Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Parts/Memorabilia - For Sale

Please note

Old 09-13-2018, 03:09 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Just an FYI for future consideration to anyone shipping from Canada to USA. US Customs allows any single shipment as a federal exemption if value is under $800 to any US Citizen. Once the value exceeds $800 USD, they assess a commercial value against the order just like a duty charge we get in Canada. The carriers (especially UPS) then assess their own brokerage fee on top of that and the buyer on the US side gets that surprise bill from the carrier including any commercial charge assessed by US Customs.

It all adds up. Just sharing some info. Not trying to stir any pots.
Excellent info Norcam
I was willing to help anyone here to mark any value they wanted on the customs form anyways but I completely understand at the same time that some people don't want to do that. Like I said you live and learn and I plan to stay away from the expensive or large heavy stuff when I go picking for parts. Cheers
Old 09-14-2018, 05:26 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I was under the impression if the part was USA made, there were no customs duties coming back in from Canada. Proving it was USA made might be difficult though.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I think that's why they call it a commercial value charge. It ensures that whatever is being imported is brokered through customs under a bonded program so they can track exactly what's coming into the country regardless of it's original origin? If the original is foreign, then the broker would assess a customs fee with additional charges. The commercial value fee is not a lot, but the brokerage fee from the carrier isn't cheap nor are the bond fees for anything over that $800 exemption. I shipped a set of carbs to a guy in Texas and UPS sent him an added bill of $185 for import charges on a $1700 sale.

No different for the Canucks when we import parts from the US where we get hammered for brokerage and customs fees on the entire value. The only time we get an exemption is if we were visiting inside the US for more than 48 hours and then we get the $800 allowance. On top of that we get the added charges of Tax here in Canada, and it all adds up.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:49 PM

I've been using the "Antique Auto Parts" Nafta exemption provision to receive parts shipped from the U.S to Canada for my resto projects (69 COPO Camaro, 69 Z-28, 67 Hemi GTX, 70 Cougar 428CJ)

The parts need to be over 25 years old and I have them write "Made in the U.S.A" on the box, no duty applies then, not sure if it works in the other direction yet as I just started listing
parts for sale on this site.

Parts made in the Commonwealth are also duty free into Canada fyi

Cheers