NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Default Re: ROTTING MUSCLECARS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the stripes on the side and top,is that a real peice of a shelby car?
71 SS LS5 chevelle
Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Yep, looks like the back half of a 66.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM

not to worry, I am CERTAIN that "car" is on the road today, probably sold at auction as a low mile (wrecked when it was new, is that what low mile means?) matching numbers car ...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not to worry, I am CERTAIN that "car" is on the road today, probably sold at auction as a low mile (wrecked when it was new, is that what low mile means?) matching numbers car ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Undoubtedly. In a small rural junkyard in the middle of Kansas, there's the remains of a 67 Shelby. I'm sure the car's missing V.I.N. numbers are resting comfortably on a six cylinder fastback in somebody's garage.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Undoubtedly. In a small rural junkyard in the middle of Kansas, there's the remains of a 67 Shelby. I'm sure the car's missing V.I.N. numbers are resting comfortably on a six cylinder fastback in somebody's garage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been going on for YEARS.

I am sure most people would be surprised at how many rebodied, clipped, brought back for being totalled type cars are out there and undetectable.

The insurance companies sanction it by selling totalled cars at auction rather then having them crushed. There are body shops that make a living exclusively from grafting two cars togather and reselling them. If you think they all have salvage titles you are wrong. I know in AZ. they used to take the AZ. title to N.M. and title it and the salvage disappeared. If the car was ever titled back in AZ. no one ever knew.

And we thought that "don't ask don't tell" was just a recent military term.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure most people would be surprised at how many rebodied, clipped, brought back for being totalled type cars are out there and undetectable.

The insurance companies sanction it by selling totalled cars at auction rather then having them crushed. There are body shops that make a living exclusively from grafting two cars togather and reselling them. If you think they all have salvage titles you are wrong. I know in AZ. they used to take the AZ. title to N.M. and title it and the salvage disappeared. If the car was ever titled back in AZ. no one ever knew.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for retagged cars couldnt you buy the shell of say a Mopar with the VIN on the Radiator support and go head hunting for the clown who cloned your car?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As for retagged cars couldnt you buy the shell of say a Mopar with the VIN on the Radiator support and go head hunting for the clown who cloned your car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess it would depend on the situation.

Typically what happens when a car is rebodied LEGALLY there are two cars involved that the same person owns both of them. They switch parts/bodies/V.I.N.s however they determine to be end up with what they want. Usually this involves a desireable hipo car that is either heavily body damaged or heavily rusted. In these cases the better condition donor body survives with the identity of the higher value/desireable car and the junk body goes to the boneyard.

If on the other hand you are asking if you could locate YOUR stolen car, then yes it is possible. The very reason that the "hidden numbers" are on a car is for this purpose. That assumes the thief/chop shop was not aware of the hidden numbers. Over the years the "hobby" has become aware of these numbers and when a LEGAL rebody as described above takes place, they are usually educated enough to switch the hidden numbers as well. Early on in the hobby many were not aware of this and rebodies happened without the hidden numbers making the transfer. This is why people are cautioned to check those numbers when looking a car over prior to purchase.