Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-30-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: 1969 Yenko Nova

[ QUOTE ]
Why have the lists if they aren't going to be maintained and accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to start somewhere don't you? When info is discovered I'm sure the list will be updated.....Heck,if the numbers were not listed here many of you would have never seen them.....This is not a easy thing to compile.With all the time and energy spent in the first place it's often a wonder why people are still unhappy with the info that is spoon fed to them....

Steve
Old 11-30-2006, 05:55 PM

Yenko Sportcar Conversions didn't order any cars from Chevrolet. Yenko Chevrolet bought the cars and then transferred them over to SYC for conversion.

The car had a file with SYC meaning it had work done. Being on the list meant that Yenko took responsibility of the warranty on the car, not GM.

From what I've heard about the 37 Novas on the list, only one has a 427 notation next to it, so you can't just say since it doesn't say 427 that it's a 396. Then you'd be claiming that the other 36 weren't converted.

So why would Yenko take responsibility of this car's warranty when it is a plain jane '69 L78 Nova?

If the car wasn't converted, they would have simply moved the car back over to the regular dealer lot and the car wouldn't have been put on the SYC list.

The cars were put on the SYC list when they were delivered to the customer or transferred to the purchasing dealer showing the selling price, vin, color, trans, and extra notations.

The only reason I can think of is that they did convert it to a 427 or 454 (depending on the delivery date), and then sell it less stripes and badges so their employee can get it insured and race it in the 396 class without anyone at the track knowing it was touched. Make the paperwork out saying it's a 396 for his insurance company and financing.

Why would an employee of his buy a 396 L78 Nova to race when they had 427 Camaros and 427 Novas which were a lot faster?

Yenko was in business to sell cars and make money, he wasn't doing this hoping one day these cars would be that valuable.

As I've heard from many a dealer:

"What's it gonna take to sell you this car today?"

My father built and raced the funny cars for Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago (1964-1975). It was common for them to make "special cars" for a customers and make them look stock for street and drag racing.

My father was also a good friend of Dick Harrell and was on the starting line in his own funny car when Dick blew the front tire, hit a post and was killed in Toronto.

Again, just my opinions

William Dyer
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

"Well it seems our car was on that list but it did have an engine replaced under warranty."...from the orig owner family.

From William ...."The only reason I can think of is that they did convert it to a 427 or 454 (depending on the delivery date), and then sell it less stripes and badges so their employee can get it insured and race it in the 396 class without anyone at the track knowing it was touched. Make the paperwork out saying it's a 396 for his insurance company and financing."
William...The orig owner is telling you it was a 396 and it even got replaced under warranty yet you seem to think he is trying to hide it being a 427 for some reason. The owner has been saying this for at least 4 years but you think he is making it up ? Don't you think maybe they transfered them on paper to SYC but since sales were very slow maybe they just got sold off the Yenko Chevrolet lot ? As 396's ? Bone stock ? Maybe it was still on the SYC paperwork list when sold but the guy writing up the sales contract had Yenko Chevrolet paperwork to work with so that is what he used. Both businesses were apparently in the same place and the file from Warren shows it was done on Yenko Chevrolet paperwork.

Jeff H ...."I have to say that it doesn't make sense to maintain a list that isn't accurate"

Read the list...The main thing we list are the vins. We make no claims to them being 427 cars as some would like you to think we are doing. Are you trying to say our vin list is not accurate ?
We have not listed them as 427's because we don't know. Ed C screwed up and certified it as a 427. It is apparent from the orig owner it was not so now Ed is probably not sleeping well because someone is out alot of money and they probably relied on his certificate. I'm guessing in court he would be asked to show what made him think it was a 427 enough for him to certify it.
One of the previous owners or one of his affiliates knew it was not a 427 4 years ago and kept quiet probably so they could unload the car at a 427 price instead of a 396 price. I suspect this will all get sorted out by attorneys. In theory the orig owner could be making all this up but I doubt it and I would still like to see one document proving the car was indeed made a 427.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 PM

I got a question. The gibb cars had 90 day warranty when normal cars had a 5yr/50,000 mile warranty. Does anybody know what the 67,68 Yenko camaros & 69 yenko nova's have??
Old 11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
I got a question. The gibb cars had 90 day warranty when normal cars had a 5yr/50,000 mile warranty. Does anybody know what the 67,68 Yenko camaros & 69 yenko nova's have??

[/ QUOTE ]

The only info I have regarding the warranty on the '69 Y-Novas is on K.Suydam's car, and it describes the car as a 427 with a 90 day warranty. As of right now, it's the only car that I'm aware of with something in writing from Yenko that says the car has a 427. It is important to note that the car was not sold from Yenko, but rather from Stauffer Chev. in Scranton. The non-converted Novas so far appear to be sold from Yenko.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:18 PM

This makes sense to put the cars in a Corp. Away from Yenko for liab. & warranty problems.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM

Our COPO Chevelles got the 5-50 warranty like any other Chevy. I assume the L88 Vettes and ZL1 Camaros got the same treatment. GM probably gave the 90 day warranty on any new engine that was installed. Just guessing. I don't think that Ford or Chrysler gave much of a warranty on their top of the line muscle cars.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM

just from a joe blow that knows next to nothing on these cars.

wasn't the orginal owner an employee/friend of yenko, could that be the reason for the lower selling price.

or maybe the car was on the list due to some other mod, maybe gears,or shifter,tuning ???

are there anyone who worked for yenko that might shed light on the selling process.

another thought, the 427 cars were faster, and this car was raced when new, how fast was it 396 fast 0r 427 fast.

either way it's a buetiful car

just my $.02
71 malibu (basket case)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 PM

Again Marlin I have no specific interest in "the list"
I was under the assumption the list was just for special cars..i.e. SYC 427 Nova's in the case or maybe special 396 that had be modified. With the info from the orig owner family saying for sure it was just a 396 on the lot with nothing done why would it make a list ? I'm not saying you or yenko.net put it there just that it seems it should'nt be there unless every 396 Nova yenko sold is on this list.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
plain jane '69 L78 Nova?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take one please!

Could'nt resist!

Rich