Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chevy View Post
I tell you what, I don't know how those car owners can stand to have their cars parked on the downtown street on Friday evening. There are mobs of people all over the place and right on top of the cars. I would be a nervous wreck. I saw everything when I was there from baby strollers to wheelchairs right up against some of the cars.

Rich
Agree. I won't take mine down there. Way too crowded and the lack of respect is amazing.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 09-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

The machine shop that my son works at is looking for people with skills and the fabrication shop that my brother works at is looking for welders and machinist. There are not enough people getting into the skilled trades to fill the jobs around here. It seems like everyone who graduates from high school wants to go to college instead of learning how to work with their hands. The school that my son graduated from doesn't have kids filling the classes and the school that I went to has closed their machine shop and auto shop due to lack of interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (09-13-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 01:48 PM

The problem my wife is seeing at the company she works for it that people can't pass a simple drug test anymore. Can't tell you how many people they've had to turn away over the last 3-4 years because they can't pass a drug test. Plenty of applicants, have the skills, but can't lay off the drugs.

I don't see help wanted signs around here though, and never saw them when I lived in Ohio, but that's been 11 years ago. Things must have taken a bad turn out there since.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanked 1,377 Times in 670 Posts

My wife's cousin is the head of drug addiction counseling for an organization that deals with several school districts in Ohio, and he told me over the summer that the number of students, student parents, and general population that on opioids is staggering. He recommended the book, "Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic" if you want to truly see how widespread the problem is in the heartland of America.
John 10:30
Old 09-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
My wife's cousin is the head of drug addiction counseling for an organization that deals with several school districts in Ohio, and he told me over the summer that the number of students, student parents, and general population that on opioids is staggering. He recommended the book, "Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic" if you want to truly see how widespread the problem is in the heartland of America.
I believe it, and I probably understated how much of a problem it's been where my wife works. I'd bet all across America there are 1,000's of companies dealing with the same problem. People just can't pass a drug test.

It's a real issue in the work place. You can't have people doped up on something and running machinery and/or heavy equipment. That's a danger to themselves and everyone around them. Yet we have states that legalize pot making people think it's okay. I can tell you those medical marijuana cards have no sway with companies when it comes time to hire someone, legal or not. They just don't want the liabilities associated with it when something happens. But the way things are going I don't really see the problem getting better. I've even been told when it comes time for the applicant to pee in a cup, some of them simply give up on the interview process at that point, lol. Amazing how hard it is now to find a "clean" individual. I'd bet that's probably a big reason why so many companies have help wanted adds everywhere. Most companies, even fast food restaurants, have drug test requirements. Most will also randomly test current employees. I've seen people that were clean to start with, get canned after years on the job because of it.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Not to use political party names,but I rant a lot on FB on political pages about the minimum wage and living wage debates etc. I always say that people need to take initiative to get ahead rather than let the government do it for them. With such a shortage of workers in the fast food industry this is the time for a person to walk in and state their price and tell the manager that they will earn every penny of it. Instead people just pout and look for someone to fix their problems.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 PM

I work as a technician for Verizon,a good union job with over 23 years in. Last summer they were hiring "term" technicians. No experience needed,15 an hour plus benefits and the possiblity of being permanent in the future. They had a hard time filling the jobs. They had people coming in to take the test because the unemployment office sent them. It should take over an hour to do it but 90% of the class was done in 20 minutes. They were playing connect the dots with the answer sheets. As it is right now it takes 4 years to hit top pay which is currently $42 an hour plus benefits,tons of overtime,and a 401K (the new hires get a better 401K but not a pension like us). The people that they hired are a good bunch of smart,hard workers but for every one of them there are nine other guys out there on the unemployment line that are as dumb and lazy as they come. They prefer people with zero experience and zero training so that they can train you their way so it isn't even about needed to go to school. Half the company is minorities so it isn't about discrimination. It is a reflection of what our country has become.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:25 PM

Last week. a good friends 24 year old son, who is a heavy equipment operator, with a CDL, doing great at his job, ended up in intensive care. He started using cocaine, went to the dope dealers place to get some. The dope dealer asked him to do a line with him. Dealer got his cocaine and heroin mixed up. The kid did a big line of heroin instead of cocaine, passed out immediately. The meds brought him back from being dead with Narcon. He died again in the hospital and they got him back with another blast of the Narcon. He was a wreck for three days. He is now in a year long rehab program. His life as he knew it is over. All over some fkn dope.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 09-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanked 1,377 Times in 670 Posts

That's horrible Tony. Prayers for your friend's son and his family. Man, I never got the whole drugs thing, but it's rampant and there isn't an easy answer. I've always, always been against any kind of legalization, but what we're doing now isn't and hasn't been working for years. Maybe it's time for a change? I don't know, just throwing something out there.
John 10:30