Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old Today, 07:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,424 Posts
Default 1966 Chevelle Muncie repair

I dug into the Chevelle trans yesterday to change out the tail housing. This was from last year at SCR, when the driveshaft went into a severe vibration and snapped it off.

I managed to get it on the lift last July and that is where it has sat since, so I am working in the back building cave with a "trouble" light.

Yesterday, I got the housing off and let it sit and drain/drip until this morning. The reverse idler shaft was a pitb and kept wanting to slide out, which let the forward thrust washer fall down. I was able to get it back in place and the shaft all the way in and then held it with the strap.

This morning, I cleaned the gasket surfaces until they were near sterile for the used gasket to seal on. I used Ultra Black sealant on both sides. I have a tool box in the back building, but it's not very well equipt. I dug around and found 3 round objects to use as a gasket holder and housing guide and put them to work. I could have walked back up to the main shop and gotten 3 cut off bolts, bit's 200 ft and I'd already walked about 1/2 mile between yesterday and this morning, fetching more tools...

The second time was the winner. The first install, I had the reverse gear pushed all the way forward and the shift arm on the housing missed engaging the gear, so off it came again and I had to fish the thrust washer up and get the idler pin back in, etc. etc. etc... THEN I measured the distance from the arm to the end of the housing and matched that by moving the gear rearward about 1/4".
Anyway, the housing is on and the reverse gear works as it should.

The underside is all back together. I did not put lube in it. I want the sealer to cure for 24 hrs before it is subjected to the lube. I, also, need to attach the handle from inside. I put the original driveshaft in to move the car around and swap out the 4.56 axle for the 3.31. At that time, I will swap out the rear yoke and install the new driveshaft.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (Today), dykstra (Today)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...