Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 06:04 PM

Default Yenko Stinger Vega prototype?

Hey all, it's been years since I've posted here so my apologies if this topic is old hat for some or has already been answered, but here goes: I attended MCACN on Saturday and saw a convention center FULL of awesomeness, but among them - and more to my particular interest - was Mark Hassett's orange Yenko Stinger Vega. When I posted pictures of it back to another GM H-body forum, I had a response from one of the members that was curious and I came here to see if I could find some answers. Is anyone aware of this particular car he's describing below? If so, any details as to it's location and/or condition? Here is the post:

"...Back in 1979 I purchased a rotted out Yenko Stinger Vega for $200 from an apparently desperate - uninformed owner in Castle Shannon,PA. Everything was there, the engine although badly damaged was complete Yenko stripes still there. The body was just gone. I had a car that I have posted pictures of on this site before so I sold the car to a close friend who began restoration. In the process he looked up VIN numbers and found this Vega was the prototype Stinger Vega. He even found an article done in a national magazine on this car. After he had the car running and about 90% restored he sold the car for money and a motorcycle to another friend. I have tried over the years to find the this person and possibly make him an offer but have had no luck. Anyone in the Western PA area who may have come in contact with this car I would love to hear it is still around. The car was originally white or a really faded light blue and was repainted white after lots of body repair..."

Thanks in advance... I realize some of the information above is somewhat vague - I will pursue more details from him in the meantime. It was good to see some old familiar faces at MCACN. I didn't stop to say Hi to anyone because the last time I met any of you was 2002 at the SuperCar Renion when I brought a friend's fathom green '69 Yenko Camaro and I'm sure you wouldn't have remembered me. Either way, it was great to see Mark's car and all the other great supercars there.

Ken Mahoy
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-22-2016, 09:17 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts
Default Re: Yenko Stinger Vega prototype?

was it a Turbo Stinger Vega?

there are pictures around of a yellow turbo stinger vega with aluminum wheels that may have been a prototype as the stripe was a little different on it then the production stripes
Old 11-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Yenko Stinger Vega prototype?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was it a Turbo Stinger Vega?

there are pictures around of a yellow turbo stinger vega with aluminum wheels that may have been a prototype as the stripe was a little different on it then the production stripes </div></div>

Joe, are you referring to Mark's orange Stinger, or the prototype? Of all the &quot;early&quot; Stingers I've seen, the yellow one with the non-production hood stripe was the most commonly publicized. There was a Turbo Vega road test in Super Street Cars (April 1972) that states the car ran 15.2 but Yenko told them it can get into the 14's. If memory serves, this was the yellow car, which Mark had pictured in front of his car from the McClurg book. Other than that, I have seen pics of a sky blue Yenko Stinger (that more closely matches the description above) but don't think it was ever turbo'd.