Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default What's it worth?

I'm not sure if this type of thread is allowed on this site but, since I can't seem to get an answer from anyone, I figured I'd take a chance.

I will be putting my 1969 Corvette coupe up for sale in the next few weeks and really have no idea what it's worth in today's market. I know what I'd like to get for it but, that might not be realistic.

I bought the car out of West Haven, CT after seeing it on EBay (not sure of the year that I bought the car but, I am sure it was over 10 years ago).
The car is equipped with the following options;

Factory black (900 code) car
Saddle vinyl interior
L46 350 / 350 hp engine (numbers match)
manual transmission (probably an M21); have not checked to see if it is the original or not.
3.70:1 positraction rearend
Power steering
Tilt-telescoping wheel
Manual brakes
Speed warning indicator
Side grille trim
AM/FM stereo (not installed in car; I currently have a factory style block off plate installed. The previous owner cut the bezel to fit an aftermarket stereo. I have a replacement reproduction bezel that goes with the car)
Factory rally wheels *I might throw in the American Racing T70’s if I get my asking price
I have most, if not all, of the parts that have been removed / replaced over the years including the old calipers, master cylinder and vacuum canister.

In the time that I have owned the car the following has been done;

2013 – Quadrajet was rebuilt by Eric Jackson @ Vintage Musclecar Parts.

2013 – Had the TI distributor rebuilt by Dave Fiedler @ TI Specialty.

2013 – Albert Galdi (Alss on the Yenko site) and his friend Joe went over the engine, fixing things that other, so-called, Corvette experts screwed up.
Replaced plug wires (other “mechanic” installed them incorrectly and even had a few that were cut into)
Installed rebuilt TI distributor and installed modern circuit board in the TI module.
Did a compression check on the motor (see attachment for results)
Performed an overall tune-up to get it running properly.

2014 – Took the car to a real Corvette expert, Gordon Mudge or “GordonM” on the Corvette Forum.
Gordon replaced the master cylinder, replaced all rubber hoses, installed stainless sleeved calipers, flushed and filled with new brake fluid.

2018 – Had the fluids replaced (rearend, transmission, oil and filter) and had the chassis lubricated. *I will be having the oil and filter changed before it is listed for sale.

I am not sure the year this was done but, I removed the interior and installed Fat Mat sound deadener, replaced the carpet, had the seat foam replaced and had new covers installed.

I also replaced the heater core and hoses.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave Rifkin; 05-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry tn_resizedinterior2.JPG tn_resizedCorvetteimage.JPG resized rear view.jpg DSC00485.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

Beautiful!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:16 PM

Black and saddle is a beautiful combination. Reminds me of the Grand Prix I had in the same combo.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,598 Posts

----Black 69's are very rare, as well as the tan gut. That alone will give you a boost. You didn't mention the quality of the paint, although it looks great, and I'd like a bit more info on that. Car has a lot going for it, but paint work is so expensive these days that to help you it would be great to have a fairly comprehensive statement about it. Will tell you my ideas after that. Hope that's OK?
----Does it have power windows as well?...….Bill S
Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 PM

Power windows - yes.

The paint is okay; I think someone who was really good at paint correction could do wonders for the car.

I don't think it needs to be repainted; at least for my standards but, it could use a good paint correction.

I don't have access to a lift so I can't get any undercarriage shots but, from what I can see, it has the normal surface rust. When I was replacing the carpet I was able to get a good look at a few of the body mounts that are hidden behind the kick panels and they looked very clean which leads me to believe that the birdcage is pretty solid.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 PM

Very nice,clean L46 Corvette ! I looked at and drove this car about a year and a half ago when I was looking for a early C3 Corvette. I prefer it with the Rallys & w/w's compared to the Americans that where on it when I looked at it. Not picking on the car Dave!, But if I was going to try to market it this car sale . From what I remember it could use a little clean up & detail under the hood,nothing major just a hr or two to tidy things up .Regarding the Quality of the paint . While the Black has a very nice/deep shine.I feel The biggest improvement you could make to get more $ for the car would be to wet sand & buff the entire car to the eliminate the orange peel that covers the car . While a vintage black Corvette is def not a job for an un experienced do it your selfer !!! A professional buffer/detailer could really take this car up a couple notches in the matter of a weekend !!! Beautiful color combo and a very nice car, Good luck with what ever you decide Dave . Still looking for a 70 Z/28 ?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyJeff View Post
Very nice,clean L46 Corvette ! I looked at and drove this car about a year and a half ago when I was looking for a early C3 Corvette. I prefer it with the Rallys & w/w's compared to the Americans that where on it when I looked at it. Not picking on the car Dave!, But if I was going to try to market it this car sale . From what I remember it could use a little clean up & detail under the hood,nothing major just a hr or two to tidy things up .Regarding the Quality of the paint . While the Black has a very nice/deep shine.I feel The biggest improvement you could make to get more $ for the car would be to wet sand & buff the entire car to the eliminate the orange peel that covers the car . While a vintage black Corvette is def not a job for an un experienced do it your selfer !!! A professional buffer/detailer could really take this car up a couple notches in the matter of a weekend !!! Beautiful color combo and a very nice car, Good luck with what ever you decide Dave . Still looking for a 70 Z/28 ?
Jeff, I agree with all that you said. I have contemplated having the engine compartment detailed but, then you risk having people say the car has been fluffed. As for wet sanding and buffing the paint is concerned; again I agree but, that is not something I would try myself and I am unaware of any good detailers in my area who I would trust to do that work.

I would love to own another 1970 Z but, things have changed and I think I am finally coming to grips with the fact that, while I love old cars, I am not a mechanic and am always at the mercy of someone else doing the work. My cars don't get driven enough to justify owning them and it never fails that I wind up losing money on every car I own when it comes time to sell.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rifkin View Post
Jeff, I agree with all that you said. I have contemplated having the engine compartment detailed but, then you risk having people say the car has been fluffed. As for wet sanding and buffing the paint is concerned; again I agree but, that is not something I would try myself and I am unaware of any good detailers in my area who I would trust to do that work.

I would love to own another 1970 Z but, things have changed and I think I am finally coming to grips with the fact that, while I love old cars, I am not a mechanic and am always at the mercy of someone else doing the work. My cars don't get driven enough to justify owning them and it never fails that I wind up losing money on every car I own when it comes time to sell.
Man this is well said as I feel the same way. Trying buying one of the new turn key muscle cars, w A/C, they are a blast!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:45 AM

Does anyone know of a good paint correction shop in the Southern NJ area that I could bring the car to? How much value do you think doing this would add to the car? Will it offset the expense of having the paint corrected?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 PM

In my opinion, And as nice as the car is Dave I believe it could easily add $3000 to the value of the car ? I do that type of work for a living . But a Vintage black Corvette isn't a normal cars . Lots of nooks, crannys , sharp body lines & vents etc & you would probably want to remove as much as the chrome trim me emblems as possiable . So doing a all over wet sand can be very time consuming which equals $$$ As far as "paint correction guys " I would just talk to some good body shops and see if they have somebody who would like to make some $ on the side ? I would guess it would cost you darn near $ 1000 to have the car done as needed ?