Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Holley Sniper EFI feedback

Looking for some feedback on the Holley Sniper EFI. I have a 468 BBC running a Comp Cam Nostalgia Plus cam, Hooker headers and a TH400. The engine is in a 71' Nova with 3:42 gear.

Has anyone installed this system? Thanks for any input in advance! Craig
Old 05-03-2020, 11:26 AM

Contact Kevin Oeste V8TV

They install quite a few, he would know whats what.

Ryan W31.

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 05-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Surprised nobody responded but most cars on the site are stock looking or day 2. I can’t help you too much but purchased one for a 502 Chevelle because it needed a new carb anyway. I don’t have it completely installed because the engine is still on the stand. It has a 6an inlet and 6 an return with a built in fuel regulator. The wiring is included and simple and comes with an o2 sensor. If tuning it is as easy as installing I’ll be adding one to an 455 Olds soon.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:34 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback ... Craig
Old 05-04-2020, 06:33 PM

I have installed the FAST systems on a couple customer cars that worked extremely well and still are today. That was before Holley came out with their stuff.

I recently got interested in the Holley Sniper Stealth specifically, because they look like Holley carbs.

So my father and I have both ordered the 4150 Super Sniper Stealth 8 injector kits. One is going on his GTO 571ci that makes 724hp/764tq and has a pretty healthy roller in it. That one will be installed first so too early for me to give feedback.

I bought one for my 454 Chevelle that is just over 600hp and a decent roller in it as well. This will later be transferred to a 509 I'm doing that should be closer to 700 hp.

Both cars idle with about 6-7 inches of vacuum up here at 5,000 feet elevation so we'll have to see how the Sniper handles that. I don't expect any issues and they are pretty straight forward to wire up if using as a stand alone unit. Basically battery hot, key on hot, a wire to run your pump and a couple grounds, also a wire for ignition signal, where you get that depends on the ignition system you're currently using. Has a wire to run a tachometer. That's about it.

They use readily available sensors so that was a big selling point for me. Plus with our elevation changes everywhere we drive, and the dragstrip being at sea level, I'm about tired of rejetting the carb all the time and really need to just have a zipper on it. The Sniper cures that issue.

Probably the best advice I can give is recommending a very good fuel system. I'm not a fan of inline pumps or surge tanks (surge tanks not NHRA approved either) I do these systems with in tank pumps only. Both of our cars have had Tanks Inc setups, with 450 lph pumps in the tank, 1/2" line feed and return, and Aeromotive 13301 regulators that are capable of carb or fuel injection pressures. So they are basically ready for EFI. It's an expensive fuel system when compared to inline stuff, but it's OEM type reliability with the pump in the tank and it's quiet. Nice deal all around, clean install and stock appearing.
After the EFI is up and running and dialed in, I'll look into timing control at some point. Both cars have MSD setups with boxes so it's just as simple as locking out the distributor and changing a few wires around to have full digital control of the timing curve.

Would like to hear what you end up with and how the install goes for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:07 PM

X33RS -- thanks for the input. I am running an HEI with Accel coil, etc. Do you see any issues with "sharing" the TACH terminal with the Sniper and the tach? I am contemplating calling Holley and bending their ear as to installation.

Altitude and jetting? Played that game when I was stationed and Williams and Cannon AFBs ... can be a pain.

Again thanks!! Craig
Old 05-04-2020, 08:15 PM

Hi Craig,

The Sniper will get it's signal from the tach signal you currently use, and the Sniper has a supplied wire from the unit to send a signal to your tachometer. I believe it's the dark brown wire for tach signal output you'll run the tachometer to.

Larry
Old 05-04-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
Hi Craig,

The Sniper will get it's signal from the tach signal you currently use, and the Sniper has a supplied wire from the unit to send a signal to your tachometer. I believe it's the dark brown wire for tach signal output you'll run the tachometer to.

Larry
Copy that -- thanks Larry ... if I decide to go that route I'll let you know the results ... Craig