Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default 5 spline wheel lugs and socket

Any wheel lug gurus out there. Sherri missed her little MRoadster, so I found another one out in CA. She is enjoying it. However, it has five spline lug bolts, and there is no socket to be found. Guy I bought it from can't find the socket either. Went to a couple tire shops locally thinking they would have an assortment of sockets. No luck.

My guess is the splines are unevenly spaced and there are 10 or so different sockets to deter theft. Anyone offer any guidance?

They look similar to these, but I have no way of knowing if they are the same brand.

Five spline lugs and socket
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-10-2016, 02:52 PM

Default Re: 5 spline wheel lugs and socket

Got a pic of the wheels you have,
Old 11-10-2016, 03:00 PM

Will have to post tonight. Pics are on the home computer.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:08 PM

This will sound somewhat "Neanderthal" but I have used an 1/2" impact socket just slightly smaller then the wheel lock nut. Using the socket, a 1/2" extension (which may be toast after your done) and a drill hammer, drive the socket onto the locking lug nut -- then carefully attempt to remove the lug nut. This will put "flats" on the lug nut for the socket to grip -- of course this will ruin the lug nut. Good luck! TAZ
Old 11-10-2016, 06:42 PM

My daughter had a problem with a Lexus she bought. Looked at it and there was no socket that could be driven on, either too small or too large and universal lug removers would not fit.
Couldn't come up with any other solution other than maybe weld nut to end and that didn't seem to be a good idea. Ended up at dealer where they had sockets for the lugs and zipped them off at no charge. (one per wheel) and we replaced with std. lug nuts. Those things were pretty theft proof.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanked 4,257 Times in 1,982 Posts
Default 5 spline wheel lugs and socket

'

Some funky spline lugs are solid also other have regular hex nuts inside w/ chromed spline over top so may be worth trying to cold chisel the cap and skin off one to check?
Sometimes you can tell if the lugs are solid or chromed skin style by trying to dent the top edges or top itself.
Good luck!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 11-10-2016, 07:22 PM

ebay is the most convenient way to find odd size tools,if you have the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-ANODIZED...FQ&amp;vxp=mtr
Old 11-10-2016, 10:40 PM

Correction: has seven spline lug bolts (not nuts.... not that it matters that much).

Pics of lugs and wheels attached. No identifying marks, so I don't know what brand they are.

Taz. I am not above Neanderthal by any means. Consider myself to be a bit of hack mechanic on some things. Because they are seven spline, I don't have a socket I can hamnmer on, without something else put in for interference (read below). One of the problems it that they (the lug bolts) are on so tight.

Here is how I know, and here is what I tried so far.

I am able to slip either an 11/16 twelve point socket or 17mm twelve point socket over. Both fit pretty snug. 5/8 does not and 16mm does not.
I figured this would be a piece of cake. Found a couple of old sockets in the &quot;extra&quot; socket drawer. Didn't want to break a good one.
Cut off part of a nail and laid it in one of the spline grooves. Socket wouldn't quite go over it, so Had to hammer it on. Broke the socket; it split all the way down the side. Figured I would try a better socket, so useed a 17mm Craftsman. Hammered it on with the nail in one of the grooves. Split the Craftsman.

If I can just get one of them off, I could mail it in to someone who has an assortment of the key sockets. I don't want to just buy every number there is of the 7 spline keyed sockets. As you can see from the pics, the front wheel lugs are even more recessed than the back.

I thought I had a set of these somewhere, but can't find them: universal lug key
I know my brother has a set at the shop, so may end up seeing if one of those will work. I just hate wasting time on this stuff.

I know I can take some measurements and make a temp tool good enough to get one of them off. I don't want to weld something to one of them as I am pretty sure there would be enough spatter to ruin the finish on the wheel, and they are pristine right now (other than a few water spots). Might try a socket with two pieces of nail. At least that would spread the load to twp places on the socket.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2016, 11:26 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

They make locking lugnut removal sets. I had to buy one from Snap on when we got our 2001 Trans Am and the seller lost the unique lugnut. You pound the socket on and then use an impact gun. The rod is used to knock the lugnut out of the socket when you are done.

https://store.snapon.com/Lug-Nut-Soc...l-P640541.aspx
Old 11-10-2016, 11:27 PM

It appears neither of those sockets were impact sockets -- try the nail trick again using a six point impact socket either 17mm or 18mm. Take that broken Craftsman socket back to Sears and get it replaced. TAZ