Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,843 Times in 749 Posts
Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

Restamps are part of the hobby at this point, they are prevalent in the entire Chevrolet line of classic cars. To restamp an engine for a 435 horse '67 is one thing, but to create a '67 435 horse car out of a Corvette that came with a lesser engine is scary. I know that the Corvette hobby is pretty tolerant of a restamp of an engine that was originally optioned in a car, but made up cars are another story.
I'll need to visit your facility on one of my trips to Chicago. You live in a beautiful part of the State.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 PM

If only Chevy had the paperwork ala PHS, one can dream
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 PM

The cars are probably saying " just drive me, hard or soft, keep me maintained, polish me once in a while, show me off sometimes, and take me to see my other car likes once in a while, but these humans with their egos and greed just take all of the fun out of it."
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cars are probably saying " just drive me, hard or soft, keep me maintained, polish me once in a while, show me off sometimes, and take me to see my other car likes once in a while, but these humans with their egos and greed just take all of the fun out of it."

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 AM

I happen to believe that NCRS IS, IS, IS, IS responsible for the state of the art regarding restamped engines. Their judging guidelines require a block to "appear" original for full credit. Full credit means a "top" award, and accordingly an increased value of the car. There's a BIG difference between an original car and one that "appears" original.
This practice started with Corvettes; not Camaros, Chevelles, COPOs, Impalas, Fords, Mopars or any other car. It would have happened sooner or later of course for other marques, but it was the Corvette "hobby" that spawned it.

Let's have a national judging competition for fake Mona Lisas. Call in all the art experts and have them judge everyone's "reproductions". If nothing can be observed that is any different than the original, then they all get a perfect score, are deserving of the same credit as the original and are worth a LOT more money. Afterall, they've been signed off to be as (or as good as) an original. (what's the difference in that judging venue?)

And that's the WHOLE problem. There is NO difference between a clone that earns an NCRS TOP FLIGHT award and an original car that earns an NCRS TOP FLIGHT award!. Both earned the same points.......the same award......the same stature......and the same increased value......

Verne
Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,169 Times in 1,337 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I happen to believe that NCRS IS, IS, IS, IS responsible for the state of the art regarding restamped engines. Their judging guidelines require a block to "appear" original for full credit. Full credit means a "top" award, and accordingly an increased value of the car. There's a BIG difference between an original car and one that "appears" original.
This practice started with Corvettes; not Camaros, Chevelles, COPOs, Impalas, Fords, Mopars or any other car. It would have happened sooner or later of course for other marques, but it was the Corvette "hobby" that spawned it.

Let's have a national judging competition for fake Mona Lisas. Call in all the art experts and have them judge everyone's "reproductions". If nothing can be observed that is any different than the original, then they all get a perfect score, are deserving of the same credit as the original and are worth a LOT more money. Afterall, they've been signed off to be as (or as good as) an original. (what's the difference in that judging venue?)

And that's the WHOLE problem. There is NO difference between a clone that earns an NCRS TOP FLIGHT award and an original car that earns an NCRS TOP FLIGHT award!. Both earned the same points.......the same award......the same stature......and the same increased value......

Verne

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not intimately familiar with NCRS standards, but if your interpretation is accurate...you nailed it Verne.

BTW while we are on the subject, the term restoration drivetrain really torques me. I am not sure of the roots (I think I know who coined it), but it means restamp, fake, non original, but sounds more pleasant.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM

I dont think that one can blame the vette guys for the re-stamps of the Camaros. Chevelles,etc....The fact that they were first is a simple matter of economics. They were the first cars to be worth the effort ($$$) to obtain a restamped motor. The Camaros, Chevelles,etc. were just waiting for the values to go up.

At the Camaro Nationals in Carlisle, can a Camaro get a top award in the judging competition if the judges cannot tell it is a restamp?? If the restamp looks perfect??I suspect very few people admit that their motor is restamped even if they knew!!! So what other method is there for the judges?? If I put used or NOS parts on my car that are absolutely correct, I would not expect my car to be marked down...whether it is the block, heads, air cleaner or any other part...whether it is the original born-with parts or not!!

I have to stick up for the Vette guys here!! jmo
Old 01-22-2009, 03:54 PM

It was human nature that spawned it; not the NCRS, they just addressed the inevidible. There will always be people who want their car as close to new as possible, that includes everything from chalk marks to original appearing motors. If ANY componant of car does not appear original it can't receive full credit.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Yea, you sure can't blame the Corvette guys that there are more BE rears today than were ever made.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM

It was funny when a dealer at Barratt said to me: Why would you bring that car here without stamping the motor before you bring it here !! I was laughing pretty hard inside nowing this guy sells quite a bit at auctions...

I look at his cars a little different !!