Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Brooklyn Heavy

[ QUOTE ]
Brookln-Heavy used to race down at atco nj a lot found these old pictures dated dec of 72 [image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably, Heavy's car is the ex-Rotonda's Speed Shop Duster.

Pete
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just had a visit from Levi Holmes at the Raceway Park tower during the Shakedown at E-town he always comes upstairs to be interviewed. Prepare a list of questions and I will get them to him Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Andrew...is that you? If it is, it's me, Pete, formerly of Half Scale Dragsters, Inc. Long time no see! Anyway, here are some old pix of Levi's cars from some ancient issues of Raceway News.

Pete
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rufus Boyd alias Brooklyn Heavy was-is a famous street racer and drag racer. His first legal race car was a 66 or 67 chevelle. I saw him run many times at Cecil County and Englishtown. The 1968 camaro he owned did belong to The Grump. that is why it ran so good. He had many race cars and sponsored a few of his friends. Probably the most popular racer he sponsored was Carmen Rotonda. I don't know if he owned the Vega Pro Stocker or if Heavy did, but they ran it together. After that I think Boyd bought a Hemi Cuda or Challenger with Sox and Martin power. I even think Herb McCandless drove a super stock Hemi for Heavy. He actually was a nice person to talk to in the pits. Him and his people loved to bet on race cars, especially at Englishtown. These guys were fun to watch. I think Heavy went to jail for a while, and Rotonda moved to Florida. That was a good drag racing era. His cars were painted orange and I think the chevelle was called Heavy's Super Pumpkin. I probably have some pictures in my old Dragster papers with him in them. His cars ran good because he always had a lot of money! Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

"That was a good drag racing era."

To me, it was the BEST era.

Is this the same car as in the above ad?

And speaking of Ron Lyles...

...and when you're talkin' about Heavy, Ron Lyles, and Levi Holmes, the discussion would not be complete without mentioning "Fast Earl" Mitchell. With a Booth-Arons big-block Chevy under the hood, his cars always ran mighty strong.

Pete
Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 PM

For those that raced at E Town. Do you remember a guy named ( I think ) Henry Jackson. Ran a 66/67 Chevelle. Nicest sounding car ever.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that raced at E Town. Do you remember a guy named ( I think ) Henry Jackson. Ran a 66/67 Chevelle. Nicest sounding car ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember him and his cars; green 1970 Chevelle SS, blue 1969 Camaro SS and the black 1967 Chevelle SS you mention. Henry's cars were/are immaculate--atypical.

I've known of him since the early 1980s when I first ran into him on the street while cruising with my buddy in his 1970 440-powered, 4-speed Road Runner in Asbury Park, NJ. Over the years, I've seen him from time to time at Raceway Park, with increasingly faster machinery.

Last I saw Henry was at Raceway Park sometime in the mid-1990s. I was on top end, a good bit past the finish line, and Henry just finished making a pass in his mid-7 second, black, white-striped 1969 Camaro.

While talking to a fellow I met at a buddy's shop about four or five years ago, his name came up. I was told Henry is still racing and also builds racing engines (now).

Pete
Old 03-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Hey Pete, remember those Sunday afternoon Pro Stock shows at E-Town? Circe 1971-72. They had some fast cars from the locals there. Like you said, fast Earl M., Patty Marchitto, Levi Holmes, Tony Feil and alot of other A/MP cars that turned PS for the weekly Eliminator show at Raceway Park. We even saw Paul Blevins there on Sundays when he got into PS. How about Carmen Rotunda's dad taking bets in the pits. I loved those days!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 AM

I just talked to my Dad. The Dart was owned by the Mutt Brothers before it was owned by Heavy. The Two camaros are Diffrent Cars...one was Green..one was Orange. The Green one was put together by Carmen..The Orange one was Grumps car. The Green one was lost in the Trailer Accident. My dad says that the Grump 68 is still out there (who knows). He also told me about the Challenger..It was owned by Billy Stepp...and the doors said "wanted" or "Billy The Kid" in flip flop paint.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Do you happen to have anymore photos of Mitchells 69 Camaro?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember him and his cars; green 1970 Chevelle SS, blue 1969 Camaro SS and the black 1967 Chevelle SS you mention. Henry's cars were/are immaculate--atypical.

I've known of him since the early 1980s when I first ran into him on the street while cruising with my buddy in his 1970 440-powered, 4-speed Road Runner in Asbury Park, NJ. Over the years, I've seen him from time to time at Raceway Park, with increasingly faster machinery.

Last I saw Henry was at Raceway Park sometime in the mid-1990s. I was on top end, a good bit past the finish line, and Henry just finished making a pass in his mid-7 second, black, white-striped 1969 Camaro.

While talking to a fellow I met at a buddy's shop about four or five years ago, his name came up. I was told Henry is still racing and also builds racing engines (now).

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I saw that 67 leave the line I was impressed. My buds and I all said the same thing. It just squatted down and left. Hardly any front end lift. Just grabbed and went. mImpressive
Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Super Stock magazine did a feature on Henry Jackson's '67 Chevelle back in the Nineties. Great car and a very talented racer/builder, so much so, that I remember the article. That black Chevelle ran high-9's on a small tire and NO bottle and looked like just a regular, nice street machine!