Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 03-08-2004, 04:44 PM

Default 70 Baldwin-Motion Nova

My 70 Nova has certification letter from Motion/Joel, as well as the Motion work order that Joel performed for Baldwin Chevrolet. It is a SS454 Phase III, M22, side exhaust, 4.88 gears, plus the associated Motion Hi-Perfermance accessories.

When I first saw this Nova I thought it to be a Motion. Having 9 other Motion cars gave me some idea what to look for. So you can understand my stress level during that few day period when the seller was trying to back out of the deal and re-market it. In reference to that, I offer my apology to the "truly innocent" guys, that were unintentionally offended. Likewise, I've received apologies off-line from others that "did interfer", and I appreciated that. There is no need to discuss it further, it's water under the bridge, so let’s please not re-hash it.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 73884-BMNov3.jpg 73883-BMNov2.jpg 73881-BMNov.jpg 73861-Nova-MotionDiag3.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-08-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: 70 Baldwin Motion Nova

How bout a picture Kevin?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

Kevin.. how about sharing MANY pictures of this car with us.. Awesome find man
Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

So Kevin, is this one of those situations where the seller could have paid Joel $1500 to verify the car and he probably would have been able to sell it for a lot more? I see some other posts about people trying to verify their B/M cars but are afraid to spend the $1500. I realize it's difficult to spend the money if it comes back not being a B/M car, but there really isn't any other way to verify a B/M car.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:24 PM

I have always been curious as to what type of paperwork Joel has on his cars..If I locate a '68 Camaro and it appears to have Motion items, how extensive is the paperwork? What should I expect from Joel if the car is legit?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

"There is no need to discuss it further, it's water under the bridge, so let’s please not re-hash it." You have brought it up so I guess it is being rehashed. What happened to it being a #'s matching 375 hp 396 ? I'm sure the kid is gonna be tickled to death that he sold a supposed Phase 3 Motion Nova for 9500.00.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I expect from Joel if the car is legit?

[/ QUOTE ] A bill for $1500 and either a pot of gold or lump of coal. What you got there Greg?
Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" I'm sure the kid is gonna be tickled to death that he sold a supposed Phase 3 Motion Nova for 9500.00.

[/ QUOTE ]--a PEPTO BISMOL moment
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 PM

Both the prior (3rd) owner and the kid (4th owner) suspected it was a Motion, but neither were willing to pay the fee. The kid bought it from the third owner as a Project 396/375 Nova.

Before looking at the car, I was told by him on the phone it had original drivetrain, and everything to totally restore the car. What I found was that it had a camaro rear, trans with different VIN on it, and a re-stamped VIN on the block. The Body did have the original 3/8 single fuel line telling me it was 375HP car from GM. Little or nothing was there to restore the car. I've already started by buying parts, all NOS sheetmetal (quarters were radiused 2-3" higher for tires), fenders, etc, etc, as the car needs everything. I believe I will have 6 figures in restoration costs when done. Still a bargain, but not as much as it appears after it is done.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:44 PM

Kevin,

Being somewhat naive on Motion cars (I'm researching a couple of cars now however..), how critical is the fact that the original Motion installed drivetrain is gone? Are crate engines what you look for when trying to find a correct engine? Would the engine have carried a LS6 engine suffix or a "CE" suffix? Do you then have to find correctly dated transmission/rear or were these itmes also replaced by Motion? Can you list some of the features you look for when documenting one of these cars? What is your opinion on the value of the Motion cars, especially in light of the fact they were really engine conversions and speed shop stuff, as opposed to a COPO order? Any thoughts on the number of '68 Motion cars..both Camaro and Corvette?

Thanks,

Gregory