Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Ford-Mercury

Old 09-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Looks like my dog is a jinx. Part 2

Last weekend I had replaced the master cylinder and sanded and repainted the brake booster. I also pulled out the starter to get it rebuilt locally to solve the hard hot start issue. Turns out it had a bent armature. He had it fixed overnight and I put it in Saturday morning. Boy is that thing heavy, especially when you have to lift it one handed and try to squeeze it in sideways between the steering linkage and the frame.

After I got the starter in, I took the Lincoln out yesterday to buy dogfood for the dog. As I merged with traffic on a local side road, the transmission shifted weirdly into third - actually it sounded like it was shifting and the engine RPM changed but the car was not moving forward any faster. I manually shifted into second and the problem disappeared. I put it in drive and it then shifted normally to third.

I got the dogfood and went to drive to my buddy's garage to tell him about the shift glitch. We discover that the vacuum line to the transmission modulator was not connected. That seemed like a totally logical reason for the weird shift incident. I thank him and go to leave. I put it in reverse and back up a few feet and then shift to drive.....nothing happens. No first gear, no second gear, no third gear. No forward movement at all. I was like the shifter linkage fell off only I still had park, reverse, and neutral. So Al, my mechanic buddy declared my transmission DOA and I called AAA to tow it home. Luckily I was only 6 miles away and they flatbedded to my driveway and I was able to back it into its space in the garage.

Last edited by njsteve; 09-16-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Well, I had been thinking about pulling the engine and transmission in order to regasket everything since the cardboard under the car looks like the Shroud of Turin with a perfect image of a 460, a C6, and a 9-inch diff all exactly reproduced in oil drips in outline form.

So I guess yesterday's tranny adventure has pushed me over the edge and I now have my next Fall/Winter project to play with. Out comes the 365 horse/500 lb torque, 10-1/2 to 1 compression, 460 and the non functional C6. I have a local old-time transmission rebuilder lined up for the C6. I am also going to install a dual exhaust on this car since it still has it's 2-1/4" single pipe (rusty) muffler setup on it now. That should wake things up a bit for the 5500 lb car. Hot Rod Lincoln, here we come!

Stay tuned!

And here is the jinx dog trying his best to feign innocence while hiding underneath his bodyguard.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 09-16-2018 at 11:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (09-19-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

That car should have the 9 3/8 rear end, not the 9 inch. Keep this in mind if you ever have to buy parts for it.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I will have to start reviewing all the factory service manuals that my grandfather bought for the car back in the day. There’s half a dozen Ford service volumes in the trunk.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:08 PM

Time for some preliminary tests...I warmed up the engine for a half hour (and even tried putting it in gear and low and behold, drive works again!) in preparation for a compression test. I pulled the plugs and the coil wire and propped the throttle wide open.

Here's the results:

Cyl 1: 205 psi
Cyl 2: 205 psi
Cyl 3: 210 psi
Cyl 4: 207 psi
Cyl 5: 205 psi
Cyl 6: 206 psi
Cyl 7: 205 psi
Cyl 8: 207 psi

I guess the rule of thumb is that you want them all within a 10% range of each other. Looks like this is around a 1% range!

And here are the plugs. They appear to be burning nicely for the 443 miles I put on the car in five years. Running on 93 octane plus some 100 low-lead Avgas.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 09-18-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Since the engine was already warmed up, I pulled an oil sample and I'll send it out for analysis just to see what it says. Once I get the engine out and on the stand I'll pull the pan and check the main and rod bearings. I don't plan on touching the short block other than maybe a new oil pump, rear main seal, and gaskets. I will most likely pull the heads and get a valve job and new valve seals installed. Maybe new valve springs if they don't meet spec.

Last edited by njsteve; 09-18-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 AM

Been a long time since I had a Ford with transmission problems, but when I had shifting problems like that it was because the aluminum valve body was worn and the valves that were supposed to move freely were hung up by a ridge of aluminum. I pulled the valve body, removed several of the valves and lightly scraped the openings in the valve body till the valves were able to move freely again. Of course your problem could be something completely different, but I'd ask someone familiar with those transmissions before going to all the work of pulling the complete transmission.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 AM

My old time mechanic friend said the same thing - valve body issues. But from sitting so long - over 27 years since my Grandfather passed and the car has only driven around 1000 miles in that timespan, it is time for a freshening up.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Ah, detective work. MacGyver is back at it! Good luck and consider leaving JR at home until you sort things out!

Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 PM

Spent the weekend unbolting everything and removing the engine and transmission. I now realize why the factory manual recommends removing the engine by itself and the transmission later. This has to be the world's longest transmission! The adjustable leveling engine lifting saddle really came in handy as I had to pull it at a diagonal to get it to clear the nose since the entire front end rose about a 10 inches in the air once the weight of the engine was taken off the frame. I then had to pull the front tires and lower the body to the ground on two floor jacks just to get the assembly to clear the nose. Did it all by myself, with the wife and son only assisting during the final maneuvering over the front sheetmetal when someone had to hold up the trans yoke to clear the final hurdle while the hoist was pulled forward.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 09-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.