Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Default 1968 Dodge GSS 440 Dart, Mr. Norm's Grand Spauldin

<span style="font-weight: bold">1968 Dodge GSS 440 Dart, Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Sport </span>

Each of 48 1968 Darts were ordered by Mr. Norm as a Special Order vehicle, build as if they were 383 cars, but delivered to Hurst-Campbell less drivetrain for 440 conversions. The broadcast sheet for these models read &quot;BUILD LESS ENG TRANS CARB AIR CLNR&quot;. Once the 440 conversion was completed by Hurst-Campbell, each modified Dart GTS was inspected by Dodge service personnel at Hurst then shipped directly to:

Grand Spaulding Auto Sales, Inc.
3300 W. Grand Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60651

Special Monroney Labels (Window Stickers) were hand prepared by Hamtramck Assembly. The GSS epitomizes the dynamic relationship between the voice of the customer, the dealership, and the car maker to deliver on short order the performance that the public demanded during the Muscle Car Era. GM had the COPO program available to the entire dealer network and Don Yenko branded a number of those for himself. Carroll Shelby appended the VIN of the cars he converted from Ford. Like most high performance Mopars, even absent original paperwork, the original fender tag and the dash VIN plate tell you what the car is. The authenticity is in the &quot;M&quot;. The &quot;M&quot; Code Dart is the only example of a manufacturer designating a VIN code for one dealership. With good reason, Grand Spaulding Dodge sold fully half of the high performance Dodge vehicles for the entire country. Of the original 48 production GSS Darts, only 12 persist. This is the only maroon/white interior GSS known to exist.

Year: 1968
Make: Dodge
Model: GSS
Price: $95,500
Odometer: 87472
VIN: members only
Engine HP: 375
Cylinders: 8
Displacement: 440
Transmission: Automatic Floor Shift
Gears: 727 Torqueflight Automatic
Rear End: 8.75&quot; Sure Grip
Final Drive: 3.55:1
Drivetrain: Rear-wheel Drive
Body Type: Dart
Exterior Color: RR1- Burgundy Poly w/ White Transverse Stripe, White Vinyl Top
Interior Color: White Interior

M Code: GSS Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Sport Package Includes:

440 4bbl 375hp V8 Engine
727 Torque flight Transmission
E70x14&quot; Firestone Red Streak Tires
Body Belt Moldings
3.55:1 Ratio w/8.75&quot; Axle
Sure-Grip Differential
Sport Stripe-Transverse
Full Vinyl Rook
AM Radio
Console
Special Order
*Not Available with Undercoating

If you are looking for a genuine piece of Muscle Car history that epitomizes the peak of “small car, big motor” and “race on Sunday, sell on Monday”, this Ruby and Pearl 1968 M-code Grand Spaulding Special is the clear choice. Asking Price is 95,000. Call me at 847-838-3749 or visit the SYA Showroom for more details ShowYourAuto.com

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts
Default Re: 1968 Dodge GSS 440 Dart, Mr. Norm's Grand Spauldin

Beautiful! GLWS
John 10:30
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM

One of the most nicest Mopar's I've seen!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]
I currently own a 1969 Camaro SS350. Although the original drivetrain is long gone, this 4/speed car has a March '69 HC coded block with #041 heads. The transmission is an M20 Muncie #660 case and the rearend is a BS coded 12 bolt posi. Built in Van Nuys.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I have seen several Mr. Norms GSS Darts over the years but this is the first one I've seen with a &quot;383 4 barrel&quot; emblem on the side of the front fender. All of the others I've seen had no engine designation emblem at all like the one I've pictured below. Just doesn't make sense to me that the factory would put a 383 emblem on a car that they were shipping to Hurst without any engine at all. Please understand that I am not knocking this car at all, it's a beautiful car that most here would love to own, but I've never seen this emblem on a GSS Dart before. Good luck with the sale of this very awesome car!!!

1970Camaro Z28
Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 Forest Green Zee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">doesn't make sense to me that the factory would put a 383 emblem on a car that they were shipping to Hurst without any engine at all. </div></div>

While I understand what your point is here, if you look at the internal Chrysler work order where it says &quot;The cars are to be programmed as regular Dart GTS with code 62 383 engines...&quot; I could see where the body plant might have included the 383 emblems. I know if I was wanting to drive one of these on the street back in the day, I certainly would have wanted the 383 emblems on there! I suppose it's possible that the Mr. Norm dealership removed the emblems on some or most of the cars, either due to their marketing desires or personal customer preferences [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 AM

Every original/unrestored '68 Dart GSS that I have seen has the 383 emblems, including this burgundy car which wore its original paint before restoration.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 AM

Thanked 1,623 Times in 498 Posts

How much did one of these little monsters weigh with the 440 set up..they had to be pretty light [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Pritchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 Forest Green Zee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">doesn't make sense to me that the factory would put a 383 emblem on a car that they were shipping to Hurst without any engine at all. </div></div>

While I understand what your point is here, if you look at the internal Chrysler work order where it says &quot;The cars are to be programmed as regular Dart GTS with code 62 383 engines...&quot; I could see where the body plant might have included the 383 emblems. I know if I was wanting to drive one of these on the street back in the day, I certainly would have wanted the 383 emblems on there! I suppose it's possible that the Mr. Norm dealership removed the emblems on some or most of the cars, either due to their marketing desires or personal customer preferences [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] </div></div>

Bill,

Very well said [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] I agree 100%.

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtiesmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every original/unrestored '68 Dart GSS that I have seen has the 383 emblems, including this burgundy car which wore its original paint before restoration. </div></div>

Norm told me they left them on because they didn't want to leave the mounting holes exposed and Mopar didn't make 440 badges. To me, it just adds to the street sleeper status.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Price Drop to $89,000</span>
Old 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM

SYA! SOLD.