Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 10-20-2001, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Anyone know of a Fathom Blue '68 DICK HARRELL Chevelle?

Hi All,

I have to respond to what was said about the '71 BM Camaro. I have first hand knowledge about the car and the deal that was made for it. I have known about (and ridden in) this car since '72. My shop was the one that restored the car for the gentleman that Kevin purchased the car from. When I saw what was written on the site I called him and asked him what happened. He informed me that the guy from back east did have a deposit on the car but had dropped the ball as far as coming up with the money to close the deal. As far as I know from what this man told me Kevin was the first one to "pull the trigger". Emotions run high when dealing on these rare cars. The same person that owned the BM car back in '72 sold me my COPO Camaro. Two years before I bought it he had offered the car to his nephew, the nephew screwed around and tried to chisel him on the price. When I was offered the car, I appeared on his doorstep in 30 minutes with a deposit and grabbed the Protect-O-Plate to ensure the car was mine.
The nephew was so mad that I ended up with the car that he wouldn't speak to me for about a year. The upshot of this ramble is,
not to give complete credence to the guy who "lost" the deal. Most of the time it was his own fault. Frank Payne.

Old 10-23-2001, 03:41 PM

I returned from Alaska night before last, read this thread after my wife's telling me about it. I finally have calmed down enough now to respond in a gentleman-like fashion.
I will again tell the real story on the 71 B/M Camaro for Bow Tie Gang since he is stirring up the controversy.

I contacted Jon Bischof about selling his 71 B/M Camaro 2 years prior and it was not for sale at that time. When 69 motion Jeff called me I had my Hemmings in my hands as well, which had the 71 B/M ad in it. Jeff asked me what he thought the B/M car was worth, and secondly if I was interested in buying his 69 SS396/375 HP Chevelle for $65,000; which coincidently was the asking price of the B/M camaro. I then called the owner Jon Bischof direct to re-remind him of my call asking to buy it a couple of years ago. He responds that the car had to go through the broker now but confirmed there were no deposits on the car yet. I felt my position in line for purchase of this car was first, having been two years prior to other potential buyers. I still waited another day, then called the broker who said he had no deposits but had approximately 10 prospective buyers, any of whom could buy it at any minute. I spoke for it and bought it.

We all know now there was a second like kind 71 B/M Camaro on eBay. After all this controversy, Jeff did not bid on it?? As it didn't sell, it could've been bought after the auction for $57,000. I think I would've done a favor to anyone wanting a 71 B/M Camaro as it was $8,000 less than what I paid.

It appears that Dan 68 Chevy II is the person behind the scenes fueling this controversy by emailing off-line. He had the only negative remark in the original 71 B/M thread as well. Another member of this Board had passed on to me that when asking for info on a 68 Big Block Nova, Dan emailed him stating that since he sided with Kevin, Dan wouldn't help him; as Kevin was a wealthy owner that didn't care about his crews whom where in danger on his boats in Alaska, and that Kevin's Dad gave it all to him. I've also emailed to Bow Tie Gang off-line asking if it was Dan emailing him off-line and fueling the 71 B/M controversy; but he has not responded. My assumption is that it is Dan.

Dan this is for your info: Although I have a great Dad, the only thing he gave me was the suitcase I packed my clothes in when I left home at age 17. I've not inherited nor have been given anything by anybody. I started my business from scratch. My crews and other boat captains are like family to me whom I care a lot about. This is because I spent 32 years of seasons at Sea risking my life with them, so I know what happens up there. I just returned from a season of which a storm took place and we fished in 40 foot seas. There was loss of life again and numerous vessels incurred heavy weather damage. My brother-in-laws boat recovered one of the bodies. Being there and listening to it happen on my radios tears your heart out. We are like a small tight-knit community of vessels at sea, as we are 100 miles offshore with no protection. There were vessels that had wheelhouse windows blown out, which results in destroying the vessels navagation and communications electronics. One vessel returned with the steel top of his wheelhouse peeled back like the lid on a tin can. Yet these are not small vessels as they are heavy duty steel and range in 120 to 165 feet in length. But all my vessels, crews and myself returned safely. Kevin

Old 10-23-2001, 04:18 PM

Well said,welcome back!

Steve
Old 10-23-2001, 04:40 PM

Kevin, Wenona, that was more explanation than anyone deserved nor should you have had to make it!! Hopefully this thread can be put to rest. Welcome back (got back just in time for last nights storm which I am sure seemed very tame to you).
Jim
Old 10-23-2001, 11:05 PM

Kevin I guess you just don't remenber me .I talked to you personally and you said would help me with imfomation about my car and did you ever call just to say no I couldn't find anything,Thanks for helping.This happen when you had your 69 BM Motion for sale in Hemmings and I called on your car .You told me you sold the car and that the new owner wanted to keep the price private.I could care less what you have and as far as what you just said ,if it makes you fill good say whatever you want,I heard different opinons off line and also phone calls from many people also.I just want to know one thing ,why do you feel you have to justify your ownership of 40 supercars?I don't come on here and defend why I have 3 muscle cars,I appreciate what I have and I'm dam lucky to have these.I think all of us work hard for what we have,but I've yet to see anyone else but you defend why they have what they have ,lets add that to the Profiles maybe since it seems to be the TOPIC NOW.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:56 AM

Wow,I'm impress.Do you better now?
Sincerily Dan Palchanes
Old 10-24-2001, 01:11 AM

Dan, I remember your phone calls to which I answered you the best I could. You were seeing some stripes resembling B/M stripes on your 68 Nova and asked me how to identify a B/M car. I answered you at that time that I had no way to identify it, but the only real way was to pay Joel Rosen $1500 to tell you whether it was or wasn't a B/M car. You were not happy to hear that but I can not be responsible for what Joel charges. If you were one of the dozens of guys calling when I had my 69 B/M for sale and then asking price after I said it was no longer available; I felt it was prying into ones privacy. It was a confidential matter between me and Charley Lillard as I promised it to him but the sale hinged on my buying a ZL1 B/M Camaro I was dealing with a guy on. The ZL1 ended up being a bogus car with no paperwork, therefore I was not able to sell mine to Charley.

As far as your question why I have to justify and defend myself; it is only because of your negative comments that prompt them. The first being your comment in the original 71 B/M thread about "elite secret guys with wads of money". All I want to say is I am the same as everyone else on this board and no better. Dan it is you that has me here again and again needing to defend myself after your emailing negative comments off-line about me to other members. The one about me not caring about my crews on my boats in Alaska really struck a sensitive nerve after seeing crews on other boats die and get injured this last two weeks, plus stressing heavily for my crews and boats safety. I am certain it was you that was fueling Bow Tie Gangs Controversy as well. I don't have a personal need to defend myself until people like you make negative statements against me, and then you can darn well bet that I will DEFEND myself!
Old 10-24-2001, 01:44 AM

I'm a relative "newby," to you site, however I feel compelled to post. I have only recently re-entered the musclecar hobby, after taking 5-6 years off, with the re-purchase of a '70 LS6 Chevelle. I'm only 31, but I've owned alot of really nice cars. I would love to go out and spend 100K for B/M, Yenko, or ZL1 cars, but realistically that is not an option right now. I applaud Kevin, and others like him. I have never met Kevin, nor for that matter spoken with him via phone. We have only corresponded via email a few times. However he seems like a very up front, "real" ethusiast. Am I jealous of him for the money...hell no. I have seen what that can do firsthand.... I would like to publically thank Kevin for allowing me a glimspe of his collection via the internet. It is always great to be able to sit up and drool!!!For what it is worth....even though the internet does not show a person's jealous tone via voice, it does infer it through the words. Some of you need to remember that....I have a fellow devildog that always says, "never type something, you wouldn't have the bxlls to say to someone's face." Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:36 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,012 Posts

Arrgh..Instead of looking at that 69 BM Camaro in my garage I get to look at this...Kevin...Help....

Old 10-24-2001, 02:49 AM

Didn't I give you my Vin# on my 68 Nova when you asked? Now why did you ask me knowing you don't normally give this imformation out and then never respond?I often wonder about why you asked for my vin# yet never called to say yes I found something out or no I didn't.Did you a few months ago contact someone in N J about trying to buy a Black Motion Nova that is heavily documented?I talked to this person not to long ago.
Now as far as if you care about your workers,I DEFINITLY believe you do.I'm real glad you brought this point up.Without having and seeing all the imfomation that I said ,What I meant is all business work as a team and whether you want to admitt this or not business would not survive without the worker bees doing the grunt work at the bottom. Kevin,I was just trying to point out that most people don't give credit for what they have is do to the complete team and not just one individule.
These people at the bottom work their ass off for a tenth of what the people at the top make yet how many times do you hear a owner really say an mean that it's team and without the help of everybody I have on my team I wouldn't I have made the money I have or aquire the things I have. Life has gotten
way to fast and we need to slow it down and show appreciation for the good people around us. By the way I give your men much credit for being able to stay on the deck and still do their job through some of those tremendous violent storms.How these guys stay on deck through these storms is a miracle.
Peace Kevin,Dan
P.S. I'll leave you guys alone,I won't be posting anymore. Thanks