Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Motion Nova????

In June of 2005 there was a 1970 chevelle motion car in Arizona on ebay. If I remember correctly the seller said in the ad. ( I have ad somewhere). Joel said he thought he remembered the car. The seller paid the 1500.00 and Joel said he did not have any docs on the car. The car was sold as a non motion chevelle. I believe now the car is a well documented Motion Chevelle. Maybe I'm reading into this a little to much,(which is probably the case).
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JD502</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In June of 2005 there was a 1970 chevelle motion car in Arizona on ebay. If I remember correctly the seller said in the ad. ( I have ad somewhere). Joel said he thought he remembered the car. The seller paid the 1500.00 and Joel said he did not have any docs on the car. The car was sold as a non motion chevelle. I believe now the car is a well documented Motion Chevelle. Maybe I'm reading into this a little to much,(which is probably the case). </div></div>. Ring. Ring. Hello,this is bob. Hey bob,this is Joel in Florida. Just wanted you to know that there is a Chevrolet in Arizona that I think you should buy. I know you've been looking for one of my cars and it would behoove you to buy this car. Hint hint,
Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Can we stop with the Joel bashing. If Joel didn't have any docs on the Chevelle but later it had them it could be that someone did more digging and found a prior owner etc. if you have facts, state them but don't put out stories that some guy said etc.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

I worked with Joel Documenting the Moray GT when I owned it, was it easy? No. did he say it was one of his right away? Nope, But when I found the guy who painted it the wrong color originally ( A bass boat green metallic, he sprayed the yellow over grey primer, DUH!) and when I found the guy who put the interior in the Car (Dondee, good guy, still in business) he remembered the car. Listen, I just turned 50, there are things I can't remember I did yesterday, and when I talk to people about, uhm, &quot;events&quot; and stunts I pulled in the 80's and they say, &quot;Ron! Do you remember when you did that?&quot; I can honestly say it takes a couple of days to jog my memory. Joel is a Good Cat and a legend. Honestly, chasing down info on this car was AWESOME! It was like openning up the Hands of Time and peeking back into these folks lives..I have two cars now I'm trying to document, one I believe to be a motion Car, but I wouldn't approach Joel with it yet, I don't have enough info yet....(then I gotta figure out this 68 roadster that I think is a yenko car, but that's another story)...I agree with Charlie, I think Joel is a good cat, I enjoy the time that I have spent with him and the stories, The Stories! Wow....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Ron, what you've just described is really the crux of the matter when documenting a real Motion Perf built car....and that is that JR apparently did not keep all invoices for work they performed, but relies on photographs, NICB or perhaps input from others in his shop that may remember a particular car.
It also appears that, at least once, money has been sent for possible confirmation (Rich's Camaro) &amp; there was no response (I'm assuming the check was cashed). It's also apparent that at least 1 car got a verbal 'no', then later confirmed and I understand how that can be possible. But, very inconsistent and particularly for that seller
It's a question of the factual 'paper trail' evidence vs present day photographic/hearsay evidence and JR's memory and paying for letter printed on his stationary...perform your due diligence, know that real documentation matters and caveat emptor

Also heard thru the grapevine that the Iowa/ebay Chevelle with all the Motion evidence got a maybe letter and not a full confirmation...what does that really mean [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM

I would love to know specifically what type of Motion Nova is the car in question supposed to be?

It makes no sense to bash Joel on anything to do with this Nova. If the right info can be presented to Joel, and it is compelling enough it will become a documented car. As of right now, it is very far from being even a Motion car, let alone a BM car.

There are a lot of people NOT commenting on this thread. I probably should stay out of it too, but here we are 3 pages into it and I'm entering in. It seems like several of the posts are from those who get frequent phone calls from Dan, especially when threads on his car come up. I'm reading many of Dan's speculations posted by others, which are far from having a healthy perspective on both sides of this situation. As much as Dan may believe these things ideas to be true, he has a jaded and flawed perspective but nobody will convince him of this. In his head he is justified. He is a passionate guy and wears his heart on his sleeve. Helps people when he can which is great for those people. All those positive points don't make up for when a guy's wrong. He needs to find more to support his claims and resubmit. Instead, energy has been spent trying to cast a negative light on Joel.

Again, what is the car supposed to be with all of this research? Any old pics? I've heard that Dan felt his Nova was the 1st L88 Phase III Motion Nova. How did he submit things to Joel? Does Dan still believe he has the 1st?

Was it the original owner, Freddy Calas buys a new Nova then goes to Motion for a Phase III treatment including L88, interior color change, exterior color change, tow tabs? Was Freddy a business owner or somehow independently wealthy to afford all of this? Was the car dealer traded and financed both on purchase and Motion conversion? There may be a paper trail in the financing then, plus it could then be a BM car! Other theories?

One of the strangest things with this car is the whole fuel line running through the interior of the car poking out near the small block heater hoes area in the firewall. Who does that? The single Dupree/Autopulse fuel pump claimed to be mounted under the car ain't gonna support enough horsepower.

He had lots of other vintage speed equipment in the trunk and around the car. When I asked where he got some of the components he said he didn't know. Either it came with the car or it came from somewhere else, and I don't think he forgot. At one point I felt there was merit to the possibility to his car being at Motion's shop. The more real motion cars I've had the chance to get up close and personal with- such as Lud's 68 Camaro, the further Dan's car becomes form anything of the sort. At best, it might have been in the Motion shop a little later in life. It is a shame Dan feels slighted by Joel, but more info is needed to support a Motion connection.

So are we talking BM, later L88 Motion conversion, or just been at the Motion shop? What is this Nova supposed to be?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we stop with the Joel bashing. If Joel didn't have any docs on the Chevelle but later it had them it could be that someone did more digging and found a prior owner etc. if you have facts, state them but don't put out stories that some guy said etc. </div></div>

Charlie I have done nothing more then state the facts as they have been made public through ebay ads, and the current owner on that chevelle. And yes I have had family dealing with Joel and there has been the same song and dance as other people have recieved. NO ONE new about the car in question, but damm there was a hefty offer from a phone call a few weeks later. The truth is if you run with the right crowd things can happen for you! And this is not just in the automotive world. JMHO!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 AM

So are we talking BM, later L88 Motion conversion, or just been at the Motion shop? What is this Nova supposed to be? [/quote

Only time will tell!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 AM

What is the Actual cost now a days for Joel to Document a car? I do have to say it probably is two cheap if it is still 1k-2k. the price value of these cars goes up so much with documentation. Of course it sucks if its not, but its like a winning lottery ticket if it is!
Anyone know how much it cost to get one documented now?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM

2,500.00 $