Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Default 1969 corvette BM shop car?? With attempted murder and ties to Watkins Glen track

Hello all, new to the site. I have a 1969 427 corvette that from what I have been told was a BM shop car (#2 car??). I purchased the car from a guy who flipped it from the second owner. Here is the story in brief:
Original owner purchased the car then in 1970 took it to Motion Performance to do some engine work. The original owner raced at Watkins Glen. Reportedly he ran the car a time or two on the track for fun. He had wheel well flares put on it to run wider tires. He had evidently the engine rebuilt there to his specs. Has a high capacity oil pump that pegs the 70 psi factory gauge. A pretty decent cam, other inside work I am not sure of. He also had from the shop installed an Edlebrock high rise 396C manifold ( round port heads), Holley 780 cfm dual feed, fly eye air cleaner, Motion valve covers, Hooker headers and a fiberglass stinger hood. The car has period decals from Watkins Glen, blue and yellow Motion Performance and House of Corvettes ( buffalo NY. Once a corvette institution on the east coast) stickers. He sold the car to a a lawyer on the east coast ( not allowed to use his name or location). He got a divorce, started dating some young thing ( reportedly in that order), she stalked him. One day he and his new squeeze went out, parked and left the vette. She went to the car to break in, tried to force the drivers door with a huge screwdriver ON THE HINGE SIDE (LOL), leaving 2 sizable indentations in the fiberglass door. She then took paint and spelled out WHORE on the windshield on the passengers side in 3 inch letters. She then hid in a Bush. They came out, saw the car, jumped in. She came out from the bush with the screwdriver, slammed it into the side glass 3 times taking out 3 chunks of glass but did not break it trying to kill the girlfriend. He floors the car, loses controlsmacks something with the front end, cracks the nose some, cracks the hood a little, slight bend to the bumper, put a dent in the oil pan and drove home and shoved the car in an old out building where it sat for over 20 years. He sold it to the flipper who I got it from. He removed the painted WHORE on the windshield with steel wool. It is all scuffed except for the impression of the word left in the glass still readable after all this time. I have the car. It runs very well, took some work to get it back. It is left all intact, untouched excepted to intake carb setup and headers were removed and the factory original pieces put back on the car. I still have all of the original MOTION items untouched with all the patina still there. I have put the Motion valve covers back on. I have not seen this type before except for one photo in the blue Baldwin Motion book. They are stamped steel units chrome plated with the Motion emblem stuck to them. They are clearly real items by the age on them. They are not just factory covers with the Motion emblem stuck one. Has anybody seen these before. The engine retains all the original hoses, clamps plug wires and shielding. Truely amazing. I am currently trying to get the Motion hood back from the flipper, hopefully to finish off the car. So here are my questions:

Did Joel keep records of shop cars??? Mine is NOT a real Baldwin Motion car. A private party car brought into the shop to work on it.

Are shop cars valuable today with all the original Motion items still with them?
All I see is fake Tributes/ clones that come up for sale, are the shop cars with the Motion equipment that hard to find?

And last, all I hear about is the finned Ansen valve covers. Has anyone ever seen the stamped steel/chrome versions. There is a photo of them in the blue book, think it is page 144 or 149 somewhere around there on an engine with dual quads.

Thoughts?? Thanks for the responses. Amazing car with crazy provenance. The life these cars lead and this one is preserved. If someone can tell me how to upload photos i will do so. Great site!!

Last edited by 22truckie; 09-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 22truckie For This Useful Post:
GotGrunt (09-08-2019)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry output2.jpg output.jpg AFE51CBD-31B9-47CC-BDDE-52ED31E9BCF0.jpeg 61725049_10219492608723717_6289316341782413312_n.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Great story, I can’t wait to see some pictures!
Old 09-08-2019, 01:51 PM

Tell me how and I will !
Old 09-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22truckie View Post
Tell me how and I will !
There’s a button below where you type your post that says “manage attachments” but you may have to resize them first if they are too large or else they won’t upload. Another alternative is to upload them on another site such as photobucket and post the link.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Ok, here you go. Please see facebook link below to the car. Any thoughts, answers to the questions will be very much appreciated.

Last edited by 22truckie; 09-08-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:32 PM

https://www.facebook.com/1969-Baldwi...3888526658734/
The Following User Says Thank You to 22truckie For This Useful Post:
GotGrunt (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 PM

Well the pictures don't really show much of the car. If you want feedback from the knowledgeable folks on this site I think they're going to need more to work with.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Ok, what would you like? Sorry but we are building a new house and the cars are in the new garage with everything else with the driveway completely blocked with building materials so getting the car out is not going to happen for a while. Curious on comments on the valve covers and how many shop cars are still around. I will provide whatever I can
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Cool car and story. The valve covers look like factory installed chrome dripper covers with the Motion emblems attached.

Jason
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperNovaSS For This Useful Post:
x Baldwin Motion (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

Yeah, looks like factory chrome calve covers with Motion badges attached.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
x Baldwin Motion (09-08-2019)