Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Re: 1971 LS6 Chevelle SS Production

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Very true. It does not mean it made production. But if you owned that test car today - say someone hauls it out of a barn next week with some of the road-tester's handwritten notes in the glovebox - it would be considered a factory built 1971 LS6 Chevelle. That is all I am saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's where I disagree again - there's no saying what the car started out as. For all we know, it could have been a regular Malibu 350 that was converted to an SS454 for more promotional purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first HemiCuda started life as a small block Gran Coupe dev mule. It was later rebuilt, revinned and sold new as a Hemi car. So is it still a HemiCuda?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 PM

You never know - according to some, no self-respecting Chevy guy would suggest such things!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Very true. It does not mean it made production. But if you owned that test car today - say someone hauls it out of a barn next week with some of the road-tester's handwritten notes in the glovebox - it would be considered a factory built 1971 LS6 Chevelle. That is all I am saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's where I disagree again - there's no saying what the car started out as. For all we know, it could have been a regular Malibu 350 that was converted to an SS454 for more promotional purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first HemiCuda started life as a small block Gran Coupe dev mule. It was later rebuilt, revinned and sold new as a Hemi car. So is it still a HemiCuda?

Factory re-V.I.N.ing was not all that uncommon. If they made a mistake in building a vehicle that had the wrong equipment for that model, they simply did it to reflect the model they had built or the closest to it. It was the most economical thing to do. We always think in terms of the hipo cars we love, but it happened to 4 doors too, just no one pays any attention to the detail of these cars.

About the only vehicles that actually got destroyed were the ones that had new "technology" of the day that may or may not have reached the public later as regular production. The manufacturers were in business to make money. If a car was built as something that was never to make it to regular production, but met all the FMVSSs, then you can bet that they sold it to some dealer somewhere.

Even the vast majority of cars that had all of the experimential race stuff that later became available as RPOs got sneeked out the back door to some favored racer even though Chevrolet was not publicly sanctioning racing.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,026 Times in 513 Posts

It doesn't hurt that replacing the dash pad gets you most of the way toward "re-VIN-ing" a '70 Cuda......

Regarding the '71 LS-6 Chevelles, I think '71 was a big transistion year for the manufacturers between upcoming emissions and falling performance sales due to insurance. As a result, a number of things got killed in the 11th hour, well after tooling was made up and parts were made. Ford's equivalent would be the 1971 Boss 302 Mustang. Promo pics were taken, and a number of parts and even '71 coded "Boss 302" decal kits have made their way out into the marketplace.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[
I have never seen a magazine test car that was a "factory" conversion that it was not noted as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

except later in life like the infamous 421 GTO and other "ringers" that were not exactly as they were presented ...

Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't hurt that replacing the dash pad gets you most of the way toward "re-VIN-ing" a '70 Cuda......

Regarding the '71 LS-6 Chevelles, I think '71 was a big transistion year for the manufacturers between upcoming emissions and falling performance sales due to insurance. As a result, a number of things got killed in the 11th hour, well after tooling was made up and parts were made. Ford's equivalent would be the 1971 Boss 302 Mustang. Promo pics were taken, and a number of parts and even '71 coded "Boss 302" decal kits have made their way out into the marketplace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they DID build the larger displacement Boss 351, which flies in the face of the insurance killing big engines.

I had a 9000 mile Boss 302 that I sold to a guy in Rockford Ill. in the mid 70s that had a Boss 351 and a Boss 429. My car completed his collection.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 PM

I believe that is the black Camino out of the Pat M collection in Phoenix. It was offered to me in about '01. Supposed to have original engine and docs. I've looked at the car but not the docs. I was told that the Tonowanda records indicated that those '71 engines were for Caminos.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Hello
I felt that i must reply to this one. The engine that i currently run in my 70 LS-6 car was purchased many years back and is a 1972 crate LS-6 (all date coded) #289 block, #291 heads and was never taken apart when i got it, hell it is still the standard bore with the O.G. pistons, crank, manifold. the only thing that i did when i rebuilt it was grind the crank 10/10 CRR on the deck with no Vin # just thought i would reply. Geoff.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SS454Elky

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that is the black Camino out of the Pat M collection in Phoenix. It was offered to me in about '01. Supposed to have original engine and docs. I've looked at the car but not the docs. I was told that the Tonowanda records indicated that those '71 engines were for Caminos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to look for a build sheet in mine one of these days in case that tach has meaning!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually more than decals and parts got out. A whole car escaped. It's been featured in Mustang Monthly and it is the real deal.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2994405

Which is why we should never say never about ALMOST anything.