Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,946 Times in 499 Posts
Default 66 Buick GS at Mecum Indy

Does anybody know this car? I have a client wondering if he should go to the trouble and risk of online bidding to go after it. Normally I'd advise him to pass, but low mileage 4sp GS cars are somewhat few and far between. Go ahead and post positive comments here, I just want to know what kind of quality it is. Rumours and deep dark secrets might be best PM'd. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...=SC0511-106468

(Conversely, if any of you folks have a nice, no apologies '65/'66 GS 4sp car for sale, send me a PM.)

Thanks much,
TOM B
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM

Default Re: 66 Buick GS at Mecum Indy

Tom,

If you havn`t already, I would ask the experts here.....

http://www.v8buick.com/

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts

----Nice Buick!!! Maybe Buizilla will see this post and give you and your client some insight. He is the most informed Buick guy I know. If you think a 66 4-spd is hard to find try to find a nice 65 GS 4-spd.......Bill S
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 AM

I agree.........Nice Buick GS.......
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Thanked 1,946 Times in 499 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Dan, I haven't posted on V8Buick because I don't think I've joined that site over the years, and honestly, I don't know many of the guys there well enough to know what their opinion means. Most of the frequent posters on here I've seen enough of their stuff over the last decade that I have an idea of what their opinion is worth. Plus its easy for me to post here, since I check it fairly often. And I'm not really on a quest for this, since I just have to try and bird-dog for somebody every few years to remind myself what an impossible and thankless task it usually becomes

That said, anybody remember which issue of Musclecar Review its in?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 PM

----Tom,,,I just looked a bit closer at the pics and it suddenly hit me that this is the last year for the &quot;Nailhead&quot;. While extremely good looking, the aluminum valve covers would be incorrect. Plain old stamped steel valve-covers would have come on the car new. While looking at that, the engine pic seems to show a Riviera dual-quad air-cleaner, also never an option on any Gran Sport. I think the correct single quad a-c was smaller in diameter and a bit taller, although I could be wrong. I also think the car might show a bit better if the under dash guages were all in one holder as opposed to being hung separatly.....Bill S
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Tom,,,I just looked a bit closer at the pics and it suddenly hit me that this is the last year for the &quot;Nailhead&quot;. While extremely good looking, the aluminum valve covers would be incorrect. Plain old stamped steel valve-covers would have come on the car new. While looking at that, the engine pic seems to show a Riviera dual-quad air-cleaner, also never an option on any Gran Sport. I think the correct single quad a-c was smaller in diameter and a bit taller, although I could be wrong. I also think the car might show a bit better if the under dash guages were all in one holder as opposed to being hung separatly.....Bill S </div></div>

Pretty sure the Riviera's had those valve covers in 66...maybe the option list for a GS ??
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 PM

----Yup,,,I believe they were standard on Riviera Gran Sports with dual quads. There also may have been a dress-up package for lesser Rivi's, but, while they will fit any nail-head engine, they were never available as an option on Skylark GS's. Would I put them on a Skylark GS if I had one??? In a Michigan second. They are one of the coolest valve-covers ever made,IMHO!!!!......Bill S
Old 04-09-2011, 04:22 AM

The aluminum valve covers were available over the counter and were a popular dress up option on Skylark GS. They were not available as a production option on that model.

Dual quads also ....only on the Rivs, but were a popular add on by dealers or owners after the fact.

Mike Mancini