which means the block has 10% tin and 20% nickel.

Some of the the early 400 SBC were also 010 and 020 cast and quickly became the go to choice for the circle track racers because they held up and dominated the track conditions the aftermarket followed and that motor became the go to engine for that kind of racing.
I have no real knowledge of the block difference, however, I do find it hard to believe these high percentages of Tin and Nickel. Perhaps 1% and 2% is more accurate.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:46 PM

Bergy,

Good. Progress.

So far Where in this thread did I offer anything stating that the Nickel/Tin thing was 100% real?

Note: I didn't.

Many here are basing their informed opinions on the fact that the blocks were "all the same."

Are they? How does this relate to .10/.20?

Start there.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:26 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,181 Posts

Phil: I can't admit your position as fact if I don't even know your position.

I can't tell from any of your posts if you believe the 010 blocks have higher tin and nickel content.
COPO (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:41 PM

Fair enough. I appreciate your candid reply.

Just so you know I have complete understanding of all the positions taken here and unlike you I understand them.

In order to even reach a discussion point one of these sides is going to need to entertain the idea of a radically different position.

My position that the blocks were different is supported with evidence.

Ball is still in your court guys.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:00 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,181 Posts

I'm no good at riddles; I am out.