Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Default I need help from Nova suspension experts

I have a 1972 Nova SS with F41 suspension, it is a small block/4-speed. I want to replace both front and rear springs to return it to the correct factory ride height.

Looking at all the photos of the fantastic Yenko Deuces on the site it appears that the front end sits just slightly higher then the rear. Is this the correct factory height or have the rear springs settled slightly to create that look.

My next question is what are the best springs to purchase to achieve that ride height. The original rear springs are 4 leaf.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,604 Times in 494 Posts
Default Re: I need help from Nova suspension experts

Correct look does have a slightly "nose up" stance...there are many sources for the coil and leaf springs. I would recommend contacting Wayne Bushey at National Nostalic Nova...they can help you make the right choice. He has helped us with many of our Novas...good luck.
www.nnnova.com

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM

Thanks Wilma. I was hoping that is what you would tell me, that stance is just what I want!

Don
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM

The F41 Suspension package is bars & shocks - not springs. So, the stock springs were 'computer selected' in 1970 based on the option combination for that particular car. A set of new, stock springs should give you the proper stance.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 PM

The F41 Suspension package is bars & shocks - not springs. So, the stock springs were 'computer selected' in 1970 based on the option combination for that particular car. A set of new, stock springs should give you the proper stance.

Thanks Marlin, Is there a difference between springs in a F41/F40 equipted car and a Nova with just standard suspension?

In other words comparing a F41/F40 equipted car and a Nova with standard suspension providing the option combination was the same it could be possible to have the same springs?

Don
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 AM

Don the Camaros and Novas had many similarities. Just a small tidbit.....the Camaros when new were also stanced upward slightly on the frontend.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Don,

Certainly talk to the folks at NNN. If you more a bit more on the challenge to find the right spring read on.

Take a look here and you can calculate the GM code and hence part number of the spring that will get you in the ball park for 72. F40 and F41 both used the HD Spring Code not the RPO at the bottom of the calculator. More years and engines are available on my site

1970 L48 Spring Calculator. and

1970 Spring Part number Identification Chart

All Nova springs were designed to be 11.09" when installed. The "computer selected" spring was just fine tuned to the weight of the car with all the particular options.

There were 27 front springs in 1970 not sure about 1972 (the AIM might list them). The differences are the wire diameter and the coil count needed to put the spring at 11.09" when the car was fully assembled with all options.

As example the shortest free height for the 345 rate springs was 14.97" and the tallest was 16.95". This is one of the reasons folks have a hard time with the generic 345 springs and body ride height. All 345 rated springs will do the job. The difference is the ride height you get. Aftermarket manufacturers (Moog etc) will get you close. But there are endless stories on the internet about ride height issues. You might just need to do a bit of trial and error with the spring height. Eaton will sell you an equivalent spring to come close the ride height you specify. They would not be able to always match the wire diameter and coil count that came on the car originally. However the spring should function fine.

Within reason, you could trim the generic springs to shorten the cut off length and lower the ride height. Alternatively you can install another higher or lower GM coded spring to get a higher or lower ride height. My spring calculators use the parts book weights to specify the spring required to hit the factory ride height for that weight.

The spec for GM part number is what you are looking to have. Installed Height @ XXXX lbs = 11.09"

If you are looking for the exact ride height, you are probably better starting with the GM part number replacements (i.e. one to match the part number from the calculator) and hope they are not too short(I have never used them). But even then you may need to trim the spring just like the Moog to get the correct ride height.

The springs sold by part number came on the scene several years ago. They should address the ride height problems found with the one size fits all generics. I do not recall who the manufacturer is for them.

No matter what spring you buy; you need to shoot for Installed Height of 11.09" @ for you weight.

does this help any?
Greg
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

Just a suggestion - go on-line @ Eaton Detroit Spring and leave a message (with all of your car details) with the "spring guru". He will get back with you in a few days and recommend a few springs (with explanation of the differences).

One of my cars had the correct stance after resto, but sagged about 1 1/2 inches after a few years. The "spring guru" really helped me out & avoided a lot of trial & error. I chose the heaviest spring on his recommended list & IMO the stance of the car is still perfect after 4 years.

The rear springs are a different story. Whenever I have had original springs re-arced to factory specs, the car sat too high. After a few cars I now know how much to add to the unloaded arc to get the desired change in loaded height.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 AM

Hey guys thanks for the help, I will make some calls and see what I can come up with!

Don
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM

I am/would be a little hesitant to change any "original" springs on my nova or camaro unless broken. Too many times I see the ride height to high. I would put a good pair of shocks on the front and if need be a pair of GM or a good set of air shocks on the back. Unless someone came out with the correct spring I would stay with what I got or buy good used. I have a 41,000 original mile 69 SS nova and it sits pretty level.