Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 AM

Default Just when you think it's time to give up...

As many of you here know my brother Joe and I have been collecting Yenko memorabilia for what seems like most of our lives. As a Cars.com account rep I talk to hundreds of car dealers and players in the automotive business through the course of my regular work routine. Since I live just a few miles from the original Yenko Canonsburg location, I always make it a point of asking any old timers I meet if they know anything about Yenko, it's history, employees, have any parts, memorabila, historical artifacts, etc. The answer is always the same. &quot;Sorry guy, can't help ya there.&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Well today I finally hit paydirt. I was fortunate enough to make contact with a former Yenko employee who was forward thinking enough to have hung onto some of the items he was able to collect while working at Yenko. Among the items were two original Yenko crest patches, of slightly different varieties, one of which was supposedly removed from one of Don's old racing suits. It's still got the red threads sticking to it and I have no reason to doubt the gentleman's word. Also present were two Yenko stinger logo patches, also one of which was taken from a Don Yenko race suit. Also included were a few original Chverolet salesman's blazer patches. This would have been enough to make my day, but it gets better. He also had 2 sets of Yenko Chevrolet golf tees and ball markers with the Rt.19 address as well as a neat little pocket mirror that was also from the Rt. 19 store. It's got a silkscreened Yenko crest denoting Chevy, Saab, and Honda at the same location. It also has a clever slogan printed on it that reads &quot;look inside to see a friend of ours.&quot; Again...if this were the end I'd still be grinning from ear to ear...but the real kicker remains.

In addition to all of this Yenko specific marketing memorabila, he had a box of 5 original NOS stamped steel GM USA-1 tags with the 1969 only &quot;PUTTING YOU FIRST...KEEPS US FIRST!&quot; slogan...still in their original packaging, with wax paper separator sheets, and it came straight from the Canonsburg store. It's an open case of 6 missing just one plate. Even the original packaging is in amazing shape for it's age...but the plates are totally virgin. Popping open the dusty box that hadn't been touched in over 40 years almost gave me goosebumps. If it wasn't that it was what I saw peeking back at me inside...glimmering in NOS glory were a royal flush of USA-1 tags of the rarest and most desired variety. Before you ask...no you can't have them.

Naturally some Franklins were exchanged, as well as some very colorful stories of working under Don Yenko in the musclecar heyday. I'd have paid a few hundred just to hear the stories, but the memorabila is just an extreme bonus to the whole uplifting experience.

I had just about reached the point of stopping my search for this stuff as it seemed like it had become so fruitless and that nothing was left to be unearthed...then today out of nowhere I stumble upon another &quot;honey hole.&quot; Although it's hardly the type of thing that garners excitement like the story of an undiscovered SuperCar or something being pulled from a barn, there are a few of us out there who appreciate memorabila for it's historical value and the people and stories it leads you to...that being said, this was a banner day for our kind and I thought you all might like to see and share in the experience.

I sit here looking at these items as I type and can't help but appreciate the history they represent and think how fortunate I am to have been able to meet this gentleman, hear his stories, and purchase these items.

I guess the moral of the story is...never give up on anything you're truly passionate about, and when you do have success at whatever it is you do...take the time to share it with others who can get enjoyment out of it too. Anyone else have any stories like this to share?

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Just when you think it's time to give up...

WOW, Nice Score!

Congrats,

Jason
Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 AM

Absolutely frickin amazing! Only one of the Barr boys could dig up this kind of stuff! I don't know how many of these &quot;amazing find&quot; stories these two guys could tell just by themselves! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hvychev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Absolutely frickin amazing! Only one of the Barr boys could dig up this kind of stuff! I don't know how many of these &quot;amazing find&quot; stories these two guys could tell just by themselves! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img] </div></div>

Haha.. I had nothing to do with this most recent haul, Erik did all the digging and leg work himself, and uncovered some pretty cool stuff. He called me on his way back, and I could tell from the excitement in his voice that he struck pay dirt. Notice the 2 different styles of Yenko logo patches? The metal emblems varied in a similar manner from batch to batch. You'd never notice the differences unless you had 2 side by side, which doesn't happen too often! Good score.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:03 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

That's cool...thanks for sharing Erik. Your passion for this type of stuff can be felt all the way out here in AZ!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 AM

Nice find!!

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM

CONGRATS Erik, Just love to hear these stories. Its talking to the people that were there when all the MAGIC happened, way before some of us were even thought of.. Like you said the items are just an added bonus.
The &quot;MOF&quot;
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM

man that stuff is killer! Good going.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,142 Posts

You're well deserving of this mother-load for all the effort spent sniffing and following dead-end leads that went nowhere!.
Cool too just to see how treasures like this are stll out there to be found!!!

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete