Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-10-2023, 03:24 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 916 Posts

Strangely, I did check the gauge again for power where it comes out of the gauge, but when I ground the power lead going to the sender, it sweeps the gauge.

One of two scenarios.
1. I do not know how to properly use a test light.
2. The Sun gauge works a bit differently than stock arrangements.

On the bright side, the gauge appears to be good. The downside is the sender for these is tough to find.

At any rate, the problem is solved for now. Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort.

Tim

Last edited by napa68; 02-12-2023 at 09:29 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (02-12-2023), juliosz (02-11-2023), PeteLeathersac (02-11-2023), Steve Shauger (02-10-2023), Xplantdad (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 07:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

Sounds like the gauge doesn't send current until it senses a ground. I think you are back to the sender not grounding in the head. You went from cast to aluminum too. The head should be well grounded thru the head bolts, but never say never if the builder put sealant on those bolts too.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 02-12-2023, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napa68 View Post
Strangely, I did check the gauge again for power where it comes out of the gauge, but when I ground the power lead going to the sender, it sweeps the gauge.

One of two scenarios.
1. I do not know how to properly use a test light.
2. The Sun gauge works a bit differently than stock stock arrangements.

On the bright side, the gauge appears to be good. The downside is the sender for these is tough to find.

At any rate, the problem is solved for now. Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort
Tim

There’s a guy on EBay who reproduces those senders. He must know a fair amount about that particular gauge to make the senders no one else makes . Maybe send a message and ask for some pointers on testing . Is there someone close by you w a gauge you could wire in and test to see if it acts the same?

If you were concerned it was the sender not grounding just wrap a wire around the threads to the ground on the battery and see what it does. That should answer that question fairly quickly
Old 02-12-2023, 09:29 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
There’s a guy on EBay who reproduces those senders. He must know a fair amount about that particular gauge to make the senders no one else makes . Maybe send a message and ask for some pointers on testing . Is there someone close by you w a gauge you could wire in and test to see if it acts the same?

If you were concerned it was the sender not grounding just wrap a wire around the threads to the ground on the battery and see what it does. That should answer that question fairly quickly
I have a sender on the way from him. I should see it mid this coming week.