Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Look at the Black L-89 70 Nova...….. Enough said !!!!! Tribute cars are one thing.....Purpose built fake real cars are another...… That's why this site is so Important to protect the Pedigree of the "Real" cars !!!

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
dykstra (02-07-2019), earntaz (02-07-2019), Markyodb2 (02-07-2019), PeteLeathersac (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:22 PM

It’s getting high. I did my car when it was $35.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,077 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhizz View Post
Look at the Black L-89 70 Nova...….. Enough said !!!!! Tribute cars are one thing.....Purpose built fake real cars are another...… That's why this site is so Important to protect the Pedigree of the "Real" cars !!!

Absolutely Ken. What started this thread was the fact a company that sells reproduction parts would also sell documentation(yes blank) which could be used by those purchasing to make something into something its not. I prefer to do business with a company that chooses not to sell such items.

All reproduction documentation should have a watermark designating it as such....problem solved!

When clones are made to exacting degree to include restamping of components and reproduction documentation the line has been crossed.

I've seen too many cars morph into something they're not. We even had one enter our Vintage Certification in 2002 or so. It was represented as a 69 Camaro L89 convertible. The car had under 10K actual original miles, however it started life as a 327- 210hp powerglide car. The person who had the car cloned sold it as a clone, and made the purchaser sign a document acknowledging it was a clone. Well a few owners down the line it was sold as real. When a subsequent owner applied for Vintage Certification I did research as I do for all cars entering and uncovered information. I notified the owner but he came to the event with the car and tried to have it certified anyway and his entry was rejected. Beautiful car just wasn't as represented. It was discussed on this site and several others so the word got out.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com

Last edited by Steve Shauger; 02-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
67since67 (02-07-2019), kwhizz (02-07-2019), MYSTERYCHEVELLE (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shauger View Post
What started this thread was the fact a company that sells reproduction parts would also sell documentation(yes blank) which could be used by those purchasing to make something into something its not. I prefer to do business with a company that chooses not to sell such items.
Like so many other hobbies, this one has become one that is all about money and making the most of it by what ever means possible even if that means creating something that never was and taking advantage of the unsuspecting. In one word, greed!

So many people sell cars that never were, parts that are restamped or reproduction and sold as NOS using original boxes, bullsh!t stories behind cars to hype them up so as to make more money, etc, etc. I have tried very hard to not fall into that trap and still look at it as a hobby and one to be enjoyed but it is really tough some days. The inspections I do are just one area that I constantly see fraud taking place and many of these people think nothing of it.

This is just one of the reasons why clones are never allowed in this shop. I do not want to be associated with them in any way. If our name ever came up with one it would black list us so we just stay away from them.

Same goes for paperwork or cowl tags. If you want to create paperwork or tags "for show purposes only" then mark it as such or keep a registry with VIN's that have them. If you have nothing to hide than don't try hiding it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
67since67 (02-07-2019), copo69 (02-08-2019), kwhizz (02-07-2019), MYSTERYCHEVELLE (02-07-2019), PeteLeathersac (02-07-2019), R68GTO (02-08-2019), Rainer (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
Like so many other hobbies, this one has become one that is all about money and making the most of it by what ever means possible even if that means creating something that never was and taking advantage of the unsuspecting. In one word, greed!

So many people sell cars that never were, parts that are restamped or reproduction and sold as NOS using original boxes, bullsh!t stories behind cars to hype them up so as to make more money, etc, etc. I have tried very hard to not fall into that trap and still look at it as a hobby and one to be enjoyed but it is really tough some days. The inspections I do are just one area that I constantly see fraud taking place and many of these people think nothing of it.

This is just one of the reasons why clones are never allowed in this shop. I do not want to be associated with them in any way. If our name ever came up with one it would black list us so we just stay away from them.

Same goes for paperwork or cowl tags. If you want to create paperwork or tags "for show purposes only" then mark it as such or keep a registry with VIN's that have them. If you have nothing to hide than don't try hiding it.

Rick = A businessman with strict ethical standards.... 👍

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
The Following User Says Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhizz View Post
Rick = A businessman with strict ethical standards.... 👍

Another largely shrinking minority, especially in the car world also much more uncommon now than most truly rare cars themselves.
Rick Rocks!

~ Pete

Old 02-07-2019, 04:04 PM

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

This isn't rocket surgery.....