Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-12-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Original Dealer Info

What kind of success if any is available in talking to orig dealer. 33 years ago is a long time to keep information that would be priceless to GURU's like us.

Danny
Old 01-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: Original Dealer Info

Check out my post from a month or two ago "Pacecar 124679N638573 I found your original docs". Nice things happen once in a while. You'll never know if you don't ask. The key is to be upfront, polite and it never hurts to offer them cash for their time. Try to talk to the Gen. Mgr or owner if possible. Bob Peck Chevrolet in Arlington VA was the dealership where my Z11 was sold from as a used car in August 1969 after being a Wash DC Zone display vehicle for 5 months. The dealer refused any cash and even let me look through their warehouse of old documents. They've been in business since 1943! Class Act all the way, Still owned by the same family -
Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 AM

Danny that happens to be one of the good stories but the unfortunate reality is that most dealers don't have any paperwork from that far back. I have been in the retail car business for my whole working career and have not worked for a dealer yet that has had old records. Most dealers are only required to keep records for about 7 years. In the years since the muscle car era a lot of dealers have been sold off to new owners or corporations or have been rebuilt, relocated, or cleaned out. But like saying goes you have to keep trying.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 PM

A dealership in my area has A book of all invoices for all cars sold since new. I personally saw it about A year ago when A member from this board who lives in Canada asked me if I lived nearby and could talk with them about his car which was sold new at that dealership in 67. They had his stuff!! I am planning on going back soon and asking if I can look through the book myself and make copies of any possible "special" cars paperwork they may have.

Tommy
Old 01-12-2004, 10:12 PM

Frank, I called BERGER at least 4 times. They have nothing from 1969. At least that is what they said. sam
Old 01-14-2004, 01:38 AM

It was told to me by Dennis Barker that if Mr. Berger would have known that these cars were going to be that special he would have worried about keeping the CARS not the paperwork!