Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Where Are The Yenko VIN's?

I'm a member & contributor of many different web forums and this is the only site that I frequent where a yearly contribution of at least $25.00 is "suggested" & "appreciated". Well, I pay this yearly fee to be a member of the Yenko Sportcar Club and I always assumed that money went towards the research, preservation and sharing of knowledge such as the Yenko VIN # list. Now they are gone and I've heard lots of nasty rumors why. Apparently I wasn't smart enought to print them up on hardcopy because I always thought they'd be available to members. I, and many other members, always had hopes of finding an old '67-68 Camaro race car and discovering Yenko "Gold". Now the list is gone and it seems obvious that with the amount of '67 Yenko's that have surfaced recently that someone, somewhere, has gotten resourceful and smart enough to run VIN checks through every state and find ALL the missing cars. Just like what was probably done with the 1969 ZL-1 Camaro list back in the '80's. The VIN's were listed on here for such a long time that pulling them now is the equivalent of closing the fence gate after every horse has escaped. It's just a little late now. My question is if the Yenko VIN's are still available to members that might pay a higher yearly due than just the $25.00 amount. I live in St. Louis, which had an abnormally high rate of Yenkos and Dick Harrell cars and I don't want to have to send countless PM requests for individual VIN checks over and over. Like I said earlier, there's lots of nasty rumors circulating, friendships being strained, and somebody needs to clear the air on what's really going on. Thanks.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanked 1,762 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: Where Are The Yenko VIN's?

E-mail sent.

Jake

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,984 Posts

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat...true#Post445810

~ Pete
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Another website has some Yenko lists posted that you can still view. They don't exactly match the ones that were here, but better than nothing and they are free to access.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM

....I sent you a PM
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Mark,
Yes, there is a lot going on 'behind the scenes' that is compromising what true 'hobbyists' subscribe to.

For a sample of the 'real deal', here is a link to a documented '67 Yenko, converted by Dick Harrell, which recently received a complete rotisserie restoration. I know the car well and had a hand in the purchase and restoration. It has some 'fun' conversion pieces on it and is as nice as any out there.

'67 Yenko

"...at this point in my life, every day is a Saturday".
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Thank you to all the true hobbyist's that took the time to send me lists of the Yenko VIN's. From one true enthusiast to another, it is very much appreciated. You know......it makes me wonder how Don Yenko would have handled these situations if he were alive today and if he would have kept the VIN list to himself or if he would have released them to the public. I think back to when the late, legendary Vince Piggins himself contacted Doug Marion of Super Chevy Magazine in the very early Eighties with the 1969 ZL-1 Camaro VIN# list and had them publish the VIN#'s to all sixty-nine cars for enthusiasts worldwide to track down and preserve these cars. Pete McCarthy is well known, respected and famous in the Pontiac world for the immense amount of time and work in sifting through hundreds of thousands of Shipping Manifests on Microfiche (remember that?) and publishing the VIN#'s of virtually EVERY 1962 & 1963 Super Duty 421 and 389 Pontiacs. To anybody that is a true Pontiac fan......his two books are absolutely essential. Most recently Darrell Davis stepped up and published the VIN#'s of all the 1962-64 Max Wedge cars and 1964-65 Race Hemis with information recently obtained through Chrysler Corp. I, and many others, didn't even know that information even existed but it's great to know that it was shared in the interest of finding "lost" cars. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me and many others that these Yenko Camaros have become so valuble that now the VIN# list is only available to select few. I can't help but think that Don Yenko would have been proud of his creations and shared them with the world. I'm done with this now.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Six years ago, myself, Marlin Spotts and Brian Henderson decided to combine all of our Yenko VIN information and post on Yenko.net for all to see, and I might add, share. Much of the info never seen before, for sure 50+ ’67 Yenko Camaro numbers. We could have kept the numbers private for ‘a select few” but we did not. Instead, not only did we put the numbers up for any and everyone to access for free, when contacted to verify info, we did this as well.

We have never turned anyone down wanting to verify a number, nor charged a fee.

Now this crap, basically saying we are not “true hobbyists”. And folks wonder why we get a little edgy at times, and why we decided to take a break from the "numbers game".
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM

What are you talking about Johnson? I stand by Tom's statement, as well as my own reputation in this hobby - find me one person who would say that I held back instead of help out!

These lists have been out there for 6 years - get that, 6 years!!! You are way off base by making assumptions as to why they were taken down.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Mark, I love how you talk about the history of the cars from St. Louis area. You had two pictures of the two 67 Yenko's you stated they were sold thru Barford Chevy. When I explained that neither one was sold by Barford because I knew both cars. You blasted me for being on your a$$. Most the stuff you have put up here didn't make sense. If I lived in that area I would be talking to the people in that area. Have you taked to Kirkendaule or Rich Thomas or Gene Rains son?? I have!!! and THAT'S how you learn about them!!