Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 AM

Default Re: 70 l89 NOVA?

he has no clue really and his exact words are "i dont care, i bought the engine for the heads for my other car"..he does know its an L78 after that he could care less..ive know the guy 10 years and he's always been straight and up front...i believe what he says..he justs wants to recoup some money...and believe me..it aint cheap..thats my concern..i actually said.."WOW,it has a w in the VIN for Nova" and he shrugged, and said it came from a Nova..so who knows...he's a car guy, and could care less about codes etc..he just enjoys his cars....and that is exactly how ya stumble onto odd stuff..

head number..
Old 10-12-2016, 04:02 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

Where is kwhizz?

I would also be interested in KurtS's opinion at least on the engine assy stamp.

Mark, what I was going to posit earlier is the possibility that this engine was built for a very late L89 Camaro (after they started putting C in front of the two letter designation), but since even the late Camaros apparently got codes CJM (auto) and CJJ (manual), I am guessing that isn't likely. HOWEVER, there were other mix ups during that time period. AND late 69 Camaros and early 70 Nova's shared a subframe, so F and X body stuff was mostly interchangeable up until intro of the 70 (what some guys call the 70 1/2) F body. So, just to be safe, I would take a jeweler's lupe and inspect the area down by the starter very carefully. If there is even a hint of an N stamped any where down there.... well, you know. The engine assy stamp could be legit and the Willow run partial added later.

Personally, I would like to see it confirmed as a true 70 Nova L89. Not sure what the engine block is really worth without a car though.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:22 AM

Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,144 Posts
Default 70 l89 NOVA?

'
All very interesting and seems a good possibility of being genuine?
Is the broaching consistent across the whole pass' side deck surface?
Again run the Vin through the NCRS service for delivering dealer info, more clues are what's needed and the result may lead to others etc.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 10-12-2016, 04:32 AM

yes the broaching goes all the way along both decks and are consistent and straight..first thing i looked at..i have pics, but really whats in already posted is relevant...the rest i have really ads nothing else to the conversation
Old 10-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Nobody mentioned the possible &quot;human element&quot; here, did the stamper grab a &quot;P&quot; instead of an &quot;O&quot;.? If the stamping blocks were lined up next to each other alphabetically, the P would be next to the O I would think. Far fetched.? maybe, but not impossible I would think. It was 40+ years ago
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM

Thanked 1,623 Times in 498 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRSully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody mentioned the possible &quot;human element&quot; here, did the stamper grab a &quot;P&quot; instead of an &quot;O&quot;.? If the stamping blocks were lined up next to each other alphabetically, the P would be next to the O I would think. Far fetched.? maybe, but not impossible I would think. It was 40+ years ago </div></div>

Sully has figured it out! August 8th, 1969 was a Friday and the engine guys were probably thinking about the weekend....problem solved! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is kwhizz?

I would also be interested in KurtS's opinion at least on the engine assy stamp.

Mark, what I was going to posit earlier is the possibility that this engine was built for a very late L89 Camaro (after they started putting C in front of the two letter designation), but since even the late Camaros apparently got codes CJM (auto) and CJJ (manual), I am guessing that isn't likely. HOWEVER, there were other mix ups during that time period. AND late 69 Camaros and early 70 Nova's shared a subframe, so F and X body stuff was mostly interchangeable up until intro of the 70 (what some guys call the 70 1/2) F body. So, just to be safe, I would take a jeweler's lupe and inspect the area down by the starter very carefully. If there is even a hint of an N stamped any where down there.... well, you know. The engine assy stamp could be legit and the Willow run partial added later.

Personally, I would like to see it confirmed as a true 70 Nova L89. Not sure what the engine block is really worth without a car though.
</div></div>

Is that even plausible since the the engine assembly plant stamped the engine code and the vehicle plant stamped the partial vin..??.. As for the stamp in question I think its legit but whether it was human error or not... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2016, 02:59 PM

Mark, you can always plant the seed - let him know you would be willing to supply another set of heads(whatever he cared for TFS brodix ect) in tyhe future so you could keep this one complete. I know I would!
90 Formula 350
Old 10-12-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanked 1,623 Times in 498 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zman1969</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, you can always plant the seed - let him know you would be willing to supply another set of heads(whatever he cared for TFS brodix ect) in tyhe future so you could keep this one complete. I know I would! </div></div>

The heads don't really matter...they can be sourced, and based on the info supplied the heads are important to the current owner...not worth rocking the boat IMO.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 10-12-2016, 05:02 PM

he wants the &quot;winters snow flake&quot;..the heads are in another chevy thats pretty cool..i'll just let him know i'm interested, but it isnt gonna happen..he did the frame and drive train resto and will never take it back apart, and neither would I..so i will just let him know the &quot;if ever&quot; speech and see whats what..