Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-09-2015, 12:52 AM

Default undercarriage semi gloss black

Guys, lookin for some help in painting the undercarriage and firewall on my other 68 nova ss in the black semi gloss look, some like it a bit flatter ,but a prefer a little shiny look... lookin for a mixing formula to achieve this look..currently the underneath is in a PPG DP 90.. it is ready to spray and would like to make sure I get it close...any help appreciated...PM me if would prefer to sent a mixing formula ,would prefer a PPG mix as this is a PPG store here in florida locally... thanks,Chris Teed
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 AM

Default Re: undercarriage semi gloss black

Hi Chris,

Just ask your local PPG store to give you there M148 flatting agent chart. I have it at the shop not on a computer. I used Omni Black base with some hardener and the flattening agent on my sub frame and under side of L79. I used the egg shell mixing ratio. I sprayed out the semi gloss and it was to glossy for me. I used Omni M148 flattener and MTK base.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I agree with Jason's approach with the only difference being that I used PPG's Deltron line - just personal preference.

I sprayed:
- DMC902 - Concept Carbon Black
- DCX61 - hardner
- SU4985 - matting agent

Like Jason said, spray it out first to make sure you like the gloss level - I didn't and also like Jason would have preferred a little less gloss with our finished product, but I'm hoping the gloss will tone down over time...

67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 12-09-2015, 05:33 PM

I've been using SEM Rust Shield in 'black' thin no more than 10% ...dries down nice. Tad flatter than the Concept. I used to use PPG with 'flatner' in years gone by but found the 'flatting' agent to be wildly inconsistent from job to job.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1968 nova ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, lookin for some help in painting the undercarriage and firewall on my other 68 nova ss in the black semi gloss look, some like it a bit flatter ,but a prefer a little shiny look... lookin for a mixing formula to achieve this look..currently the underneath is in a PPG DP 90.. it is ready to spray and would like to make sure I get it close...any help appreciated...PM me if would prefer to sent a mixing formula ,would prefer a PPG mix as this is a PPG store here in florida locally... thanks,Chris Teed </div></div>

The DP 90 you already have on there is probably the &quot;by the book&quot; mix of the DP and hardener, so it's probably a little dull. I had an experienced painter advise me to add some reducer to give it some gloss (just a little). DP hardens like a rock and seals the surface so I decided to leave it that way, without a top coat of paint. I practiced a lot on some scrap metal and wound up with (what I think) is the perfect finish. I shot it wet with a lower pressure than recommended. Like others have said, you just have to play with the reducer and your gun settings and spray test patches until you're happy.

Before

After

Verne
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with Jason's approach with the only difference being that I used PPG's Deltron line - just personal preference.

I sprayed:
- DMC902 - Concept Carbon Black
- DCX61 - hardner
- SU4985 - matting agent

Like Jason said, spray it out first to make sure you like the gloss level - I didn't and also like Jason would have preferred a little less gloss with our finished product, but I'm hoping the gloss will tone down over time...

</div></div>

Omni is the inexpensive way out. I had to put down 4 coats of paint for it to cover. Marlin most likely used 2 concept is a lot more expensive.

I have also used sem rust shield on various projects.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Ironically, I sprayed my Yenko Deuce with DP90 mixed as a sealer (achieved by adding reducer to the concoction), and while I liked it for my Yenko because it matched the original black sheen it would have been a little too flat for Benjamin's '69 Nova. So, that is why I went with the topcoat / flattener method. I did learn that if you keep a nice coat of spray wax on the DP90 sealer coat, it will keep a real nice sheen - just keep it from being exposed to direct sunlight for too long.

Everything black in this pic is DP90 mixed as a sealer, I varied the reducer ratio to change the sheen on the various components.

67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:55 AM

If it's a 68 any chance the bottom was ruby red?

My 2 cents. Frt stubs vary on amount of paint applied. My original deuce had almost nothing. I tend to think the material was one of 4 brands of laquer. Unbuffed black laquer has a dull blue sheen. Opinion: Most anything you put on will be much better than the original stuff. Original old dp before it became dplf laid flatter and looked closer. Actually, if you let the dplf age in the sun, it starts to look like the original faded out laquer :-)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Also, DP90LF vs DP90 is not black (enough) do a spray out and look at it in the direct sunlight and compare it to another black. JMO. It does lay down nicely slightly reduced. JMO
Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanked 1,768 Times in 747 Posts

Is anyone still using the GM#1050104 chassis black any more?

Dykstra Motorsports