Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts
Default Re: So who is gonna buy a NEW Camaro?

The cool thing about the new Chevys is the LS engines. At SEMA there GM had a Denali sitting there with a Supercharged LS engine and it sat low enough on the engine it looked like it would fit on just about anything with a LS engine in it. Looks to me it will be easy to have a 600 plus hp new Camaro once all these cool parts get out there. And there is a ton of aftermarket stuff being built for LS engines... They are killer engines that hold up well and get good gas mileage.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 AM

I'm with Charlie here. If I want a 69 Camaro to be my everyday driver I would build a Restomod.

I hope that todays youth would want to own one and do the mods like we did. The LS engines give them something GM to hop up besides imports and hopefully make a customer for life. I didn't fall in love with Camaros, Chevelles, Shelby's or Cudas when I was 40, I fell in love with them when I was 14. My son is 17 and when we went looking for a car for him last year we didn't visit or consider any GM product. We looked at several imports and ended up with a Mustang. I love that GT Mustang commercial where the father and son do a burnout then stop and say how fun it was and do another. My son and his car buddies can't wait for the new Camaro and are already talking about what engines will be available. I can't wait to take him down to the Chevy dealership and get him his own GM performance catalog.

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 12-01-2006, 04:11 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

So what you're both saying is...What is old is new again. We will have come full circle.

When I am at Pavillions...I go over to the import area and check out all the cars there...after all, these kids are doing exactly what we did when we were younger...just with different engines and equipment.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 PM

About the time the "new" camaro comes out will be when my daughter will be driving so I am very interested in looking at it for my next car. However, I will not buy within the first year if it is anything like the prices of Mustangs in the first year with sticker and higher price tag take it or leave it mentality.

Chevrolet will have to price it right in line with the Mustang to be competive and advertise it.

While I have not seen the concept cars in person, one thing is for sure they will be messaging the final production car considerably over what we see now. Can't see 22" wheels on V6 model at 20k.

The Hot Rod magazine article had me pretty excited with questions to readers about what they wanted in new camaro. I hope Chevy stays true to 1969 in terms of offering SS, RS, & Z28. If so make mine a SS/RS with 400hp LS motor.

Enough ranting.

Todd
Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 PM

69lm1....What did your Mustang cost and what did the SRT cost. Not even close on HP
Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 PM

From a inside source.. 6 cyl and SS will be amoung the first then the Hi-Po version will be the Z28 because of so many other models using the SS name... No covert at first either... I personally like the car, on another note they are currently selling a real nice die-cast of the concept in silver or red..
02 SS
02 SS #2
Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 AM

I am going to wait until grandpa sells his new caddy, the camaro looks like the same person made it to me. it looks like its all made of plastic, but you know it will grow on you after its out for a while. The challenger is a much better looking car at first glance, i think they will sell very well, That car i may buy

raiv 69 judge, ra3 70 judge, 71 judge,74 SD trans am,71 cudas, 67 189 Corvette roadster, Quicksilver 68 HURST
z-10 396 camaro, 69 HEMIBEE
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 AM

It does not look retro, looks like it was designed by Cadillac. The car is ugly and I say Chevrolet will put the LS7 in it, to try and salvage the project.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It does not look retro, looks like it was designed by Cadillac. The car is ugly and I say Chevrolet will put the LS7 in it, to try and salvage the project.

[/ QUOTE ]

give that man a Cigar....retro is fine with me, but this current rendering just does not pop, I have a open mind but this one dont even grow on ya.... Mopar in the lead for now.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 AM

One of our club members took out the New vette for a test drive Came back to the dealership minis the top That one came off easy she said it just blew off on the expressway Love to know what the engineering
Thought went in to it As for The Grand Cherokee SRT it is as arrow dramatic as a
Heavy brick Show what brute H/p can do
I know I am old school There is nothing finer that the 60s muscle cars
Of all the vettes today I still love the C-2 s the best
Yea I know the new ones handle better and are fast but I just don’t get excited as I do with the older ones.
The new Challenger is the first time I seem to interest me The only problem is I was at the Dealership today to get some parts Talked to the owner about the Challenger and he was told by DC that the
Challenger is a concept car and will most likely never be built for production