Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar Features

Old 09-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Default September '05 Feature Car

<p align="center"><font size="6" color="#000000">September 2005 Feature Car:</font></p><p align="center"><font size="5" color="#000000">Dave Winkler's 1969 COPO Camaro</font></p><p align="center"><font color="#000000"><span style="background-color: #000000"></span></font></p><table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td align="middle" width="100%"><p align="center"><font size="4" color="#000000">SPECS:</font></p></td></tr></tbody></table><table borderColor="#000000" height="150" width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Engine (factory):</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">L-72 427ci/425hp</font></td></tr> <tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Trans (factory):</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">4-speed</font></td></tr> <tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Rear (factory):</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">4.10 posi</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Selling Dealer:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Reedman Chevrolet</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Exterior color:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Dover White</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Interior color:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Green</font></td></tr></tbody></table>

<font color="#000000">"1. William"Billy"Martell of Levittown, Pennsylvania was the first owner of This COPO Camaro. He worked in a Steel Mill and At the time of Purchase, he was 24 years old and recently Married. Both He and his Brother Doug Martell were well known in the Bucks County area for their "Street Racing" Prowess. They had an extremely fast 1955 Chevy with a Worked Big Block Chevy engine powering it. Since Married life does not mix well with a Race Car for Transportation, "Billy" and his Wife, "Peggy" Buy a Brand New 1969 Chevelle SS powered by a 396/325hp engine with A/C. Approximately 4 weeks later, Billy Receives a Phone Call from his friend, Charles"Chuck"Schmuckler, an Employee of "Reedman Chevrolet", in Langhorne, Pennsylvania. "Chuck" worked in the Parts department and is a Friend Of Billy Martell and his Brother Doug. He is also an avid Hot Rodder like the Martell Brothers. Chuck informs Billy that Four "427" Camaro's had arrived at Reedman Chevrolet. Billy Grabs his good Friend George Coley and together they make the short drive to Reedman to check out the Camaro's. Billy fell for the Dover White COPO, as it had some nice options, which included an Endura Bumper, AM/FM Radio, Rally Wheels, and Tinted Glass. (Most COPO Cars had Plain Steel Wheels, with "Dog Dish" Hub Caps) George Coley recalls that within two hours, the deal was done. Sticker price on the Car was $3806.00 and was non negotiable. The Chevelle SS was Traded in and out they Drove with the Dover White "L72"427/425hp Powered COPO Camaro! Like most other Performance Cars of that era, The 2nd Day of Ownership included a Trip to "Langhorne Speed shop". Off Came the Exhaust Manifolds, The Smog Pump, and the Chambered Exhaust system. On went a Set of "Hooker" Super Comp Headers, True Dual exhaust, Stewart Warner "Greenline" Gauges, and a set of Lakewood "Traction Bars". According to George Coley, The Next Four Weekends of Street Racing proved Fatal for all who Challenged Billy Martell in his "Sleeper" Camaro, as The Car paid for itself in that amount of time. The desire to Go faster actually "Saved" The Original L72 427 Engine from destruction. Billy had a 427/435hp Corvette engine that was all hopped up and swapped that into the Camaro! (The Original Engine was put aside in storage). When the car was 3-4 months old, the right axle "snapped". The Wheel came out and caused slight damage to the Lower right quarter panel which was professionally repaired, says Doug Martell. The only other known damage to the body was caused by "Peggy Martell". She opened the Driver's door into a Pole, causing some damage in the front area of the door. It to was repaired correctly. Doug actually took the broken Axle to his work and under close examination it was determined to have broken due to "Shivers". (A crystalization in the Metal that forms while it is curing, creating a weakness.) Chevrolet would not warranty the Part so they put another Axle in themselves and Back to the Road he returned. The White Camaro had developed such a Reputation in the Area, that Billy was unable to get anyone to Race him. So He did the logical Move. He Painted the Car Green to match the interior. Unfortunately, the 12 Bolt Posi Rear was not handling the Power well at all. It broke yet another axle. Billy removed the Rear and got a Modified "Dana" Rear with 5:13 gears and put that in the Car. George Coley Recalls that the Car was running low 11's at 122mph! At some point, the worked 427/435 Engine Throws a Rod through the Oil Pan at Englishtown Raceway. Billy reinstalls the original L72 427/425hp Engine. As Time went by and the gas crunch hit hard, these cars were no longer desirable or Practical. Their values dropped to an all time low. Billy's life was changing and his needs for the Camaro were less and less. He decided in 1975 to sell the Car to his Friend "Brian Korcoran", another Local Hot Rodder.

2. Brian Corcoran becomes the Second Owner of the 1969 "COPO" Camaro. He also is a friend of George Coley and remains in contact with him to this day. Brian Raced the Camaro at Englishtown and Maple Grove Raceway for several Years. He removed the L72 Engine and had Local Drag Racer's and Engine Builders, "Dunn and Grasso", Beef it up with 12:1 Pistons and a ZL-1 Cam. Brian took the Heads to "Brandywine Cylinder Heads", where they were treated to a "Port and Polish" and a three-angle valve job. Standard procedure at Brandywine Cylinder Heads is to "Stamp" the Clients Name into the Heads so they do not get mixed up while in for service. The Name Corcoran remains visible to this day down by the Base of the Cylinder Heads in the front of the Engine. Brian also was a customer of "Langhorne Speed Shop" and is still remembered by Barry Ferris, the Speed Shop's Long time owner. He added a Drive Shaft Safety Loop and an Electronic Fuel Pump to the Car. George Coley recalls Racing with Brian for several Years and then the Car started to get less and less use. At one point in time, the Original M-21 4 Speed Transmission can no longer take the Pressure and Blows. Instead of Rebuilding the M-21, He finds a Much Stronger, M-22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Speed Transmission that can handle the Torque and Horsepower put out by these Powerful Engines. It remains in the Car to this very Day and shifts flawlessly. In the Early 1980's along comes another Local who is fascinated by the COPO Camaro. His Name is Daniel Yau. Believed to be Japanese, He was referred to as "The Hawaiian". Yau Purchases the Car from Corcoran.

3. Daniel Yau lived in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania. He recognized that this was no ordinary Camaro. it was now Fifteen Years old and had reached "Classic Car" Status in Pennsylvania. Yau saw that the Car had never been wrecked, or Had the Wheel wells "Tubbed Out" for Slicks. The Body was in amazingly good condition and the interior mint! Considered A "perfect" Candidate, Yau wanted to return the Car to as close to stock as he could. He went to Langhorne Speed Shop and bought a 12 Bolt Posi Rear from Barry Ferris. Doug Martell recalls that unfortunately for Yau, He was no Mechanic. His desires to restore the car were not equaled by his financial abilities. John DiGiallorenzo hears of this Car now sitting at a gas station in Philadelphia, and goes up to have a Look. "John D" as he is known, is a Master Mechanic and heavily involved with The Drag Racing Scene. in February of 1987, He makes a Deal with Yau and Buys the COPO Camaro.

4. John Digiallorenzo a.k.a. "John D.", of Drexel Hill Pennsylvania, is by all accounts, a Gruff individual. He is a Master Mechanic and is very good at what he does. And He is also a Perfectionist. John also Recognized the Potential in the Car and joins the "International Camaro Club". He sent them the information from the Trim Tag and the Casting Codes on the Engine and the VIN numbers as well. They replied with all the knowledge they could provide and encourage his Restoration goals. He Removed the Engine and Transmission from the Car. He took it to an Engine Builder In Delaware County Pennsylvania who was known by the name of, "Radar". He built race engines for the fastest cars in the eighties. Many National Record Holder's all Had "Radar Equipped" Painted on them. Upon inspection, Radar realized that the Job performed by "Dunn &amp; Grasso" was holding up fine. The Bore remains Standard, even today! He freshened up the Heads and Resealed the Engine. Meanwhile, John D. Had the Body stripped to Bare Metal and Repainted to the original Color of "Dover White". The Engine Compartment was also Painted Black and the undercarriage as well. John D. Pulled the 12 Bolt Rear apart and installed 4:88 Gears with Moroso Clutch Packs. He also adds an MSD Distributor and MSD Box with a Mallory High Voltage Super Coil. For Originality Sake, He leaves the Factory Stock, Vacuum Secondary Holley 780 Carburetor on top of the Stock Intake Manifold. At this point in time, John D. joins "Delaware Valley Camaro Club" and becomes "Vice-President". They start to attend "I.C.C." shows in the Poconos, New Jersey, and Maryland. The Car was also displayed and Judged at "Vettefest" held at the Philadelphia Civic Center in 1989. It earned a "Bronze Spinner" Award, as it was considered to be 86% Original due to the performance modifications. But it was at this Show that an interesting meeting occurred. A Show observer called John D. over to him and said that he remembered this Car very well. He urged him to call His friend as He would be amazed at the condition it was in and would love to know it's whereabouts. John D. Took the Name and Number. He Called the Man and spoke for a Good while about the Car's History. The Man he called was none other than, George Coley! The COPO Camaro toured with a Hand painted Show sign describing the car and it's attributes. The sign is shown in Old I.C.C. Newsletters with the Car at various Events. It was at one of these Show's Held in Westminster, Maryland that "John R. Hooper" took great interest in John D's COPO Camaro. He is recognized by many in the Industry to actually be the First "CAMARO" Historian. He was in the process of writing his Very Famous Book, "The 1969 Camaro Reference Guide A-Z". With John D.'s Permission, John R. Hooper spent Five Hours Examining the Car. Photographs and Notes were taken in Great Detail to authenticate the fact that this truly was an original C.O.P.O. Camaro. Hooper's Book contains some knowledge gathered by another well known and respected Camaro Expert, "Ed Cunneen". He is in charge of the "COPO Connection" and keeps track of any and all COPO Cars as they are discovered. He contacts John D. and they have a conversation about the Car. Ed tells John that this Particular COPO is the only Dover White Car with Dark Green Interior. For a Fee, The COPO Connection will investigate the History of your Car and authenticate it once it is proven to be a "TRUE COPO" Car. John D. thanked Ed Cunneen for his offer to Verify his Car, but saw no sense in spending money for a piece of paper that tells him what he already knows about his car! John R. Hooper winds up using Several Pictures of the Car in His Book. It is shown in Full Color on the Back Cover. It also is used showing the Gauges and their Housing as an example of "Yenko" gauges, (Even though they were Purchased new at "Langhorne Speed Shop" by Billy Martell, they are the Exact same "Stewart Warner Greenline Gauges" that Don Yenko put in his Cars) He also shows a Picture of the of the Car in Black and White from the Rear. John had a Personalized License Plate on the Car that Read, "69 COPO"! Both "John D." and the Car are mentioned by Name on that page. John R. Hooper at that time had a "First Generation Camaro" Parts Company called,"US MUSCLE". He used John D.'s COPO Car for the Cover of their 1991 Parts Catalog. the car is also shown on the inside Cover and John D. is again mentioned by name. John D. was very proud of His accomplishments with the C.O.P.O. Camaro and only ever towed it to Shows. It was seldom driven on the Street. in 1994, John D. "Retired" the COPO Camaro to the Garage as he had completed his "Blown Small Block Chevy" Powered 1926 Model T Street Rod. Being a Mechanic, John D. still Maintained the Car with a Ride every now and then and treated it to some Fresh Racing Gas. but as with any Car of this Magnitude, people would try to Contact John about Buying the COPO. As I have already Mentioned, John is a Bit Gruff and would Run them all off. As Far as He was concerned, "When I Die, My Wife can Sell the Car"! Now this is where I enter the Story.

5. David Winkler, of Newtown Square Pennsylvania. My Father had worked in the Auto Body industry from the time he was 12 years old. When I was born in 1963, he had his own Body Shop in Media Pennsylvania. I grew up in Body Shops. in 1967, he lost his lease and started to Manage Body Shops for Big Car Dealerships. I of course spent many hours sitting out in the lot behind the wheel of Smashed cars dreaming that I was Driving. As my Love of Cars grew, I learned everything I could about them. My skills with a wrench and screwdriver were honed early on in life. But ultimately My Natural abilities would take me in the Direction of my Chosen Profession, the Art of "Tattoo". I have been quite successful with this Trade as I quickly Developed a Good Reputation while The Tattoo Industry started to gain widespread public acceptance. I have Tattooed Many Different People from all Walks of Life. From Devil Worshiper's to Catholic Priest's, Criminal's to Judge's and yes even "Celebrities". In 2000, My Studio became very popular with the Philadelphia Eagle's Football team. Player's would come there for Tattoo's or just as a place to hang out as no one would really bother them. after all, they are really just normal people with high profile jobs, working in a Town they know nothing about. for most it is actually the first time they were living on their own. It was During the N.F.L.'s 2002 Season when One of the Eagles, "John Welbourn" asked me to help him locate a C.O.P.O. Camaro. Truth be told, I am a Ford and Shelby Guy. I knew about the Yenko Camaro's but never heard of the C.O.P.O. Camaro. Welbourn loves 1969 Camaro's and had a nice one, but wanted to get a C.O.P.O. as it is considered to be one of the Ultimate Musclecars of All Time. I learned about the C.O.P.O. Car and realized how rare and special they are. I then started my search for one. My source told me about "John D." and his COPO. He also told me that "John will never sell that Car." in my usual Optimistic Fashion my Reply was, "Have you asked him yourself"? He said he would get back to me. But as time past I heard nothing and assumed it went nowhere. The Following year, the Eagles were having a standout season. Again, Welbourn ask's me, "what's up with that Guy and the COPO"? So I start to lean on my Source again. to the point that he finally approaches John D. about the Car. John D. agrees to Talk, but only to Welbourn. He said, "If the Guy wants my Car, He knows what it's worth, tell him to give you his Phone number and I'll Call him when I'm ready". A day goes by and Welbourn get's the Call. He is Told the Non Negotioable price first. "Do you still want the Car"?? asked John D. An appointment was made, and Welbourn and I went to see the Infamous C.O.P.O. with the Grouchy Owner. I remember the night We Met. It was about Ten Degrees outside, and we got together at His Service station and Followed him to his Garage where He kept the Street Rod and the C.O.P.O. Camaro. As the Door opened, you cannot help but notice how immaculate the place was. everything in order, not a Box or Tool out of place. and the Two Cars, were obviously True labors of Love. Standing in the presence of this Mighty Camaro, even I, a "FORD Man", was in Awe of it's Sheer Beauty. I asked permission to take some pictures and John D. started to warm up to us as He saw we were genuine. He described all that he knew about the Car to us. He discussed his Restoration and the Shows he was at with it. We looked at Hooper's Book and the Camaro Catalog with the COPO on the Cover. when we got done we exchanged Numbers and Welbourn was going to Think about it. While he was thinking about the Car deal, another Deal even Bigger was Cooking. Welbourn wanted a New Contract from the Eagles! They would not do it so He got traded top the Kansas City Chiefs, thus turning his World upside down. He would not be able to close the deal. In the meantime, John D. and I became Friendly. Once Welbourn Passed on the Car, I told John D. I was going to Buy The COPO. and so I did just that. Immediately upon buying the Car I called Ed Cunneen of the "COPO Connection" to Register the Car. He was shocked to hear that John D. had Sold the Car after all these Years. He remembered John D. and the Car and told me what was required to get the Car Certified. I told John D. That we had some Detective work ahead of Us. In the next two Days, we learned more about the Car's Past than he had known in 18 Years. You see John D., Being a Perfectionist, saved everything when he Bought That Camaro. Even on down to scraps of Paper he found in the Car. It was on one of those scraps that he found the name, "Langhorne Speed Shop" and a Phone number. He called and the guy that answered was Barry Ferris himself. John D. said, "I have a Crazy question for you". Barry Chuckled and asked what it was?? "Do you know a George Coley and anything about a White 69 COPO Camaro"?? Barry Ferris replied,"I speak to George every other day since he moved to Florida two Years ago, and I remember that White COPO as I wanted the Green One that was next to it!" John D. and Barry spoke for an Hour and we drove up to Langhorne Speed Shop the Next Day. Barry recalled his knowledge of the Martell COPO and several other COPO Camaro's as well. He could not afford the Green Radio Delete Car and settled for a New 1969 Z/28!! He signed a statement to that effect and we drove over to a Notary and we all signed it and she notarized the Statement. It was during that Ride that he mentioned "Chuck" in Parts at Reedman Chevrolet. He said Chuck knew the Car also and the Martell Brother's as well. Chuck as it turned out still works at Reedman and is Now The Parts Manager!! When we got back to the Speed shop, we met another friend of Billy Martell's named "Reb". He also told some stories of the Old times, and mentioned where I could find Doug Martell. The Day was getting Late and we had to get back to I-95 before Rush hour started. In the next couple of Days, We Heard From George Coley who was a fountain of knowledge about this Car, Billy Martell and the History They created together. Doug Martell was another Great source as it was his Brother who bought the Car New. And next, I Called Reedman and asked for the Parts Department. I then asked for "Chuck". Adrenalin pumping, I got him on the phone and explained my situation. He remembered everything like it was yesterday. He told me to come up that afternoon. I was still amazed that a Man with the Knowledge I needed was still working at the Same Job 34 Years Later!! I took Bill Southern, a Neighbor Business Owner to me, and Drove up to Langhorne. We stepped out of the Truck and I took some Pictures of Reedman and The Vinatge NEON Parts Department Sign. More importantly, I got a Statement From, Charles "Chuck" Schmuckler. He confirmed that there were 4 COPO Cars in all at REEDMAN. This was a Fact that even Ed Cunneen did not know!
I sent Ed Cunneen Pictures of the Car in it's Current Condition, Previous Owner Title Copies as well as the Statements of Facts Documenting the cars History with Contact information for everyone involved. We also had a "N.I.C.B." (National Insurance Crime Bureau) Check run on the Car. This verified the Car as Never having any Claims, Never Stolen, Never Salvaged and also Identified the Selling Dealership as Reedman Chevrolet. Also the Date of Sale and Options on the Car. With His previous Knowledge of the Car and Hooper's Examination, Plus given the fact that it still retains the Original VIN Stamped L-72 427 Engine, On April 13th 2005, Ed Cunneen Registered the VIN#124379N638740 into the official Records of The "COPO Connection". It is the Only "Reedman" C.O.P.O. Camaro Registered and it is the "72nd" C.O.P.O. Camaro Currently known to Exist the World over."

Updates to Car since my Purchase:
1. I Gave the Car a thorough detailing and Photography session documenting important Date Codes, VIN stampings, and areas of the Car not normally seen easily.
2. 2. Rebuilt the Carburetor and Changed the Oil and Filter as well as a Full ignition Tune up.
3. 3. Repainted Engine while It was removed from the Car. I also had the Flywheel resurfaced.
4. 4. Had a New Core put in the Radiator and Retained the Original “Harrison Tanks”. added New Antifreeze.
5. 5. Removed the Aftermarket “Stewart Warner” Greenline Gauges as they were not original to the Car.
6. 6. Sent the Headers and Complete Exhaust system to Jet Hot and had them Coated to improve Appearance as well as Cut down on under hood Heat and add life to the System.
7. 7. Removed Lakewood Bellhousing and replaced with Stock GM unit as it came with originally.
8. 8. Replaced front Brake Rotors, Brake Hoses and Calipers. I retained the Original Parts)

[Written by David Winkler] </font></p>
<p align="center"><font color="#000000"><span style="background-color: #FFFFFF"></span></font></p>
<p align="center"><font color="#000000"><span style="background-color: #FFFFFF"></span></font></p>
<p align="center"><font color="#000000"><span style="background-color: #FFFFFF">
</span></font></p>
</body>
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: September '05 Feature Car

Great Story, i like detailed write up¨s. Neat Car, and special combination.

NEW
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Wow! That is some serious history on that car. I think the color combination is really special and the green interior is what people remember most about the car. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's one-of-one. Great car.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:09 PM

Dave, what a '' Fantastic COPO '' you must really feel pround having, and driving such a great car, Glad to have you share it's wonderful history, I wish I knew as much about mine. Thanks........
Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,579 Posts

-------Very nice piece of history! The big question now is weather you have a BOWTIE tatoo yet!!!!.........Bill S
Old 09-13-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-------Very nice piece of history! The big question now is weather you have a BOWTIE tatoo yet!!!!.........Bill S

[/ QUOTE ]Not yet, but I have done several through the years!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:28 AM

Sweet car!!Love the white/green combo!The history is truly awesome!!!My car too was sold new at Reedmans!I have been trying to locate the original owner.Wonder if Mr.Schmuckler remembers a gold LS6 sold new there?Way more common then your ride so probably not
Old 09-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Dave, I remember this car and John D. I worked for RADAR for 8 years. He was a close freind of mine and my mentor, he un fortunately died about 5 yrs ago. I remember when John D brought the engine into Radar's shop and how particular they were about it.I distinctly remember how cautious Radar was in determining that the engine was original and virgin, witch he confirmmed with 100% certainty.Besides RADAR's mechanical genuis, he was also a comidian, he told me that (your engine) was worth more than the house i live in(he was probably right).Radars shop was originally owned by K&amp;G speed(you may remember the K&amp;G frantic fueler and frantic ford nitro cars owned by Jim Fox who also worked with us), we did work for many div1 racers and some proffesional racers such as Grumpy Jenkins and Jungle Jim. In fact RADAR was the one of the last ppl to see Jungle alive. John D used to work with local legend Vince matea, They were proffesional racers from the 60's and 70's and damn good mechanics. I cant believe John D sold the car. I thought he would be burried in it.If need a statement from me contact me at www.beezerbuilt.com . That car was one of the rarest and nicest cars I have ever seen in its originality, I used to work for 442 restorers "B&amp;P" auto in ardmore and know how hard it is to find a car that is that clean, I havent seen the car for 5 years but hope it is in the same shape.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:04 PM

recently spoke to barry ferris
he informed me of 4 camaro copos at reedman chevrolet
1-white 4sp....john d
1-yellow 4sp...?
1-green 4sp...purchased by barrys friend
1-dark blue automatic...which could be the one i have
could you provide any help?
thanx jim 1-585-815-7663
Old 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
recently spoke to barry ferris
he informed me of 4 camaro copos at reedman chevrolet
1-white 4sp....john d
1-yellow 4sp...?
1-green 4sp...purchased by barrys friend
1-dark blue automatic...which could be the one i have
could you provide any help?
thanx jim 1-585-815-7663

[/ QUOTE ] Barry's friend had the Yellow car. as I recall when I spoke to him, a Black guy from Moorestown NJ Bought the Blue automatic and that was the last time he saw that car.