Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Preservation forum

Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,111 Times in 546 Posts
Default Layer by layer paint stripping

I'm in the process of disassembling the COPO and now have the inner/outer fenders removed. The guy that did the color change on the car back in 1978 told me he used Imron paint in the engine bay. Now that I have much of the front end off, I can clearly see the transition from original factory black to his gloss black paint. Since my goal is to "preserve" v.s. "restore, is it possible to strip away just the gloss black layer to get back to the factory finish? Particlulary would like to address areas on the A-arms, inner fenders, and a few areas on the front crossmember. Any tips on removing the black paint from the original brake booster? Would like to get back to the plated finish on that. I would like to also get the black off the cowl and get back to the Lemans Blue, but that seems like a very ambitious project
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_3121.JPG IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3119.JPG firewall.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,593 Posts

----Imron is a particularly difficult paint to remove and the original black frame paint is so easy to remove it wipes right off with laquer thinner. Its going to be a problem for you that I, at least, cant see any way to do what you want successfully. Hopefully another member can offer you a better outcome...….Bill S
Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 PM

It looks like the ball joints have been replaced? I suggest the upper arms and dog bone (the bar the arm pivots on) to find some nice original pieces and replace those. Other parts, sand and buff to a low sheen. Aircraft stripper on booster.

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hate to replace any components that are original to the car if I don't have to. Would rather blast and repaint correct instead. Luckily for me, it appears that the underside of the car has not been touched since new, just 50 years of crud accumulation. I'll know more about that once I cut through that stuff. The ball joints are aftermarket, so I will replace those with riveted versions. Thanks again!
Jim
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

I get the whole "preserve" vs "restore" approach. Problem is, there are some things already beyond preserving.

I agree with Bill. If it were lacquer over Imron, no problem. I see no way to remove Imron over lacquer without disturbing the lacquer.

Really easy to duplicate the factory black out of the firewall though. I used some very old RM black lacquer with a PPG flattening agent.

When you clean up the underside, don't be surprised if you find three different colors under there from the firewall to the rear bumper. That is how mine was.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2018, 01:40 AM

When you clean up the underside, don't be surprised if you find three different colors under there from the firewall to the rear bumper. That is how mine was.

Lynn, are you referencing semi-gloss black, primer, & body color overspray when you say 3 different colors?
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 AM

You might could try some deglosser on the glossy parts.I think i got a bottle a Lowes.