Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Events > Other Events

Old 04-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Dan - no I didn't get bowtie sign off, after speaking with Jim Anderson it was really due to my lack of having gone through the NCRS process previously, as he stated he has gotten 5 bowties with cars much MUCH worse than mine... I didn't have my NOS battery in the car yet, my exhaust installed, the correct oil or air filters, my plate frames, master cylinder was at WHITEPOST - my keys with knockouts, my 71 Consumer information booklet... Knowing what I do now, here is no way I would miss bowtie on the next one.

HONESTLY - I shouldn't have taken the car for judging, as I didn't have the time to prep it was well as I had planned. I have had entirely too much non paying work in the last 6 months... (searching for land, walking land, meeting lawyers, and building contractors, grading contractors and building manufacturers all seems like fun, except when your time is being consumed spending money and not making it :/ )

I am running around crazy- finishing the 73 RS LT Z28, fixing the paint on a Warbonnet 71 LT1 roadster which came in on Monday... I need to go to get the Citrus 70 Z28 which I haven't even seen since early Feb and get it cleaned and detailed prior to prepping the Black 71 LS5 roadster for bowtie -

Sometime I need to find the time to finish up my LT1 prior to the NCRS nationals in July...
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

Last edited by firstgenaddict; 04-20-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:19 PM

Thanked 3,998 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgenaddict View Post
Dan - no I didn't get bowtie sign off, after speaking with Jim Anderson it was really due to my lack of having gone through the NCRS process previously, as he stated he has gotten 5 bowties with cars much MUCH worse than mine... I didn't have my NOS battery in the car yet, my exhaust installed, the correct oil or air filters, my plate frames, master cylinder was at WHITEPOST - my keys with knockouts, my 71 Consumer information booklet... Knowing what I do now, here is no way I would miss bowtie on the next one.

HONESTLY - I shouldn't have taken the car for judging, as I didn't have the time to prep it was well as I had planned.
If Bowtie is your intent, BE CAREFUL! The intent of Bowtie is not to upgrade, restore or "Fluff" to a certain level. Is the component the very same piece that was installed at St. Louis and HAS NEVER been removed in the life of the car. Condition is secondary.

The scoring goes like this, Is this the original part, not removed from new, YES or NO. Wrench marks or shiny bolt threads score NO. To receive a Star in each of the four areas of the car, each area must be 80-85 % YES.

Example: Say your exhaust is the original, but full of holes and crumbling. That is a YES. You replace it with nice original exhaust from another car, that is a NO.

Cleaning is allowed and encouraged, but do it CAREFULLY so as to preserve paint daubs, chalk marks etc.

Bowtie is a rewarding experience, Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 AM

I had numerous at length discussions with the lead judge at the event (who is the one upon first walk around asked if I was there for signoff... and subsequently informed me that the C3 judges after looking over the car on thursday night agreed it should be checked for signoff.) Additionally I spoke to the owner of the ZR1 who has a large collection of unrestored original bumper cars with as low as 2000 miles... the most revealing quote of the weekend was "unfortunately, now this car has history"
Which is code for if people had not have seen it there are things which could be done to enable it to bowtie.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Hi James, that is a tough position.

Bill, Dave and I went through the Bowtie together and achieved 4-Stars (4 Stars = the Bowtie Award) with our respective '67 L36 Convertibles. Now that you know 3 forum members have recent experience, I'll offer assistance however possible to ensure you get good info.

I would take what BW said above to heart. You do not want to be in the position where your car has been massaged into survivor/originality status. The judges are forensic experts with memories unlike anything I've seen before. That is what the Bloomington Survivor/Benchmark process allows for - greater variance. There are a number of unrestored Vettes that could never Bowtie but fly through the Bloomington process. There are others that excel in NCRS and not in Bloomington.

Good luck and happy to help.

Dan
67since67 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 01:41 PM

Great pictures, great cars, great people. Thanks for sharing.

I echo Dan and Bill. Very tough process and need to know the ins and outs of it. Happy to be of assistance.

Best,
Dave