Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-22-2015, 06:46 PM

Default Can I just swap the case on my Muncie?

Have the original numbers wide ratio in my W30 but have developed a leak at the countershaft. Thought a solution would be to just buy one of the new cases available and keep the numbers case instead of shipping the original to be machined for a bushing.

Is this a DIY project, or is there a lot of setup internally?

This trans was rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago. Not very well apparently......

Thanks,

Joe
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Can I just swap the case on my Muncie?

if youve never built one..it can be an overwhelming task..lots can go wrong etc. but you can get a servoce manual and get thru it

its a W30...it deserves to be done the right way in my opinion...you can tell the new cases are different from across the street...if it where mine..i look to crash here on the site, or maybe 4 speeds by darrel in Nebraska or Iowa and get it done right and get a warranty on the work...

or buy one ready to go, and keep the numbers piece with the car..4 speed W30s arent easy to get..so anything you do to it can only help...
Old 06-24-2015, 02:43 AM

Thanks marxjunk, I appreciate the numbers thing and I'd probably get the oringal case bushed and keep it for someday.

I've had this car for a while and I'm done with the trophy collecting and just want to drive the car without leaks.

Finally got the pinion seal right (after four attempts)..........

The Parts Place is advertising new GM castings so I thought if I could just swap internals I'd do it myself.

If it takes a lot of setup, I have a shop that'll do it. Haven't found anyone local to do the milling and bushing and I'm even more afraid to send my numbers housing to Detroit in UPS.

I'm for sure not shipping the whole thing someplace to get rebuilt yet again.....
Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 AM

its not a big..huge project if youve done it once..but never doing it..its a little difficult..its the tools to do the job right actually thats the hard part..the counter gear gets needle bearings and you have to get it just right because the pin slides thru it, theres a tool GM made for it and keeping those in the right spot and in order is the hardest part..freezing some old time axle grease helps...but ive done it and at times, ive wanted to throw the assy thru the wall.

the mid plate is a pressed deal..people try to beat on it and it snaps...

if you can follow an exploded view diagram you can do it...i have a learning disability..i think its dyslexia or ADD or stubborn...and i get lost on those type of diagrams with 100s of pieces.

I saw somewhere, someone sells a DVD and its reasonably priced..maybe buy the DVD..watch it a time or two, and see if you can do it..i can come up with an exploded view..the GTO retoration book has that..i can post it, if i can find it.

ive never seen the parts place cases, and if its like the rest of their stuff, its hit or miss if its any good..and they will not stand behind their product..a google will turn up 1000s of post backing that up.

theres a few "quick" temporary fixs..it involves some epoxy or silicone...as long as it isnt sliding out our moving sideways..just clean it and schmoo some stuff on it..just dont do anything irreversible., once its bolted against the bell it can go anywhere...and if youre just trying to stop the leak, ive done it a few times..
Old 06-24-2015, 01:33 PM

What I do on every one is Lock Tite it on install. If it is a snug fit Anaerobic or Lock tite will do it.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L78steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I do on every one is Lock Tite it on install. If it is a snug fit Anaerobic or Lock tite will do it. </div></div>
Agree. Seems many Muncie cases leak no matter how good the rebuild. Also consider a thin gasket between the transmission and bell housing.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'll just have the shop I'm working with do it.

It was rebuilt several years ago back in Ohio. It had a very small leak from day one. Didn't like the shop, so I never took it back, and the leak was so small it didn't bother me.

Anyway, the shop I work with here in AZ fixed a rear pinion seal leak (on a freshly rebuilt rear end...) and I asked them to take a look at the tranny since it was getting worse. They put some sort of sealant on there but said it wouldn't last very long and that the countershaft hole is out of round. Well it didn't last two drives and now is leaking enough to puddle on the floor.

Can't believe I'll basically have to do another rebuild to fix this stupid leak. Clearly GM didn't figure these things would be around this long.......

Oh well.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,146 Times in 669 Posts

Common problem with Muncies that have seen hard use. Camaro Hi-Performance can repair the case with a steel bushing.

http://z28camaro.com/wp/